Andy Murray

My point was that the press call a Scottish sports star Scottish UNTIL they start winning then THE PRESS change their tune :p

They tend to use both. An issue is always made once the word Brit is used. My husband (who is Scottish) laughs at the way Scots get wound up by this (his Cousins heads nearly explode if a Scot is called British lol). He's lived down here most of his life now and he still is a proud Scot, but he is also a proud Brit. Call all the English Sports Stars British and I honestly don't think most English would even notice.

Last edited:
OMG how often have I had this row.....sorry discussion.
I think overall the scots are much more anti English than the english are anti scots,but obviously not always the case.
I think the problem with Murray is that he did make a very anti English comment at Wimbledon,which was blown up in the press and he will probably never recover from with many tennis fans.Unfortunately he is very young and opinionated and doesn't engage brain first.
I would always like to think I would like the Brit to win...even if I don't like them as a person!
The other thing is that successful sports people are very often not very nice people at all....but some put on a different face for the press

I don't appear to have communciated my point very effectively.:eek:

My point is not that a Scottish sportsman should not be proud to be British - it is the fact that some members of the press only start describing them as British once they become successful. Almost as if they don't deserve it until they have the potential to win something for GB.

Just my opinion - which, by defination is neither right nor wrong, just an opinion :)

xx

I don't appear to have communciated my point very effectively.:eek:

My point is not that a Scottish sportsman should not be proud to be British - it is the fact that some members of the press only start describing them as British once they become successful. Almost as if they don't deserve it until they have the potential to win something for GB.

Just my opinion - which, by defination is neither right nor wrong, just an opinion :)

xx

I've never really noticed this to be true. I've heard Scottish people mention this (LOTS), but because its not an issue with me, I suppose if it has happened its not that big a deal enough for it to register.

Thats why I love the Olympics. None of this sillyness is there. GREAT BRITAIN ALL THE WAY...

Of course its your opinion hun and I'm sure lots (possibly most) people will agree with you..... thats the beauty of opinions.xx

Ive noticed that too and its really quite irritating, equally irritating is the number of times successful sports people are described as English rather than British, the media DO seem to adapt it to suit themselves.

I suppose its something people might not notice though. Id agree that probably most Scottish people dont support English football teams but again thats down to the media. Its not we dont want England to win but we know if they do the media will go on and on and on and on and on about it, forever! Id definitely say its the media that drives the wedge between the countries.

Ive noticed that too and its really quite irritating, equally irritating is the number of times successful sports people are described as English rather than British, the media DO seem to adapt it to suit themselves.

I suppose its something people might not notice though. Id agree that probably most Scottish people dont support English football teams but again thats down to the media. Its not we dont want England to win but we know if they do the media will go on and on and on and on and on about it, forever! Id definitely say its the media that drives the wedge between the countries.

But thats the thing hun, I don't think most English feel there is a wedge between the countries. I don't. My family are Scottish. I think it is one of the most beautiful places on this planet and I love the people. When it comes down to sports my hubbys Cousins really hate the English. One even bought an Argentian football top when we played the Argies. Now I'm sorry, that is just plain crazy.

The media are a bunch of idiots and nothing they say should ever be taken into account.

I have to admit that drives me nuts.... you see it here all the time, theres a big football match on and the sales of the foreign shirts go through the roof. But thats a whole other mentality of morons. I think theyre the ones that just deliberately want to be antagonistic.

I think most of us do support our neighbouring countries, if the media would stop being such a pain about it, it would be so much more apparant.

I have to admit it drives me nuts when theres football on and no matter what the occasion they bring out some old footage of a long forgotten English match. That just doesnt help lol

A bit of light hearted rivalry is good, nice and healthy but sadly not something you now see that often :(

I know just what you meant.

When Greg Rusedski had a chance of winning something he was heralded by the press as being a British sporting star.

As soon as it was obvious he was going to win b*gger all he went back to being Canadian.

Go figure :rolleyes::D

Starlight - re the Scottish shops selling foreign shirts...I can't believe that. How Mad!! I must say that never happens down here when Scotland play, we don't see the rival shirts on sale, most want Scotland to win...HONESTLY!! I don't even think of us being separate countries. I think of all of Great Britain being one!! I think that is more of an English thing though. Do you think the Scottish media encourage the rivalry or you think it is down to history?

Sharon - I love Greg....I wanted him to win Dancing on Ice....British or Canadian...doesn't matter to me....like that was ever going to happen NOT!!!!!!.xx

Starlight - re the Scottish shops selling foreign shirts...I can't believe that. How Mad!! I must say that never happens down here when Scotland play, we don't see the rival shirts on sale, most want Scotland to win...HONESTLY!! I don't even think of us being separate countries. I think of all of Great Britain being one!! I think that is more of an English thing though. Do you think the Scottish media encourage the rivalry or you think it is down to history?

I think they only sell them because theres a demand for them - from a small minority I have to admit though, a very small minority.

I dont actually think its the Scottish media its more the English media, the Scottish media dont support the foreign team.

I know the English Media drive a lot of people mad lol Ive heard so many comments over the years from colleagues about it, usually whenever theres a big English match on the English Media will start harping back to all the matches theyve won in the past... and dont even get me started on the World Cup :rolleyes: I was watching the news a while back in the build up to a big English match and one of the guys at work commented 'I hope they get beaten or else we'll be watching the goals for the next 20 years' THATS more what ticks people off.

However in saying that, your average 'normal' person. although driven demented by the media will still support England, I know my brother and dad always would, as would most of my friends/friends families.

We're not all bad - honest ;)

Of course its your opinion hun and I'm sure lots (possibly most) people will agree with you..... thats the beauty of opinions.xx

Couldn't have said it better myself - Opinions and healthy debate are fab - it's so refreshing to be in a place where people debate but don't take offence!!

xx

Couldn't have said it better myself - Opinions and healthy debate are fab - it's so refreshing to be in a place where people debate but don't take offence!!

xx

Can you feel the love in the room. LOL.

Back