Any bluegrassers??

Come on, someone must like bluegrass music?

I am a bit of a fanatic I must admit :rolleyes:

hi there liam r:wavey:
i have no problems with a bit of bluegrass.but dont know an awfull lot about it.but i love fast fiddle music.
my passion is irish music,i love it!
do you play bluegrass yourself or do you just love to listen?:)

Both. :)
My main instrument is the dobro, and I also dabble in mandolin, fingerstyle guitar (not very bluegrassy) and I have, but can't play, a fiddle.

Irish and Scots music are both amazing too. They are very closely related to bluegrass of course.

The bluegrass bands I listen to most are 'Blue Highway' and 'The Infamous Stringdusters'.

Some of the latter's more recent music has been too progressive for my liking. I like modern bluegrass but some of the very progressive groups seem to do what I call 'country pop'.

I digress...

Last edited:
:character00238:hi liam,nice to meet you.
i know i'm gonna sound daft now,what is a dobro?
i like both mandolin(though it can be a bit quiet)and guitar(what does fingerstyle mean though?)
my bro plays a nice bit of guitar.
i myself am a bit of a fiddler,
though i have let it slip a lot recently,but am gradually getting back into it.in fact i'ts one big reason i want to shed some weight as well,'cos i want to get back out to the odd session now'n then,also i was going to class regularly up untill about 3 yrs ago,but feel quite embarrased at all the weight i've put on:eek:,and need to get my confidence back.
i will be sure to check out your bands when i get a chance.
what started my fiddle mania was a duo called 'folan and davey'i found their cd by accident it's called skin and bow.dont know if you know of them?
i'm also quite keen on a bit of martin hayes and denis cahill,and i do like kevin burke(though my teacher has been known to wince when i mention him,he doesent feel the same,ha ha!)
so glad to meet a fellow muso.:)

oh liam:D
that was really good!thanks for the link.
which one is the dobro,the sort of cut out shaped one?and is the 'face up' guitar a fingerstyle,or have i got it all wrong:confused:?that face up guitar makes a lovely sound,very unique.but you can guess i was immediately drawn to the fiddles,what talented guys!!
i'm still quite new to this link stuff,but will try and put a link on of something i like(unfortunately,i've not found much f and d on line) for you to have a watch of ir you fancy it?
:)

What you call the 'face up' guitar is the dobro.

have a look for Rob Ickes or Jerry Douglas.

:Dha ha!how funny am i?:D
well i really like the sound of it.
what a great instrument.
how long you been playing?

hi liam r.
sorry about the 'ppp',that was my bad editing skills:eek:
i had written a post and then though that it didn't look like you were on here anymore,so took it off again.
sorry to confuse.
was just that very recently,my daughter has discovered a new sound that she loves,and it turns out to be the dobro!
so i thought of you and wondered how you were doing and how you were getting on with your music?
hope you're still playing:)
well,if her interest stays,i may be looking at buying her a dobro at some point in the future(have seen a couple on amazon that don't seem unreasonable price wise,but may be bad quality),any advice you may have on makes and prices welcome;)
one player we were watching was called jerry douglass(bbc transatlantic sessions)fantastic!
who knows maybe i'm gonna have a dobro player in the family!

i have finally started getting back out to the odd session with my fiddle,and have been really enjoying it(though it has been a bit nerve wracking at times:eek:)would be great if my girl can play with me in the future:)

anyway,good to say hello to you again.
hope you are well and happy and have had a good christmas.
and a happy new year to you too.:)

Back