Beating those cravings

Bensnan

Any tips folks?

I know exactly what breaks my diet, it's those thoughts that creep into my head of chocolate, cakes and biscuits. Once those thoughts creep in I find it hard to think of anything else and eventually I succumb. Then I think, damn it, it's all ruined, even though I know I should just put it behind me and carry on.

I don't keep sweet stuff in the house. I live alone so only have myself to consider, but it's not unknown for me to jump in the car and drive to the nearest shop (2 miles away) for stuff to binge on.

I would appreciate any tips you may have found effective to beat these cravings.

I allow myself a little bit of chocolate everyday. Just something like a 100cal cake bar. I also found water melon seems to help.

As Faye said, maybe try some low-fat alternatives and have them as a treat, e.g cereal bars with chocolate chips or add some chocolate to a yogurt etc. I have a similar problem in that I'm bad at eating in moderation, maybe try and keep yourself busy as much as you can, and if you do happen to fancy chocolate, buy 1 bar and share it with a friend or family member, or everytime you feel like eating chocolate, rethink your motivation - is it a picture or maybe a dress you want to be able to fit into comfortably? Otherwise, each time you feel the urge to eat something, put the money it'd cost in a jar (40p) or so, to save for something nice, maybe a spa treatment or a new top! Also, if you can, buy WeightWatchers (they're fab!) or supermarket brand low-fat/feel-good cakes/biccies xx

Another tactic could be to use the treats you crave as a reward, if you really fancy chocolate, and you'd be willing to do anything for it, go for a gentle jog/long walk - that way, you won't feel guilty giving into a bar of choccy :)

Thanks Faye and Jaly :)

Good luck to you both. Isn't it great to have found this forum and realise we're not alone? There are some fab stories on here too which have inspired me.

Eat something else, maybe. It's easier to crave when you're hungry, but I find if I eat something allowed for my diet instead, I feel really good afterwards, so proud that I didn't succumb to my craving that I don't want any anymore.

Yes, everything in moderation. In fact sugary foods and such are actually ideal post-workout, so just think to yourself whilst your working out "if I work hard, I'll reward myself with some chocolate after"! Something like that. Some chocolate for example, post-workout, combined with say a protein shake or a small meal can actually be beneficial. Your insulin levels spike and your body consequently sends all of the nutrients in the food that you eat, much faster around your body. I'm not a human biologist or anything, but it is honestly a good idea to get something sugary down you post-workout.

So, you don't necessarily have to "beat" cravings. Take advantage of your guilty pleasures and benefit from them as you enjoy them! By the way, chocolate does taste pretty good post-workout too!

Im eating a melon and grape selection from tescos , still sweet but good for you

Yes fruit can satisfy sugar cravings and it's obviously good for you. You must eat fruit in moderation though, just like with everything else. Don't think it's all good, as it will make you put on weight if you eat too much; it's absolutely full of sugar, albeit natural fructose sugar!

Yes, everything in moderation. In fact sugary foods and such are actually ideal post-workout, so just think to yourself whilst your working out "if I work hard, I'll reward myself with some chocolate after"! Something like that. Some chocolate for example, post-workout, combined with say a protein shake or a small meal can actually be beneficial. Your insulin levels spike and your body consequently sends all of the nutrients in the food that you eat, much faster around your body. I'm not a human biologist or anything, but it is honestly a good idea to get something sugary down you post-workout.

So, you don't necessarily have to "beat" cravings. Take advantage of your guilty pleasures and benefit from them as you enjoy them! By the way, chocolate does taste pretty good post-workout too!

Thanks Matthew. Sounds good to me :D

Back