Any men on here?

Slinkydawg

Silver Member
Sorry, not sure where to post this for everyone to see.

Im wondering if there are any men on here who can give me a few pointers to help out my husband. We both need to lose a fair bit of weight and im really enjoying sw. We both previously did ww and did well but we fell off the wagon and cant get back on. Ive just started sw and i love it and i lost 5lbs last week. But for love nor money i cant seem to persuade him to give it a go.

I gather the allowances for men are the same as women which isnt motivatiting him. What do you eat on a general day? I think a red day would suit him most, which is also what ive been doing. im not sure hes in the right frame of mind for a new diet and i cant handle working out HXA's, B's, syns AND ww points.

Anyway, excuse my ramblings. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, I'm a bloke and I find it easier to do green days, pasta/potatoes/cous cous/ beans. I like quorn and can hardly tell the difference if I turn the mince into something saucy. Bolegnaise for eg.

Breakfasts are good too, toast(h extra) beans egg mushroom and quorn sausage all free.

Switch to quorn on green days and watch the weight fly off whilst you are reasonably full.

You can have a bit of lean meat on an evening as an extra.

My hubby joined with me and we both mainly do EE but have done green/red some days.

There are a few men at my group too so he's not the only one.

When we joined the C said for me to stick to 10 syns and my hubby to stick to 15 - no idea why but we can easily stick within our limits so it works for us.

Hope thus helps x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I find sw great as a bloke, I do big portions for lunch and dinner and rarely go hungry. All the free and superfree food make a massive help filling me up. So far in 5 months I have lost 5st 3lb so you can eat lots of food and lose weight

I have just joined SW recently and finding it good because I can eat any amount! And I need that. I too am reluctant to go down the Quarn route but extra lean mince is free, and I eat a lot of chicken too. I am on EE and finding it really good - I'm actually having much more substantial lunches now than I did before starting to diet! My dad who I work with keeps joking about me coming in with stacks of food (which I do 'just in case') And he wonders how I can possibly lose weight eating that much, but so far the losses are going well. Although the seem to be very few of us here, I think SW really is god for men too.

My fiance comes with me to the meetings and he's loving it! Infact he's doing better than me!! Lol! He eats everything I make and he's even started making things himself!
If you dont want to put quorn in bolignese and stuff try making it with lentils instead if you're doing red/green. Its just as nommy! xx

I started last April and so far I have lost 6st plus! I usually do Ee and as the others have said, I eat as much as I want and make lots of new dishes, curries, soups, I have fish & chips, KFC drumsticks, pizza's, pastie's all Slimmers World recipes of course!Good luck.
Pete

bilsat said:
I started last April and so far I have lost 6st plus! I usually do Ee and as the others have said, I eat as much as I want and make lots of new dishes, curries, soups, I have fish & chips, KFC drumsticks, pizza's, pastie's all Slimmers World recipes of course!Good luck.
Pete

Fantastic... It is such an inspiration to see that it can be done!

If you don't like quorn minces' cooked texture, give the dried protein mince from H&B and try. Hubby & I really like it and it's really cheap too (£1.65/375g but makes a good 14 servings ..... 50g dry weight makes enough for both of us).

Hiya,

Lets see if i can help motivate him a little :)

Ok i started 2 weeks ago and i am eating branflakes in the morning, i have a just add hot water 'Mugshot' meal for lunch, plus 2-3 peices of fruit in the daytime, then when i get home we have a good size meal consisting of more or less as much meat, potatoe, pasta, rice, veg as you want, i havent gone hungry on this diet and i also havent touched bread which i used to be addicted to.

BUT i have hardly been using syns during the day so i have been alowing myself a nice treat in the evenings for example i have been having either a frys turkish delight (if i used a few syns in the day as its only 9.5 syns) or a mars bar (if i didnt use any syns in day as they cost 13 syns of you possible 15)

So i am eating well and having a treat most evenings and guess what...

I have lost 16.5lb in 2 weeks......

mad eh, so tell him to get his ass in gear and join you and SUPPORT you on this journey and remind him if he wants to eat more than you its fine as you done measure free or superfree foods!!!

Sorry, not sure where to post this for everyone to see.

Im wondering if there are any men on here who can give me a few pointers to help out my husband. We both need to lose a fair bit of weight and im really enjoying sw. We both previously did ww and did well but we fell off the wagon and cant get back on. Ive just started sw and i love it and i lost 5lbs last week. But for love nor money i cant seem to persuade him to give it a go.

I gather the allowances for men are the same as women which isnt motivatiting him. What do you eat on a general day? I think a red day would suit him most, which is also what ive been doing. im not sure hes in the right frame of mind for a new diet and i cant handle working out HXA's, B's, syns AND ww points.

Anyway, excuse my ramblings. Any help would be appreciated.

By the way there are certan minces which are free you just need to check out which ones and then you dont even have to worry about quorn!

i would check which ones but unfortunately the website seems to have a problem right now

Thanks for your advice. He's a bit of a stick in the mud and blatantly refuses to even try quorn otherwise I think green days would suit him. I'll keep trying to persuade him. I keep testing out different recipes on him. I'll get there in the end!

Last edited:
Btw hate to be a stick in the mud but i believe Quorn sausages have a syn value now unless its as a healthy extra?

Hi, I'm a bloke and I find it easier to do green days, pasta/potatoes/cous cous/ beans. I like quorn and can hardly tell the difference if I turn the mince into something saucy. Bolegnaise for eg.

Breakfasts are good too, toast(h extra) beans egg mushroom and quorn sausage all free.

Switch to quorn on green days and watch the weight fly off whilst you are reasonably full.

You can have a bit of lean meat on an evening as an extra.

By the way there are certan minces which are free you just need to check out which ones and then you dont even have to worry about quorn!

i would check which ones but unfortunately the website seems to have a problem right now

Extra lean mince is free, it has to be less than 5% fat (that doesn't always correspond to the claims made by the product name btw - always check on the label that it is less than 5g fat per 100g).

You are correct Quorn sausages are no longer free but they are not a Healthy Extra. They're 1 syn each on all plans. (Apparently there is also a frozen version that comes in a different weight/size that are half a syn each, but I've never seen it myself.)

Thanks for that Ermintrude

Extra lean mince is free, it has to be less than 5% fat (that doesn't always correspond to the claims made by the product name btw - always check on the label that it is less than 5g fat per 100g).

You are correct Quorn sausages are no longer free but they are not a Healthy Extra. They're 1 syn each on all plans. (Apparently there is also a frozen version that comes in a different weight/size that are half a syn each, but I've never seen it myself.)

Paul_Farnham_uk said:
Hiya,

Lets see if i can help motivate him a little :)

Ok i started 2 weeks ago and i am eating branflakes in the morning, i have a just add hot water 'Mugshot' meal for lunch, plus 2-3 peices of fruit in the daytime, then when i get home we have a good size meal consisting of more or less as much meat, potatoe, pasta, rice, veg as you want, i havent gone hungry on this diet and i also havent touched bread which i used to be addicted to.

BUT i have hardly been using syns during the day so i have been alowing myself a nice treat in the evenings for example i have been having either a frys turkish delight (if i used a few syns in the day as its only 9.5 syns) or a mars bar (if i didnt use any syns in day as they cost 13 syns of you possible 15)

So i am eating well and having a treat most evenings and guess what...

I have lost 16.5lb in 2 weeks......

mad eh, so tell him to get his ass in gear and join you and SUPPORT you on this journey and remind him if he wants to eat more than you its fine as you done measure free or superfree foods!!!

Fantastic first fortnight Paul! Well done. I too am loving the fact that I can have a mars bar in the evening! I'm out of them tonight so it's onto a creme egg, which is only 9 syns. Years ago I tried Atkins for a while. Weight loss was great but couldn't stick it because I simply couldn't touch most things at all. I love the fact that nothing is out of bounds on slimming world if planned well.

Back