anyone else feel like they are never gonna get to target? :(

loolahoop

Silver Member
i need help! :(
i am only 3lb from my 2nd interim target, and only 10lb away from my final target..yet it seems more out of reach now than it did when i started!!!
i really feel likeim never gonna get there, today i feel so negative, which isnt usually like me, but i have really felt like "whats the point?" "its never gonna happen"
and if anyone else were posting this i wopuld be saying dont be so stupid, the point is if u give up ur gonna pile on the 3st 4lb u have already lost as then some, etc etc but today i have eaten really badly, and i do feel liek its sooo far away! i know i have got smaller, as my clothes r all too big etc, but i still just see the same ugly fat lump in the mirror and like nothing has changed!
sorry for the rant, just feeling rather sorry for myself today, do u think my target is unachievable? its well within a healthy BMI etc, but i just cannot imagine seeign those numbers on the scales :(
does anyone else feel like this? it could possibly be now that i am closer to target that things areso much slower and therefore disheartening (i always been a fairly slow looser anyway)
just ARGH!!

I've definitely been where you are. You're super good and you don't get anywhere so then you're naughty and it makes it worse. Ok, you've had a crap day. That's it, one day, it's how you bounce back from it that matters. Don't let one day stop you from getting there. You will, it's just going to take longer now that you've lost the initial bulk...I'm experiencing it too and there are days when it feels a million miles away..we've just got to keep plodding on :)
I know I'm literally throwing back everything you said you'd say to other people but it's all true. LOOK at how far you've come, the idea of going back there isn't good.

Take each day and each weigh in at a time, it is likely that there will be losses, sts' and gains before you get to target. It's not an exact science, our bodies play up. Take it as it comes.

As for the image of yourself in the mirror, that is very hard to shake. It takes our heads a while to catch up with how our bodies are looking, I imagine it's especially hard for people who have been overweight for a long time (not sure of you situation) but there are days when I look in the mirror and think I look the same as when I started which I KNOW is beyond ridiculous but sometimes you just can't see it. Focus on things you can notice, like you said, your clothes. They're too big..treat yourself and buy some new ones that fit nicely...then hopefully (if it's your goal) to drop another size you'll maybe feel it in your new clothes before you 'see' it in the mirror or on the scales.

No matter what, don't give up. It's worth it and you can do it. :)

Last edited:
Going shopping always gets my head back into things. Seeing things in the shops that I'm going to buy when I get to target. I've even got a couple of couldn't miss items that are my target size in my wardrobe. I try them on sometimes they're just a bit tight now couldn't get em over my head when I bought them!!

Have you got something that actually fits you now rather than the baggy ones?the big clothes will make you still look that size in the mirror no matter how baggy they are! Good luck you can do it!

Hey Loolahoop. I so know how you feel. I just can't see the changes though I know they are there cos I'm buying smaller clothes. Though my friend did drag me to the shops the other day because, as she put it, I looked like I was wearing sacks. I have had a few days recently where I haven't eaten as well and I have sneaked things which I wouldn't have had a few weeks ago. Also not been able to get onto minimins as much, or keep my diary as well as usual. I wonder if our bodies rebel a bit and are trying to get us back to our original heavier weights. They do say that happens and whilst it is a physical thing it has a really strong psychological effect. So I feel it being a struggle at the moment but trying really hard not to sabotage and get that elusive target. You have done so well, just keep your eye on what you want and let's see if we can do this. Hugs xxx

I really want to get my act together and get back to target (and maybe even beyond) as have been messing about for months BUT I don't see it as a race any more because I've realised that it doesn't stop when I get to target its an ongoing thing so am just trying to take it steady and take the ups with the downs.
Its good to have a focus of getting to target but to stay there it will always be a case of sticking to plan and doing the best you can and thats all we can do and thats the point and its worth doing so we don't get back to where we started.
Bit of a ramble as usual but if you keep at it it will happen but going by your stats aren't you actually within your target range?

thanks for r replies everyone! feeling a little more positive today! just wish i could get my head back into it 100%!!
think i may try a green week, just coz never really had one before, so maybe something new and making me look up new recipes etc will give me some motivation??

emsie no im not in target range yet, i have 3lb to go until my 2nd interim target, then 10lbs to go until my final target xxx

i need help! :(
i am only 3lb from my 2nd interim target, and only 10lb away from my final target..yet it seems more out of reach now than it did when i started!!!
i really feel likeim never gonna get there, today i feel so negative, which isnt usually like me, but i have really felt like "whats the point?" "its never gonna happen"
and if anyone else were posting this i wopuld be saying dont be so stupid, the point is if u give up ur gonna pile on the 3st 4lb u have already lost as then some, etc etc but today i have eaten really badly, and i do feel liek its sooo far away! i know i have got smaller, as my clothes r all too big etc, but i still just see the same ugly fat lump in the mirror and like nothing has changed!
sorry for the rant, just feeling rather sorry for myself today, do u think my target is unachievable? its well within a healthy BMI etc, but i just cannot imagine seeign those numbers on the scales :(
does anyone else feel like this? it could possibly be now that i am closer to target that things areso much slower and therefore disheartening (i always been a fairly slow looser anyway)
just ARGH!!

remember you are already bang in the middle of that healthy range, any kind of losses are going to be very hard, because quite frankly your body will not want to lose any more.

I agree about the person in the mirror. It's how your brain works, it's why when we look at photographs we look weird to ourselves.

Our brains get used to seeing things, they become trained in certain ways. There are all kinds of tests out there that prove this, from optical illusions, to even things like sets of text with bits blank. I'm sure you have seen links to them on Facebook etc. Your brain fills in the information that it thinks is there, sometimes instead of what is actually there. If there is a conflict it can default to what it is used to seeing.

When you look in the mirror you see back what you are used to seeing. Your brain recognises it as you and you know it is you, but it doesn't look the same as every other time you have looked in the mirror. Your brain just shows you the image that you should expect to see, not what you do see.

its why anorexic people look in the mirror and see a fat person, because that is how they perceive themselves to look, their brain doesn't acknowledge that they look like malnourished and skeleton like.

it was curious for me, I can look in the mirror and sometimes feel fatter than I used to, despite losing over 7 1/2 stone. For the longest time I just could not see a difference in the mirror, yet looking at photos, the difference is huge.

Relying on others to tell you if you are at the right weight is also difficult. As an example, my sister is quite slim probably a low end of healthy bmi. My mum never tells her she needs to put on weight, but since I have gone from 43 to 27 bmi, my mum continually tells me to stop losing.

This isn't a malicious act or anything like that, it's just a big change for those close to you, they don't asses your healthy weight in an independent way, but in comparison to what you used to be.

The real thing that has made me realise that I am nearly there, is speaking to people who didn't know me before I lost the weight.
"Really? You used to be fat, I would never have thought"....

I think I will but it is such a long way away that it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I felt like that this time last year but I did get there, don't give up you can do it. It is hard when your losses slow down, on a great week now I'm lucky if I loose at all because I can have a 100% week and maintain, but keep it up and you will get there.

Last edited:
Back