Am I doing this wrong? Eating too much? Newbie - help!

Well I am either doing this wrong or I have discovered the key to life long satisfaction...

Can you tell me if I am eating too much?

Today's menu...

3 Weetabix with milk (2 are heb milk is hea and extra Weetabix is 3.5 syns)

1 muller light

Handful of tesco wafer thin ham grabbed from fridge as I walked by..

4 scrambled eggs and half tin of beans for lunch - squirt of brown sauce 1.5 syns

Tea will be beefcans bean casserole (1 syn per portion and I used half a casserole mix) With roasted bunt squash and greens.

Pud will be bananaants yogurt .

If I eat like this all week I am going to lose... Right? Or am I eating too much?
Xx

Well I am either doing this wrong or I have discovered the key to life long satisfaction...

Can you tell me if I am eating too much?

Today's menu...

3 Weetabix with milk (2 are heb milk is hea and extra Weetabix is 3.5 syns)

1 muller light

Handful of tesco wafer thin ham grabbed from fridge as I walked by..

4 scrambled eggs and half tin of beans for lunch - squirt of brown sauce 1.5 syns

Tea will be beefcans bean casserole (1 syn per portion and I used half a casserole mix) With roasted bunt squash and greens.

Pud will be bananaants yogurt .

If I eat like this all week I am going to lose... Right? Or am I eating too much?
Xx

Couple of things spring to mind.

You look like you are doing Extra Easy, and you should try to have 1/3rd superfree with your meals. The point is to replace higher calorie free foods with lower calorie superfree ones, whilst still filling you up.

So, whilst what you ate for breakfast & lunch is all free, the lack of superfree could be an issue

Having said this, you may find you still loose if you ate like this for a week, this is dependent on your diet pre SW though.

Dinner is absolutely fine on the Superfree front btw. Whats the 1 syn for just out of interest?

For breakfast maybe have a banana instead of that 3rd weetabix (it'd save you some syns as well). For lunch, maybe a 3 egg scrambled eggs and some grilled tomatoes plus the baked beasn.

Also, whilst you can snack on free foods, with Extra Easy you should try to snack on superfree first, so maybe an apple or something rather than the handful of ham.

its not that you are doing anything wrong at all, or making bad choices, its just that there are even better choices you could make.

Either way, you aren't eating too much! And don't force yourself to eat things you don't like or fancy. SW works best when you eat more. I don't know how, its basically magic, but I always do better when I stuff my face!

Thank you for your help! Yes, I had planned to get half my plate full of super free tonight but totally forgot about it at lunchtime, I must try to think of lunches that will allow me to get this in!

Sorry for all the mistakes in the post above, bloomin' predictive text! It was supposed to say that I had counted one syn per portion for the half packet of casserole mix that I bunged in the slow cooker. I think it wouldn't be as much as one syn but best to over count it.

Thanks for the advice, I will get my mind back on the super free!

Thank you for your help! Yes, I had planned to get half my plate full of super free tonight but totally forgot about it at lunchtime, I must try to think of lunches that will allow me to get this in!

Sorry for all the mistakes in the post above, bloomin' predictive text! It was supposed to say that I had counted one syn per portion for the half packet of casserole mix that I bunged in the slow cooker. I think it wouldn't be as much as one syn but best to over count it.

LOL Don't worry, I've said some right out weird stuff on here due to predictive text.

Its not a problem if a couple of meals a week haven't got the superfree in, just if you routinuely don't have them x

I thought the same when I started, but it does work! I've tried lots of different fruits since starting because I wasn't much of a fruit eater before. I look at the whoopsie shelf in the supermarket for cheap packs of things like pre cut mango and berries, which are usually expensive

I'm a newbie too and finding it hard to get my head around the fact that I can eat as much as will fill me! Was so used to feeling constantly hungry on another plan.
Def agree with adding in the superfree, it really does fill you up and you can save your syns for a treat instead of food iykwim! I'm mean with my syns like that, lol!
Best of luck with the plan hun!

Carmilla, thats a great idea, hadnt thought of that, I have just been avoiding the expensive fruits, but they are my favorites! thanks for the tip!

i find that by having boiled eggs or sliced veg prepared and ready for a fridge raider is a good idea.

cant wait for british strawberry season xx

I agree with what has been said already. You are doing great and I don't think you eating to much there are just a few things you could tighten up on really.

out of interest what casserole mix are you using as I haven't seen any as low syn as that? :)

I have found that, the first week I lost a goodly amount, but that was just because I had changed my eating habits, and then the next week when I started to eat 1/3 superfree's that it really started to work, for me keep up the good work, and eat those superfree's. :)

Just a mention about your milk hea as well. Make sure you have all of your allowance in the day otherwise it will have to be synned. Hope this helps :) Sounds as if youre doing fab though. Just keep popping that superfree and a good loss will be on the cards come next w i. :)

Just a mention about your milk hea as well. Make sure you have all of your allowance in the day otherwise it will have to be synned. Hope this helps :) Sounds as if youre doing fab though. Just keep popping that superfree and a good loss will be on the cards come next w i. :)

Is that true, you have to use the full amount of hex or it becomes synned?

No it is not true hun - several people have phoned SWHQ and had this confirmed. When you think about it, why would they make you syn it if you have say 200mls semi skimmed milk when they say you dont need to have it at all ;)

It was supposed to say that I had counted one syn per portion for the half packet of casserole mix that I bunged in the slow cooker. I think it wouldn't be as much as one syn but best to over count it.

I'd double-check this if I were you. I had a look and a lot of the Coleman's packet of mixes have on average of 7 Syns per sachet. I definitely wouldn't guesstimate if not sure. If unclear simply divide use the 20cals:1 Syn ratio.

I'd double-check this if I were you. I had a look and a lot of the Coleman's packet of mixes have on average of 7 Syns per sachet. I definitely wouldn't guesstimate if not sure. If unclear simply divide use the 20cals:1 Syn ratio.

Hi there, sorry perhaps I didn't make it clear. I said earlier I had used half the packet and so then I am counting 1 syn per portion. Would this not be correct? We had four meals from the casserole so I counted the packet as being 1 syn per portion.

Snacking on free wafer thin ham is absolutley fine hun!! There is a couple of pages in the slimming world book "fab FREE food lifesavers" where it tells you that you can snack on cold meats, skinless chicken legs, free quiche and many more things!! The whole point of this plan is all the lovely free and superfree foods you can enjoy whenever you like as is stated in the book!! Only start re-addressing your snacks if your weight loss starts to slow down, then up the superfree instead of free between meals!! Good luck with plan love!! You will do amazing xx

No it is not true hun - several people have phoned SWHQ and had this confirmed. When you think about it, why would they make you syn it if you have say 200mls semi skimmed milk when they say you dont need to have it at all ;)

Hiya patchwork puss (waving). I am really confused now, I know it doesnt take much! Our c told us if we didnt have our full allowance then we had to syn it. I dont understand when you say " When you think about it, why would they make you syn it if you have say 200mls semi skimmed milk when they say you dont need to have it at all. Have I not read my book properly (that is a possibility not read the new one fully). ?? Think I will ask her again on Monday. I am having the almond blue diamond milk at the moment and that is a whopping 875 mls.

Hiya patchwork puss (waving). I am really confused now, I know it doesnt take much! Our c told us if we didnt have our full allowance then we had to syn it. I dont understand when you say " When you think about it, why would they make you syn it if you have say 200mls semi skimmed milk when they say you dont need to have it at all. Have I not read my book properly (that is a possibility not read the new one fully). ?? Think I will ask her again on Monday. I am having the almond blue diamond milk at the moment and that is a whopping 875 mls.

Could it be for example, if you only have 100 mls of ss milk, rather than using that as your HexA you could syn the milk & have a full quota of another HexA like 40g low fat cheese? I remember quite a while ago this was brought up & ???think that was the conclusion!

No dont think so. If you were doing red or green plans then you can have two as n two bs. If doing ee then only one, in which case I understand synning the milk if having cheese as well. Think I will have to ask the question again on Monday, but I am sure she will say the same as before, ie if youre having your milk a a healthy extra then you have to have all of the allowance otherwise its synned. Its interesting isnt it, and sometimes frustrating, that we seem to have different answers to questions sometimes, both with the c's and head office.

Basically your consultant has given you wrong information but you can contact SW if you want to check. But here is a copy of the email they sent me when I asked this question and others have been told the same

Hi xxxx

Thank you for your email regarding skimmed milk. The recommendation by Slimming World is 375 ml, however you would not have to syn the 300ml. You do have to take your Healthy Extras A choices, this is important for good health and may aid your weight loss too.

Any questions and concerns you have regarding Food Optimising you would have to take up with your Consultant.

We wish you every success on your weight loss journey.

Kind regards
Sheila
Member Services

And sorry for confusing you the rest of my message. What I was trying to say was that it says on the SW website that you dont need to use your HEs at all if you dont want it - they are recommended not mandatory. So that being the case why would they make you syn them if you are not using the full listed amount - that makes no logical sense

HTH

ETA Sorry just read this back and it sounds a bit curt, didnt mean it to be. I am not having a go at your consultant and agree its not great that people get told different things xx

Last edited:
Back