Australia

Hi guys!! Arrived in beautiful, sunny Perth just under a week ago! SW is not going too well unfortunately but I've promised myself to get back on track from tomorrow! I've been to IGA and stocked up on lots of fruit & veg, Forme yogurts (not sure I like them... :eek: ) and wholemeal breads. Wish me luck!! Just a few Qs;

How many vita weat crispbreads can we have as an HE? Also how many of the sandwich size ones? I'm assuming 4 and 2 respectively?
Are Maggi 99% fat free instant noodles free?
What brand of wholemeal bread can I get 2 slices as a HEX? They all seem so big!

Thanks!

I just use Woolies own multigrain bread, it's in brown packaging and the slices are no bigger than I was used to in the UK?! No idea re the rest of your questions, sorry... Try posting the nutritional values on the Facebook group and they might be able to help, I've no idea how to work out equivalent healthy extras?!

Hi everyone,

How are you all? I'm Emma, I moved to Sydney about 4 months ago now and am loving it so far!! I have previously done SW back in the UK and had good losses. I was struggling to find the inspiration to stay on the wagon when I first arrived here but it seems to have suddenly arrived (although not sure that the week before Christmas is the best time for inspiration to hit!!).
Anyway, I'm going to call it damage limitation for this week and next, take a day or 2 off for Christmas and New Year and then get really stuck in from January!
I've been lurking around on the forums for a while now and recently found this thread - so much great info on here, especially as the foods here can be quite different from the UK - and I can't believe the price of yoghurt!! (I've just been to Big W to buy an Easiyo yoghurt maker to try and cut costs a little!).
I used to find the SW groups a real support at home so I'm thinking about starting an online food diary to keep myself on track, does anyone else do this? Does it help?

Thanks
Emma

Hi everyone,

How are you all? I'm Emma, I moved to Sydney about 4 months ago now and am loving it so far!! I have previously done SW back in the UK and had good losses. I was struggling to find the inspiration to stay on the wagon when I first arrived here but it seems to have suddenly arrived (although not sure that the week before Christmas is the best time for inspiration to hit!!).
Anyway, I'm going to call it damage limitation for this week and next, take a day or 2 off for Christmas and New Year and then get really stuck in from January!
I've been lurking around on the forums for a while now and recently found this thread - so much great info on here, especially as the foods here can be quite different from the UK - and I can't believe the price of yoghurt!! (I've just been to Big W to buy an Easiyo yoghurt maker to try and cut costs a little!).
I used to find the SW groups a real support at home so I'm thinking about starting an online food diary to keep myself on track, does anyone else do this? Does it help?

Thanks
Emma

Hey Emma, welcome to Oz, hope ur settling in well!? We've been here 2 years this coming Feb! The best thing I ever did was join SW Online back in October, have lost 7.5kg since then, it's been slow, but I'm only a few more kgs off target. I found the yoghurt expensive when I first got here too, but now I just try not to think about it lol I buy the big forme banana and honey and add the Tamara Valley 99.8% FF stuff to make it into two pots worth, and use that everyday with my muesli, it's yum! lol Where keeping a food diary is concerned, I think it's a must, I did mine online for at least the first month til I felt like I was in control, the best thing about online is being able to use it to syn everything so that when you eventually let your membership run out you have a bank of Aussie syns etc. BEWARE - BAKED BEANS ARE NOT FREE HERE! I was gutted when I found that out! lol Once again welcome, Jen (formerly Northern Ireland)xo

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Emma! I don't live in Australia but we're here for a couple of months over Christmas and I wanted to continue SW whilst we were here and hopefully reach target by the time we leave in Feb, just 1 st to go! I also found things confusing when we first arrived but I think I've worked out pretty much most of what I need to know to stay on track. EVERYTHING is so expensive here, it's shocking, but we gotta eat right? Lol! I'm not an online member, going it alone so I've had some help working out syns etc. If you need any help let us know, I'll also try to spend more time on this thread. Good luck!

Hi guys

Thanks both for your messages. I'm settling really well here so far, enjoying the new job and the lifestyle (not sure about the weather yet, it's rained a lot in Sydney over the past few weeks so we're hoping for an improvement this weekend!) and I must say that it's the thought of being in a bikini over the summer that's really spurring me on at the moment!! Where are you both based?
It sounds like you're both doing really well with the losses. I don't tend to lose big amounts quickly which can be a bit frustrating :(, I call it a big loss if I lose 2lb!! But at least I know this now so I don't expect big losses! (It's surprising just how quickly it manages to go back on though!)
Good idea with the yoghurt Jen, I hadn't thought of mixing them. I have been buying the big Forme tubs and the Tamara Valley stuff but I go through so much!! I made the Easiyo stuff last night (the maker was only $18 from Big W and I've read that you can then make it with the skim longlife milk and a couple of spoons of your last batch of yoghurt so might be trying this next!) I tried it on my cereal this morning and it was yummy!
I might look into the online membership next year, I shipped all of my old SW books over here so I have plenty of stuff to refer to at the moment. I really miss the magazines though, I've got a big recipe folder stuffed with pages torn out of them! I think if you get the most expensive online membership they'll send the magazines too, need to figure out whether it'll be worth it or if I can talk my Mum into sending the mag out here now and again for me! I'll check out the FB group Jen, thanks for the suggestion and Honeyoc like you I'll be refering back to this website whenever I can for more hints and tips, any other tips for food shopping over here greatly appreciated!!
Emma

Hi guys

Thanks both for your messages. I'm settling really well here so far, enjoying the new job and the lifestyle (not sure about the weather yet, it's rained a lot in Sydney over the past few weeks so we're hoping for an improvement this weekend!) and I must say that it's the thought of being in a bikini over the summer that's really spurring me on at the moment!! Where are you both based?
It sounds like you're both doing really well with the losses. I don't tend to lose big amounts quickly which can be a bit frustrating :(, I call it a big loss if I lose 2lb!! But at least I know this now so I don't expect big losses! (It's surprising just how quickly it manages to go back on though!)
Good idea with the yoghurt Jen, I hadn't thought of mixing them. I have been buying the big Forme tubs and the Tamara Valley stuff but I go through so much!! I made the Easiyo stuff last night (the maker was only $18 from Big W and I've read that you can then make it with the skim longlife milk and a couple of spoons of your last batch of yoghurt so might be trying this next!) I tried it on my cereal this morning and it was yummy!
I might look into the online membership next year, I shipped all of my old SW books over here so I have plenty of stuff to refer to at the moment. I really miss the magazines though, I've got a big recipe folder stuffed with pages torn out of them! I think if you get the most expensive online membership they'll send the magazines too, need to figure out whether it'll be worth it or if I can talk my Mum into sending the mag out here now and again for me! I'll check out the FB group Jen, thanks for the suggestion and Honeyoc like you I'll be refering back to this website whenever I can for more hints and tips, any other tips for food shopping over here greatly appreciated!!
Emma

Hey Emma, one of my local newsagents had the magazines in, and were keeping them aside for me, but at nearly $8 a mag I found an alternative - if you have an iPad you can buy the app (I still use the UK iTunes so it works out at about $4 a copy, brilliant!) Also, be careful as even though some of the same products are over here, they're not always the same syn value, for example the baked beans, so just be sure. I paid 60 pounds for my first 3 months online and the second lot has been 45 pounds, so it does get cheaper the more you buy. I'm signed up now til March, so I'm a happy bunny with that.

Honeyoc where do you shop? You obviously shop at all of the wrong places, u have to stop comparing to the UK and doing things like you would in the UK. Instead think of it this way - groceries from the supermarkets, meat from the butchers and fruit and veg from the local markets, it's not like the UK where you get everything under the one roof at a decent price. F&V/Meat etc in the supermarkets can be extortionate, so beware. Also, if you have a Pattons Discount Meats - they have a lot of them over here, they're always very competitive, and if you have a local market on a sunday, ours is the PCYC you can walk away with some real bargains for your fruit and veg. Also, the likes of grapes can be seasonal, and are sometimes shipped from the US, so buy what's in season and when things are on special, like melons, buy in bulk!

Good luck to you both!

Thanks,

Jen xo

Last edited:
Hey Jen

Thanks so much for all that info!! I didn't realize you could get the magazine as an app, it's now downloaded onto my iPhone and been read from cover to cover! I love the recipe section, always inspires me!!
I read on here that the aldi corale beans are free, is this right?? I am finding that aldi is a bit cheaper than the other supermarkets here and you're so right, you really need to shop around here instead of buying everything in the one shop.
Have you found any wholemeal pittas here that count as a hex B? I was thinking of using one of the threads here to ask someone in the uk to give me the nutritional info so that I could check the brands here.
I've got your email address now if you want to edit your post, I'll look you up later this evening!
Emma x

I think the Corale beans might be but I'm not convinced lol Er be careful with dried potato too, it's not free, it's not huge in syns, but isn't free, and well, er, it's very salty! Got you on FB! See u there....ps no idea re the pitta....

Hey Jen

Thanks so much for all that info!! I didn't realize you could get the magazine as an app, it's now downloaded onto my iPhone and been read from cover to cover! I love the recipe section, always inspires me!!
I read on here that the aldi corale beans are free, is this right?? I am finding that aldi is a bit cheaper than the other supermarkets here and you're so right, you really need to shop around here instead of buying everything in the one shop.
Have you found any wholemeal pittas here that count as a hex B? I was thinking of using one of the threads here to ask someone in the uk to give me the nutritional info so that I could check the brands here.
I've got your email address now if you want to edit your post, I'll look you up later this evening!
Emma x

We go to IGA mostly. I don't *really* want to shop at lots of different stores on holiday and with a baby. Maybe if we lived here but as it's temporary, I'd rather pay for the convenience of doing it all in one place. The butcher you mentioned looked really nice, saw the website but they're only based in Queensland and we're in WA. Why is the heinz baked beans here not free? And how many syns would they have?

Emma for pitta bread, I got the Bazaar wholemeal pitta pockets and count them as a B choice + 1.5 syns because they're higher in calories than the brand SW recommends (ASDA wholemeal pitta). Here's a link Bazaar Breads of the World - Pita Pockets

I may very well be indulging in a tweak because you also have to consider the fat and fibre content but having looked at the nutritional info of both pittas, the bazaar one has the same amount of fibre as ASDA but with a little more fat and calories (hence the added syns) so I'm going for it! Here's the nutritional info for both so you can compare;

BAZAAR WHOLEMEAL PITTA POCKETS Calorie Chart, Nutrition Facts, Calories in Food | MyFitnessPal.com
ASDA WHOLEMEAL PITTA Calorie Chart, Nutrition Facts, Calories in Food | MyFitnessPal.com

3 syns per tin of beans, so I rarely bother now. I'm only a few pounds off target so might start eating them again once I'm in maintenance mode lol

jen1977ni said:
3 syns per tin of beans, so I rarely bother now. I'm only a few pounds off target so might start eating them again once I'm in maintenance mode lol

Thanks for that, it's not too bad but then again I get 3 serves out of a standard tin so 1 syn per serve is pretty good!
I just checked Coles online and they have Heinz baked beans "English recipe" I'm assuming that would be free.

https://www.colesonline.com.au/weba...ex=0&searchTermScope=4&searchTerm=Baked beans

Last edited:
Back