Anyone got a bechamel/white sauce recipe?

HellieCopter

Gold Member
Had a hunt but struggling!

Going to make quorn lasagne for dinner - have made it with cottage cheese previously but it just didn't tick the box for me. It was ok but just not quite mmm enough!

Have saved my HE-As for milk and cheese for the top. I'm currently thinking:

350ml skimmed milk
1tbsp cornflour
nutmeg and a bayleaf

Whisk a bit of cold milk into the cornflour, whilst the rest of the milk is heating in the pan. Whisk it all in. Add nutmeg and bayleaf and cook til it thickens. I might add some quark too...

Think that will work?

Will report on success later! :) Or failure :eek:

Hellie - I posted the following for someone a few weeks ago - this is out of the Saucy Secrets book.

2 level tablespoon of cornflour
1/2 pint skimmed milk
5 ounces very low fat fromage frais
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
salt & pepper

Blend the cornflour with a little of the milk, pour the remaining milk in the pan bring to the boil and then add the cornflour mixture, stir continously for 1 to 2 mins until think.
Remove from the heat & gradually add the framge frais & mustard. Make sure you don't boil it otherwise the fromage frais will curdle.

Oh magic! Thanks Julie :D
Have you made it?

It's a great little book that one. I totally forget I've got it sometimes. Cheers Julie.

I made the white sauce last night.

First attempt I tried to put quark into it and it was awful!!!! But second go I just used milk, cornflour, mustard powder and s&p and it was great :)

There's a Lasagne recipe in the brand new Extra Easy recipe book. Don't have it to hand at the mo cos at work, anyone else got it there? The white sauce involves eggs and nutmeg....

I make my sauce using Carrs Sauce Flour and Milk from my allowance. Just add freshly grated nutmeg and salt and pepper.

The sauce using eggs was in last months SW mag and I have to say I thought it was "yuk". It made the sauce very sticky and dry in the mouth. Whereas the one made with milk and sauce flour is light and smooth.

I'm going to try making the bechamel sauce from the Saucy Secrets book tonight...but does anyone know whether the '3 syns per portion' stated is using the milk as HE-A or not? I'm sure I could work it out...but I'm feeling lazy!

there is a syn free recipe in this months magazine pot of quark beaten up with 2 eggs seasons as you wish no HE's no syns :) does me nicely

Back