Before, during and (eventually) after...Paul's open and honest account.

21st Dec 2010

Well I do feel a little better now, certainly much better than I've felt for the past two or three days. I don't think my sinuses have ever been so blocked. Couple this with a really chesty cough, constant headaches oh and a filling falling out, it hasn't been much fun.

My taste buds returned a bit today but not enough that they are operating to their fullest capabilities lol. I had a nice SW fry up this morning, a big fat (cold) beef sarnie for lunch and I've had some fruit too. I've just made, and eaten, a lovely SW Spag bol and it was SB with a difference. It's not my usual thing to do this but I heavily laden it with crushed chillies, garlic, mixed spices and even some chilli powder. I sat here eating it and it very much had the desired effect, I was sweating my danglies off. For the first time in four days I can actually breathe through both of my nostrils ;)

The weather forecasters have just changed their minds and we are to expect up to six inches of snow overnight, will believe it when it happens!

Anyhoo, back to Monday...FIVE pounds off eh? woop woop- I am sooooo chuffed and I'm nearly halfway there already, and all this in six weeks. My SW leader was talking me up again, re being her 'man of the year' next May. She said she had a meeting last week with other SW leaders and managers and when she told them she had a man (me) in one of her groups who had lost two and a half stone in six weeks they didn't actually believe her..lmao. Well they'll have to eat their words soon! To think I'm still yet to do any exercise then the losses should carry on a downward trend.

The one big difference this week has been the amount of water I've been consuming. I'd say I've been drinking in the region of four pints a day and there hasn't been any fizzy at all. I was hoping by doing this it'd show on the scales and I believe it has. Because everyone had taken in food for the Xmas party it gave me a chance to chat with some other people in the group with whom I hadn't done so before. Do you know they made me feel like a million dollars...They were so nice, so complimentary and so friendly- no animosity
what-so-ever. Two or three were even telling me I was an inspiration for them :eek: - I had no idea. It's great that I'm doing so well for myself but to think I was helping others makes it feel even better. I came out of there walking much taller than I have done in years. It's such a shame I'll only be weighing in there once more as I'll have to change groups in the new year.

It's very easy to tell from my diary how up and down I've been feeling for the last couple of months, despite being ill I'm certainly on an up tonight. I'm pretty sure that as the weight continues to fall off me then my mood (or mind-set) will become more positive more often.

Christmas day is almost upon us and I'm really looking forward to watching my kids open all their presents. Okay, so it's not quite as 'magical' as it was when they were younger (the year they were eight, five and three-years old was probably my favourite) but I know they'll be blown away with what they've got this year. I'm not at all bothered about what's on offer food (and drink) wise either. It's going to be the same as always for me; three meals, fifteen sins and lots of fruit. I'll have a full dinner: Turkey, pots, stuffing, pigs in blankets, veggies, gravy and cranberry jelly, they'll just be a lot less of it and I'll stop when I'm full. I'll fill up on dinner so I won't want a pudding and I can easily do without an alcoholic drink.

The point in all of this is the fact that I don't want to pig out... and it's not because I'll be going off plan or that I might put on by next weigh in. I just don't want to pig out on crap ....full-stop.

Last edited:
So glad to see you're feeling better and back on track Paul!
Merry Christmas! :)

Awww, you seem so much happier in that post. I hope you're not ill any longer.

Hi Paul,

Happy New Year and hope you're well again, here's to a fit and fabulous 2011!

MB x

My thought exactly EB, come on Paul get back on here, you're an inspiration! x

Hi Paul!

What an inspiring read! Well done. I have my first weigh in tomorow, very nervous but have stuck to plan 100% so fingers crossed.

Pizza has always been one of my favourite foods and after some research and checking I have found SW version! The base is made with potato (smash is easier to handle) rather than bread and then topped with tomato passata and veg/meat depending on which plan you are following. (completely free on EE and Green)

If you want the full recipe let me know, just thought you could save it for the next mad pizza craving, I had one the other day, really helped me stick to plan.

Looking forward to reading more,

Ann xx

As this had appeared on page 1 I decided to have a read of it and wow, what a diary. Honest, thought provoking and incredibly well written.

Am now dismayed to see that Paul hasn't been 'seen' on his diary for several weeks. Has anyone heard from him or seen him elsewhere on the site? Would love to know how he's getting on :)

ETA - he hasn't posted on MM since Dec. 24th :(

January 3rd...2012

I find it a little difficult to comprehend that it has been over a year since I fell from the wagon, the wagon I promised not to fall from. I guess I'm like many, many others who have promised themselves so much yet succumbed to the evils of temptation, followed by eating 'crap' and stuffing one's face unnecessarily...but all I can do now is come back and try again.

If anything I think I'm a little embarrassed about writing so much and then just disappearing as I did...I would like to say sorry to the likes of Ellebear, Maximus et al, not for falling from aforementioned wagon but for not being big enough to come back before now. One or two of you may be asking yourselves why I'm back - and the easy answer being: 'for all the reasons written in this diary before now.' Although I have to say that I am feeling a lot more positive this time around.

Ok...The bad: I weighed in at my new meeting and I'm exactly what I was when I started last time (well, less 1 lb).

The Good: I've given up smoking and the job is still going well...In fact I have an interview for a promotion this week.

I have yet to meet my new leader as she was on holiday last week. In addition it's a new place I'm attending in a different village so I don't know anyone there. I didn't stay for the meeting last week as I, if I'm honest, just wanted to get out of there. I wasn't surprised at my weight though, wouldn't have been surprised if it had been higher! I'm now being weighed on a Wednesday evening.

Has anything changed with my mind set? Hmmm...That's a good question. I'd like to think 'yes' to be honest, as I really do feel a little more positive. I'm not going to set any goals at this stage and I'm not going to put myself under pressure to lose 'x' amount per week. I'll just follow the plan and I'll lose what I'll lose.

I'm now going to read through all my previous posts - see if I recognise that person from sixteen months ago, see if I'm still that person. Will I do it this time? I hope so...I've given myself twelve months to shed the six stone I want to lose, as opposed to losing that as quickly as I possibly can. I'll also take in some other people's diarys and musings, hope I can inspire them as others have inspired me.

Here's to 2012...The year all of us on here do fantastically well. I get weighed tomorrow and I've stayed on plan to the letter, hoping I can kick start things with a 7lb loss.

Paul

Last edited:
Welcome back fella;)

I thought it was something to do with Sunderland thumping Chelsea 3-0 - well, maybe not, but any excuse to mention it again:p

Main thing is you're back. I reached target, reduced it, then reached it again, now I went mad, and am in the process of losing it again to get back.

You've done it before, so you KNOW you can do it again.

You (and you alone) will know why you jumped off wagon before. Could be something you have better control of now.

Anyway, who cares, you're back and I'm sure you'll get that old buzz again as it drops off;)

Steve

Hi Paul

Like you I'm a lapsed SW'er (Mininmin'er) returning to the fold.

Having read through the rest of your diary, I find you inspiring (despite the lapse) and am sure you'll nail it x

Welcome back Paul,

Please don't feel guilty/ashamed about what's happened since you left - there is absolutely no point. This is a lifelong journey which will undoubtedly have it's highs and lows. Take heart from the fact that there are people still here from when you left that have been doing this a while and are substantially lighter than they were last time you 'saw' them (or who have maintained their losses) eg Ellebear, Maximus, Shrimpy, Madame la minx, jaylou and many others and use whatever your reasons for doing this as your motivation and inspiration to continue.

Some people thrive on targets, others not. But I agree with not being in a rush. Don't see this as a diet but a new way of eating. When you get to target, you shouldn't be coming off the plan again, just modifying it to maintain rather than lose ie don't deny yourself on the plan, use your syns to have the stuff that you would miss, just in moderation. You will feel amazing long before you get to target.

Good luck and welcome back.

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

Paul - i can not wait to read more of your journey and am very happy you are back!

You have been missed :D oh and no need to apologise, we all have times when its hard - and the main thing is you are back now.

Back