Australia

Lovely - its been blowing a hooly down here the last few days so am dead jealous bout the holiday - and the summer is getting nearer, so time for me to get back on the ol' band wagon! - had a good 5 days so far so good... I started a diary on here and that is helping too!

Keep in touch and maybe we could support eachother

Val xxx

Looks like we've similar stats too, though I think I'd need to lose a few limbs to ever be 122lbs lol I'm starting the plan tomorrow, really ready to get stuck in, no turning back, I WILL make this work, despite not having a group to physically 'weigh in' at. Having the online membership is really going to help this time! Here's hoping I've a successful first week, especially as it's 'back to school' week up here!!! lol

Yeah I agree OzzieMoz, I find that the same products are completely different with different ingredients. I try to keep a common sense approach too, although it can be a bit frustrating at times. One thing I do miss is Heinz Beans!! Same tin, even some say English recipe, but totally different ingredients.....boo!! :)

So are Aussie baked beans not free then, like they were in the UK?! :eek:

OMG have just checked my tin of beans from aldi - Corale premium baked beans 3 syns for the tin on green - am glad i checked!!

where i'm only short i went for just under 9 stone, but tbh am going by clothes size - weight is only a number - right???!!!

OMG have just checked my tin of beans from aldi - Corale premium baked beans 3 syns for the tin on green - am glad i checked!!

where i'm only short i went for just under 9 stone, but tbh am going by clothes size - weight is only a number - right???!!!

Oh my crikey are you sure!? What's in the beans that makes them syns?!?!?! I just want to be a loose UK 12...then I'll be happy again!!!

EDIT: I just checked and yes they are slightly higher in most things, but not significantly so. Another brand I have in the cupboard is similar to the British recipe: SPC Brand - that ring a bell? Green and red tin.... Is the Heinz Spag (yellow tin) syns over here too then?

Last edited:
Yep have seen them in woolies but havent got any in my cupboard to check them. I just used the syn calculator to check the beans, i reckon if i just got the cheaper beans at aldi they would be less syns or (hopefully) free (mainly cos the cheaper ones have less beans and more sauce) serves me right for being a snob! Will palm these ones off on the kids!!! Let me know how your speghetti comes out on the syn calculator when you do it, will be good to know.

Yep have seen them in woolies but havent got any in my cupboard to check them. I just used the syn calculator to check the beans, i reckon if i just got the cheaper beans at aldi they would be less syns or (hopefully) free (mainly cos the cheaper ones have less beans and more sauce) serves me right for being a snob! Will palm these ones off on the kids!!! Let me know how your speghetti comes out on the syn calculator when you do it, will be good to know.

Yeah but did you say on the calculator that it'd be free under green?

Oh my crikey are you sure!? What's in the beans that makes them syns?!?!?! I just want to be a loose UK 12...then I'll be happy again!!!

EDIT: I just checked and yes they are slightly higher in most things, but not significantly so. Another brand I have in the cupboard is similar to the British recipe: SPC Brand - that ring a bell? Green and red tin.... Is the Heinz Spag (yellow tin) syns over here too then?

Yeah the SPC Salt Reduced ones are very very similar, only difference is 0.5g of fat, which I suppose is a big enough amount! HUMPH!!!

Yeah the SPC Salt Reduced ones are very very similar, only difference is 0.5g of fat, which I suppose is a big enough amount! HUMPH!!!

its soooo annoying that they arent the same recipe - id just run them through the syn calculator, just to be sure, if you dont have access let me have the details and i will look them up for you xxx

Day 1 of being strictly back on the sw plan, with the back up of this forum and also the 3 month online subscription. I decided to not have my usual Quorn sausage butty and instead was going to have FF Yog with muesli and fresh fruit, went to weigh my muesli with ye olde faithful kitchen scales and ARGHHHHH they have finally given up the ghost!!! I could've screamed! So I'm now not sure how many grams of muesli I had, so I've added 4.5 syns to my daily intake, which is the value of an additional 25g of muesli! I WILL NOT FAIL, I WILLL NOTTTTT FAIL LOL (Off to Hardly Normals to get new scales this morning lol)

GOOD NEWS ALERT - Just checked the Heinz Spag in the yellow tin, and it's still free, the variations in the nutritional are just in the fibre, I think the Aussie ones have slightly more fibre just, PHEW!

So could we list our low or no syn (free) finds on here, to help each other out? Just a thought, or maybe start a sticky?

Has anyone found anything that's free like the following UK products:

*Pasta and Sauce (Ive found one that's 1 syn a packet, but nothing free)
*Savoury Rice (I've found one thats 1.5 syns a packet)
*Syn Free Beans (devastated as I've just found out the standard Aussie ones aren't free)
*Mini milk lollies or sugar free ice-pops that are actually nice?
* Fat Free fromage frais?
* Has anyone found any low-syn cereal bars to have in your handbag for when you need a sugar fix?

I've found this:

*The popcorn out of Aldi, in the big multi-pack, is just 2 and a half syns a packet, which is always handy to have in the cupboard for a snack.
*Forme Yogs are free
* I use a 99.8% ff natural yog to put thru my muesli and fruit in the morning

Let's support each other chicks, see what we can come up with, WE CAN DO IT! (Can't we?! lol)

Also, what do you use instead of the 1 CAL spray? I use pro-chef extra light Olive Oil spray...it's an aerosol as opposed to a pump though...I don't syn it! :-/

Very frustrating eh...as they were always a very handy thing to just grab and scoff! No more baked bean lasagnes for me it would seem lol Might start making my own beans and freeze them in little tubs...hmmmm lol

So I went to Woolies today to see if any of the beans were syn free, and nope, all had more fat/sugar, than the UK version, absolutely gutted, but hey ho! I'm considering making my own, I was given this recipe today, so thought I'd share it:

Baked beans in slow cooker
·
· 1.5 lbs dried haricot beans (or any small white bean)
· 1 pint veg stock
· 2 tsp salt
· 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
· 2 tsp paprika
· 2 tablespoons tomato puree
· 1 can chopped tomatoes
· 2 tsp dried mustard
· 2 tsp powdered sweetener like splenda
· 2 garlic cloves, crushed
· 1 large onion chopped and fried till soft in frylight (optional)

Soak beans in cold water overnight, Rinse well . Add everything to the slow cooker, stir well and cook on low for 5-7 hours (taste for seasoning and see if beans are soft after 5 hours) I sometimes put them on overnight . Taste for seasoning add more salt, pepper etc to taste I don't use much sweetener but if you like them sweeter then add a little more. You can add curry powder or chili too if you like a bit of a kick.

I seem to have silenced this thread - OOPS...

HI there - sorry what with kids off and holiday weekend havent have a minute to get on the pc (diet not been great either!), anyway, back on the bandwaggon again...

Your beans recipe looks nice - have you actually tried it? is it worth the effort? I have just been sticking with tinned spaghetti last few days as i know they are free. Also you can get Ainsley Harriot Couscous in Woolies and the spice sensation one is 1/2 syn per portion, which is pretty low for a lot of food and very quick and easy.

1-cal spray doesn't seem to exist in oz, so i just use spray olive oil and dont use very much, and add water if anything starts sticking, i havent been counting it, but if i start plateau-ing i guess i will have to take it into account

No I haven't tried them yet, but beans were always one of those things you grabbed with some SW chips and Quorn sausages which were just 'good packing' and made the world seem ok again...so I definitely will be making them, when I get a chance!!! Being the 4th and final term of the year it's going to be mega busy getting reports etc written and all of the children's work completed on time, so maybe once the Christmas hols are here and it's too hot to eat beans anyways haha

I get low syn crisps from woolies - they are found in the health food isle and they are called kidscare and are either in a green or blue packet and are just 49 calories - they are just 2 1/2 syns. - not cheap though 5 dollars for 10 packets.

Back