Back in the room...again!

Hi Tracy, glad the op went well, hope you are doing well with the physio. I use bio-oil too, it definitely seems to help soften the scar tissue. I'm doing ok thanks, it's still painful and to be honest I was hoping to be able to walk further by now than I actually can, but I'm hoping that losing weight will help.

SW still going well, I've lost 14.5 lb in 6 weeks now, am happy :). Not really felt deprived at all, still managing to have a glass of wine and other treats. I've achieved my first mini goal of losing a stone before we go to Prague next week. Onwards and downwards!

Hello The Ubiquitous Mrs Smith, that's a very grand name! Thank you for your post. I am doing ok, in common with a lot of people I suspect, I piled on the weight over Christmas. I knew what I was doing, for a good four weeks I binged almost constantly. I really don't seem to have any control or "middle ground; I'm either totally focussed and in the zone or like some food monster that eats anything and everything. I was doing so well till we went to Prague at the beginning of November; after we got back I carried on going to SW but spent the next month yo yo-ing the odd pound, which considering I was pretty much sticking to it was so depressing. I always find this, the first stone comes off really easily and then I seem to plateau and totally lose motivation. Which is why I like the VLCD's, you get the continuing steady losses which are so satisfying. Anyway, December was pretty much a disaster, although I did enjoy some really good nights out and fun times. I was actually quite glad to get back to eating healthily last Tuesday when I went back to work and got back to a normal routine. I confess I wimped out of going to group having weighed myself at home and put on about 9lb from my lowest weight at the beginning of December, but I've weighed myself this morning and already dropped 4lb this week so I'm happy. So...I have decided on a new plan, to combine the bits of SW and a VLCD that appeal to me. Hopefully that will keep my weekly losses to a satisfactory level to keep me motivated, but enable me to have a social life and eat "normally" most of the time. So what I'm intending to do is a sort of 5:2; for two days of the week I'll stick to a VLCD of 600 calories, and the rest of the week I'll do SW properly, except for maybe swapping some breakfasts for shakes when I feel like them. To me this makes sense, I've been doing this dieting lark for over 40 years and not cracked it yet so anything's worth a go. Like I said earlier, I'm never eating "sensibly", I'm either on a diet or out of control. I know all the theory, I've got a degree in biochemistry for God's sake, I really should know better. But I don't. Anyway, lots to look forward to already this year, including another trip to Prague booked for May to see my family. Here we go again!

Last edited:
Just realised it's exactly 2 years since I last posted on here and my current weight is just what it was then..which just about sums up the last 40 years. I've been everything from a size 12 to a 28 and all stops in between. I've done almost every diet on the market in that time including several SW & WW restarts. In common with I suspect most people I start off all motivated, do well for a couple of months and then just fall off the wagon big time. My biggest success was in 2008 when I did the Cambridge plan, lost over 5 stone and got to where I wanted to be, but then was suddenly widowed at the age of 58 when my husband died in a motorbike accident in which I was quite badly injured. I do really well when I have a specific event to aim for...I remarried in 2013 and lost over 2 stone for that, and I had to get my BMI below 35 in 2016 for a knee replacement op and again did really well. But then life gets in the way and it all piles on again. Which it has now over Christmas. Anyway. A few things I have learned along the way. I need fast weight loss. A pound a week just demoralises me. Slimming world is good but does not teach me portion control...and my portions are huge. VLCD's really suit me and I find I cope well with the whole ketosis thing. I've experimented with different approaches, like relying solely on meal replacements, or including a low carb meal etc. Through trial and error I have found that now 550-600 calories a day is too little, I get light headed and irritable and can't sustain it. 800 is perfect for fast weight loss but it's doable. I was in the supermarket last week and found Michael Mosely's book Fast 800. It really appeals to me because it endorses what I've found out through years of trying to lose weight, but also debunks a lot of diet myths like rapid weight loss leads to faster regain, slowing of metabolism etc. As a scientist I love all the references to clinical trials and the fact it is based on scientific fact. So last Wednesday when I went back to work I started following the book, doing an 800 calorie a day diet, initially with about 650 calories from meal replacement shakes plus some milk in tea and coffee to make up the rest. I haven't got a plan as yet how long I'm going to do this stage for, I might incorporate some high protein/low carb meals in a bit. At least I've got a grip again but I'm not kidding myself this is the time I'll succeed etc,etc, been there done that got the oversized t shirt. Baby steps.

Good luck tickettyboo.....I bought the paper yesterday for the Fast 800 Diet supplement and I am going to give this a go.....I am hoping for the fast results that I need to stay motivated and I like the fact you can have real food. I am going to order the book today and give it my best shot. Fed up of spending all my adult life on some diet or another and gaining weight over the years. Heaviest ever now 😱😞😞

Welcome back Nicky and good luck with your diet...looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Day 2 under my belt and I am in the zone!! Book arrived yesterday and I am loving it....feeling determined. I am using My Fitness Pal to log my calories. I have been having an early lunch and a light supper such as soup with an apple and a yogurt as my evening snack.....evenings are my hardest time. Xx

Well I am loving this diet and the amazing results so far. Four weeks in and I've lost 21lb so far and that's with a weekend off plus a blowout last Sunday. Finding it surprisingly easy, using a combination of meal replacements and low carb high protein meals. I've even bought a Fitbit (I love gadgets!) and have started walking more although the current weather doesn't make it easy to get motivated!

Just realised it's exactly 2 years since I last posted on here and my current weight is just what it was then..which just about sums up the last 40 years. I've been everything from a size 12 to a 28 and all stops in between. I've done almost every diet on the market in that time including several SW & WW restarts. In common with I suspect most people I start off all motivated, do well for a couple of months and then just fall off the wagon big time. My biggest success was in 2008 when I did the Cambridge plan, lost over 5 stone and got to where I wanted to be, but then was suddenly widowed at the age of 58 when my husband died in a motorbike accident in which I was quite badly injured. I do really well when I have a specific event to aim for...I remarried in 2013 and lost over 2 stone for that, and I had to get my BMI below 35 in 2016 for a knee replacement op and again did really well. But then life gets in the way and it all piles on again. Which it has now over Christmas. Anyway. A few things I have learned along the way. I need fast weight loss. A pound a week just demoralises me. Slimming world is good but does not teach me portion control...and my portions are huge. VLCD's really suit me and I find I cope well with the whole ketosis thing. I've experimented with different approaches, like relying solely on meal replacements, or including a low carb meal etc. Through trial and error I have found that now 550-600 calories a day is too little, I get light headed and irritable and can't sustain it. 800 is perfect for fast weight loss but it's doable. I was in the supermarket last week and found Michael Mosely's book Fast 800. It really appeals to me because it endorses what I've found out through years of trying to lose weight, but also debunks a lot of diet myths like rapid weight loss leads to faster regain, slowing of metabolism etc. As a scientist I love all the references to clinical trials and the fact it is based on scientific fact. So last Wednesday when I went back to work I started following the book, doing an 800 calorie a day diet, initially with about 650 calories from meal replacement shakes plus some milk in tea and coffee to make up the rest. I haven't got a plan as yet how long I'm going to do this stage for, I might incorporate some high protein/low carb meals in a bit. At least I've got a grip again but I'm not kidding myself this is the
Just realised it's exactly 2 years since I last posted on here and my current weight is just what it was then..which just about sums up the last 40 years. I've been everything from a size 12 to a 28 and all stops in between. I've done almost every diet on the market in that time including several SW & WW restarts. In common with I suspect most people I start off all motivated, do well for a couple of months and then just fall off the wagon big time. My biggest success was in 2008 when I did the Cambridge plan, lost over 5 stone and got to where I wanted to be, but then was suddenly widowed at the age of 58 when my husband died in a motorbike accident in which I was quite badly injured. I do really well when I have a specific event to aim for...I remarried in 2013 and lost over 2 stone for that, and I had to get my BMI below 35 in 2016 for a knee replacement op and again did really well. But then life gets in the way and it all piles on again. Which it has now over Christmas. Anyway. A few things I have learned along the way. I need fast weight loss. A pound a week just demoralises me. Slimming world is good but does not teach me portion control...and my portions are huge. VLCD's really suit me and I find I cope well with the whole ketosis thing. I've experimented with different approaches, like relying solely on meal replacements, or including a low carb meal etc. Through trial and error I have found that now 550-600 calories a day is too little, I get light headed and irritable and can't sustain it. 800 is perfect for fast weight loss but it's doable. I was in the supermarket last week and found Michael Mosely's book Fast 800. It really appeals to me because it endorses what I've found out through years of trying to lose weight, but also debunks a lot of diet myths like rapid weight loss leads to faster regain, slowing of metabolism etc. As a scientist I love all the references to clinical trials and the fact it is based on scientific fact. So last Wednesday when I went back to work I started following the book, doing an 800 calorie a day diet, initially with about 650 calories from meal replacement shakes plus some milk in tea and coffee to make up the rest. I haven't got a plan as yet how long I'm going to do this stage for, I might incorporate some high protein/low carb meals in a bit. At least I've got a grip again but I'm not kidding myself this is the time I'll succeed etc,etc, been there done that got the oversized t shirt. Baby steps.
this sounds so much like my own story had to reply ,,including the being widowed at 59 ( my husband had cancer ) new partner five years ago and done every diet ever thought off ,,good luck with the new attempt ,,,I’m trying again myself but only lost one pound in three weeks ,will keep trying though good luck
me I'll succeed etc,etc, been there done that got the oversized t shirt. Baby steps.[/

Well I am loving this diet and the amazing results so far. Four weeks in and I've lost 21lb so far and that's with a weekend off plus a blowout last Sunday. Finding it surprisingly easy, using a combination of meal replacements and low carb high protein meals. I've even bought a Fitbit (I love gadgets!) and have started walking more although the current weather doesn't make it easy to get motivated!
Fantastic result!

Well done:0clapper:

Quick update. 8 weeks in and have lost 29.5lb, despite a few planned er... deviations for want of a better word! Went to see Dr Michael Mosely in Liverpool on Sunday night, well worth seeing on his tour if you get the chance, very entertaining and informative. Met him afterwards and he signed my Fast 800 book, I felt like the oldest groupie in town! Told him I'd lost over 2 stone following his diet which he was pleased about. Didn't tell him before going to the theatre had scoffed a 3 course meal, two glasses of wine and a cocktail! Felt awful afterwards though I must say, bloated and awful heartburn. I must keep telling myself how much better I feel when sticking to this diet! Onwards and downwards, hey ho.

Back