Alternatives to regular exercise...what do you do?

DaddyPig

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I hate traditional forms of regular exercise, ie: running, swimming, etc, and I refuse to even go to the gym anymore.

Maybe its the boredom of jogging, maybe its the repetition of swimming back and forth in the same pool, maybe its the 'watch yourself workout in the mirror' attitude at the gym, but my god its a wonder people want to exercise at all.

I much prefer to turn my daily routine activities into my workout, besides saving time it can make dull tasks more fun.

For example, I started to cycle to work (although not of late because of a *minor* health issue, but I should be back next week so I'll start again). Its about 7 1/2 miles each way, and I can vary my routes to include major A-roads, country lanes or even the canal paths. I try to beat my times on the main roads, or simply enjoy the scenery during a hard ride down the rural back lanes. Its safe to say that its a good workout, even at 3am after a late shift, and only takes me about 10 minutes longer than the same journey in the car.

Taking the stairs instead of the lift. Seems boring but spice it up by pessing the lift button, waiting for the doors to open, reach in and press the floor button you are going to, then race off up the stairs to beat it to your floor. Even better if someone is getting in the lift.

These are just a couple but I don't want to make this post too long just now. I would be interested to see what great ideas people have to take exercise from their daily lives.

:D

I some times do some squats in my work chair when sitting or standing at work.

I play roller derby. It's amazing exercise and great fun!

Back