Alcohol advice.

jd1212

Hi people,

Looking for some advice. I didnt drink any alcohol for Jan which made following Exante easier.

I am off the wagon now and out on friday. I will drink vodka but pubs dont have coke zero or friendly mixers.

What mixers will do the least amount of damage?

I am aware of drinking dangers on VCLD so will take it easy but no point kidding myself ; better to be prepared and armed with knowledge of whats best.

Cheers :D

There's no mixers that are VLCD friendly if you have diet coke you'll probably end up out of ketosis anyway so you'd be safer knocking yourself out of ketosis before your night out if you're going to drink. much safer that way

Can I just add that not everyone comes out of ketosis drinking coke, so you may be ok.
In my experience of low carb diets....and I've done many (lol) ....some people can still drink it and remain in ketosis and lose weight.....though some people find their weight stalls.
The thing with alcohol is that your body burns the alcohol off first before it goes back to burning fat which is why it can affect your weight loss...or not as the case may be!
The danger as you know, is that the effects of alcohol can hit you more rapidly when in ketosis, so be careful. You'll be a cheap date!!! Lol

Will drinking alcohol affect ketosis?

No and yes. The liver can make ketones out of alcohol, so technically, when you drink you'll continue to produce ketones and so will remain in ketosis. The problem is ... alcohol converts more easily to ketones than fatty acids, so your liver will use the alchol first, in preference to fat. Thus, when you drink, basically your FAT burning is put on hold until all the alcohol is out of your system.

This rapid breakdown of alcohol into ketones and acetaldehyde (the intoxicating by-product) ... tends to put low carbers at risk for quicker intoxication ... especially if no other food is consumed to slow absorption.

Sensible drinking is not a problem.......enjoying your evening, should you chose to drink

Xxx

Last edited:
I have to totallly totally disagree ANY kind of alcohol when youre in ketosis is dangerous!! The issue isn't will it knock you out of ketosis or affect your weight loss it's much more important than that.

If people know the full risks and still choose to drink alcohol thats one thing but I font think we can really say on a forum like this that drinking alcohol on a VLCD is not a problem!! Remember people on Exante are coming here as first time VLCDers with no counsellors etc to ask for advice so the advice on here is probably more important than any of the other VLCDs

Link found: Post-exercise ketosis, ketone bodies

DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE KETOTIC!
Alcohol is a powerful inhibitor of gluconeogenesis. In fact, it forces part of the gluconeogenic metabolic process into reverse. This means that if all the glucose in the blood is being derived from gluconeogenesis then the consumption of alcohol will inevitably cause the blood glucose level to fall. Worse still, the alcohol also stops ketone body production, thus leaving the brain entirely without fuel.
A person who is ketotic is 100% reliant on gluconeogenesis to maintain adequate levels of glucose in the blood. If, under these circumstances alcohol is taken, the person will become disorientated and might lose consciousness, not just from the alcohol, but from low blood sugar. Needless to say, this could be very dangerous, and even fatal.
Alcohol does not have these effects if the glycogen stores in the liver are normal. Under these circumstances the blood glucose level in the blood is maintained by the breakdown of liver glycogen, a process that is not influenced by alcohol. If a person becomes confused under these circumstances it is due simply to the pharmacological effects of the alcohol!

Full thread about this here http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-d...ation/26311-dangers-alcohol-when-ketosis.html

Last edited:
I have to agree with Sandy. The risks far outweigh anything else. Ive had a night off where ive drank a fair bit...bt i made sre i knocked myself out of ketosis first. Ok it was a pain getting back into ketosis but it was the only sensible option. Some people are ok with a few drinks, but ive seen posts of others who have been very ill. Its jst not worth the risk in my opinion. I hope u have a fab night out, but do it sensibly mrs hehe xx

Same here. I have drank alcohol whilst on a VLCD before, but I made sure I knocked myself out of ketosis beforehand. For me the problem isn't getting back into ketosis again, it's the hunger after I've had a drink and resisting those curry's, kebab's and pizza's.

Yep same here. Its the fear of going back to old ways when ive had a drink....the temptation lies in the turkish kebab shop at the end of the night....and next day hangover cravings lol x

Was good of them to reply so quickly :) As aweight loss team they will advise on weight loss....just think its important people know the risks....and can make an informed decision. Personally ive had a few drinks in ketosis on my previous attempt at the diet last year and i was fine, but others have posted about being really ill. the joys of the human body eh haha, not one of us the same as the other xx

It was good of them to post so quick....I only sent it at 6.30 this morning befor setting off for work!! Especially as I have read on here that some say they are not too hot at getting back to you. I have to say, I am impressed!

Anyway....I am satisfied with that answer. That's not to say I recommend drinking whilst on plan, I certainly don't , it's up to each individual to make up their own mind. Yes it can make you quite ill, but I have been known to be very, very ill from alcohol even when I am not dieting!!! Lol
Is drinking ever good for you??? No is the answer to that, but hey, we still do it!

Xxx

totally agree, once informed of the risks, its up to the individual how they do things. oh god yeah....im not a good drinker, cant handle it at the best of times haha x

I knew there was an advantage to not getting into ketosis. Still get ill from the alcohol mind you but thats due to a lack of anything solid in my stomach, lol.

Back