Alton towers!

Littleslimmingbee

Gold Member
off to alton towers next weekend, from saturday-monday.. just wanderd if anyone knew what sort of damage il be looking at for lunch times when im in the theme park?? .. il be eating in resteraunt breaky and tea.. so hoping il be able to make relativly low syn choices.. but i cant go without eating all day obvsiously.. so as iv never been before.. if anyone has can you give me any insight?? x

EEEEEEK!!!!!

Take it with you, fast food mainly and expensive. You can get salads but not much cop and as I said expensive.
When we have gone we pack it all up with us and munch all day. Cool bags are a blessing.

In a survey of healthy food available at leading tourist attractions in the UK, Alton Towers fared poorly compared to others.
The survey, conducted by The Soil Association, ranked Alton Towers joint seventh out of 14th. You might not think that was too bad, until you realise that the park scored just 5 points out of a possible 25 in the report.

The survey, carried out in June/July 2006, saw a 'secret mum' head to various tourist attractions, and rate each one on a predefined scorechart. The categories included "how long it took to find fruit", "availability of healthy drinks in vending machines" and "quality of children's meals".

Alton Towers scored 0/3 in the "access to free fresh drinking water" category, 0/5 in the "healthy food promotion" category, and it took over an hour of searching before the 'secret mum' could find any fruit at the park.

The report states: "Branding is very close to the heart of the Alton Towers experience, in common with all its sister attractions in the Madame Tussauds Group which share the same set of corporate food and drink partners.

"While it's very much a kiosk culture, the restaurants do offer a haven of sorts and a degree of food choice. Down Towers Street, the Tower Restaurant and Corner Coffee both have orange and apple juice - though neither is marked on the menu - and between them they can also offer wraps, salads, soup and sandwiches. Ironically, it is the whopper MacDonalds on the child-oriented Cred Street that is among the leaders, offering carrot sticks instead of fries, organic semi-skimmed milk and fruit juice instead of Coke, and a 'fruit bag' as options within its Happy Meal. More disturbingly the family meals deals on offers [sic], offered no fruit or vegetable portion (unless you count deep fried onion rings), and no healthy drinks.

"As recommended by Day Chipper, Eastern Express remains far and away the best place to eat, with a range of curries and daal, including vegetable options, and salad stuffed wraps. There are also bowls of fresh fruit on the counters."

Alton Towers responded to the report, saying: "Given the irregular nature of most people's visits to a theme park, and the fact that it is regarded as a one or two day 'treat', Alton Towers does not feel that we can take serious nutritional responsibility for our visitors while they are with us. That said, we work hard to ensure we offer an extensive choice of food for our guests to enjoy at a range of High Street prices. Our own restaurants and kiosks offer everything from sandwiches to full meals; as well as a wide range of snacks including fresh fruit - with menus based on visitor research and actual sales. Our catering partners such as McDonalds also work hard to provide alternative and balanced choices. Finally, we offer the facility for people to bring and eat their own picnics - giving parents complete control over the food their family consume on their day out."

Phil X

Oh dear god. :( lol so im well and truely ****ered then, unless im prepared to empty my pockets and spend my day finding anything suitable :-|

were staying at a close by premier inn to save moneys, but as were there from saturday to monday and were in the theme park sunday all day, im worried mostly about sunday.. i dont know how much i could take without it going off/funny or generally not lasting.. argh! stupid world.. why cant they make dieting easier! bloody cheaper and easier to hit the maccy d's drive thru!! x

Really don't worry you can do it, with the cool bags get loads of healthy snacky bits. Tubs of pasta/rice, salad bits, cold meats, SW Quiche. Robinsons squash.

It takes a bit of planning , but you will find it far better than the crap they sell and you will be quids in.

Phil x

Thanks phil.. its really appriciated .. im going to walk around morrisons like a looser tomorrow and make a list of the things i think i might be able to take and keep. . . where can i buy these cool bags from>? i dont think i own any at present lol xxx

You can by really cheap in Morrisons, they come in different sizes. They usually come with little ice packs. May I suggest that you wrap bits up in cling film, wrap it again with foil, as this keeps it cooler longer.

You are not a losser, I can tell you that the parks are great fun !!!! but do take the piss with food prices and value for money. We have always taken are food in with us, and bought our lad a treat. You will also find that you can hire a locker if you don't want to lugg it around.

I promise you will be far more satified with what you take, and know your still following the plan.

Phil x

I think my opninion is going to be unpopular SW-wise, but i wouldn't take my own food, carry as little as possible, have whatever you fancy to eat and you'll be doing so much walking that it won't do to much damage.
It's a little break for you and you'll have great fun and be too busy to overeat.
I'll duck now ready for the yells!!!!!!

I know what you mean eternity, but I object on the financial side rather than the fat/calories side - if I were to have a flexisyn day, it definitely wouldn't be spent by eating very expensive and not very nice fast food from Alton Towers!

A chinese and a big chocolate pudding for me any day...

haha, i think we could all debate the best way to use our syns lol.. but unfortunatly i dont think i could eat a dominoes in my jammies in the middle of alton towers! haha. . my plan of action is to avoid eating my B box in the morning like i usually do, in an attempt to damage contoll as i will end up eating somthing bread/wrap like i expect to avoid the real junk.. take loads of fruit and see how my day progresses and eat as well as i can.

thanks for all ur advise people :) x

When i was in uni i lived in Crewe (20 mins away from the park) and i had a part time job at KFC (how ironic!) Anyway i was transferred for the day to work in Alton Towers in the KFC. I personally would try and steer clear from fast foods resturants not just for the syn damage but you will spend valuable time in these places to get served and to find a seat when you could be queing for your next ride! Take a few things with you... Egg butties, low fat snacks, fruit and even your fav slimming world drinks like diet coke. You will save a packet and also the stress of queing up for food will not ruin your day!

Whatever you decide to do i hope you have a wonderful day and the weather is on its best behaviour for you!

Oh and let us know which rides you went on and which was your fav coz i would like to visit Alton Towers with my BF to go on the new ride!

Enjoy!! xxx

Back