Birthday dilemma

Jonsgirl80

Silver Member
Help please!!

I've just found out my fiance has booked us a table at a lovely (and expensive!!:eek:) italian restaurant as a surprise for my birthday.

I've checked the menu online and it's literally all pizza and pasta - absolutely nothing atkins friendly at all.

I cant ask him to change it as he's gone to a lot of trouble and I'm not really supposed to know about it obviously.

So I know I'm probably gonna end up eating tonnes of carbs and I really want to avoid a big gain as I know it will de motivate me.

So my question is: to avoid a big gain is it best to gradually increase my carbs daily for say, about a week before to "wean" myself off the atkins and get my body used to carbs again?

Or is it better to just have a one day blow out, take the hit, then get straight back on it next day and hope I havent done too much damage?

Obviously I know that both ways will knock me out of ketosis but I would really appreciate your thoughts :confused:

If you can't find nothing carb friendly on the menu and your ready for water weight gain then be naughty that night and get straight back to it!

I know it's not great advice, i could tell you to eat this and try to stay on plan etc etc but seems you've made your mind up already. So have a fab night, and we'll see you back here in the morning.

Definately.. for one night only!! It'll be gone in seconds.. drink water for England the next day & strict induction & you'll be fine!

Enjoy it... unless yr the Queen you only get one birthday a year so make the most of it!! :D

Last edited:
i would have a 1 night blow out and get staight back on induction the next day with lots of water
i had 1 week blow out on holiday and put on 11lbs but within a week of being home and straigh back on the plan iv lost 10lbs hope to get the other 1 of this week

Hope you have a lovely birthday, don't forget - it is only one day in a year - get back on it straight away and you won't do much damage - will soon come off again!
Bren xx

thanks guys

Its not till next month but I'm already panicking about it.

Sad I know but my motivation has been so good this time I want to make the most of it while I can.

I would stick to plan if I could Zim but theres nowt for me on that bloomin menu :mad::mad:

I wish I could open an atkins restaurant with a full low carb menu, it's just so bloomin frustrating trying to eat out

I figure one day of blow out is better than a week of possible water weight gain and you may feel bloated on the night so enjoy your birthday and get back on strict induction the next day with gallons of water to flush it all out!

I wish I could open an atkins restaurant with a full low carb menu, it's just so bloomin frustrating trying to eat out

Do you know that exact thought enters my head now and again too Jonsgirl! If I knew there would be enough customers (would work in somewhere big like London not South Yorkshire!) but an Atkins restaurant would make a fair few bob I reckon :D

Do you know that exact thought enters my head now and again too Jonsgirl! If I knew there would be enough customers (would work in somewhere big like London not South Yorkshire!) but an Atkins restaurant would make a fair few bob I reckon :D

There's a place in Vancouver (where I used to live) who's head chef is a Low Carb expert. She always has lots of LC options, plus she makes sure there's always one LC dessert on the menu at all times. It's lovely to think that someone is keeping us in mind!

OP - does this Italian restaurant not have any meat or fish dishes? Like Veal Piccata or Osso Buco?

I was on a different Atkins board a long time ago, and we used to talk about "Hellering". There was a diet plan made by a Dr Heller, who believed that if you were going to go off-plan on an LC diet, as long as you did the damage within 60 minutes, you wouldn't get yourself off track. Something to do with not allowing a peak in your blood sugar from spiralling into full scale carb cravings. I don't remember all the details or the science behind it, but if I have to cheat a bit, I keep it within that one hour window - don't have a breaded appetizer and then have dessert two hours later. Then make sure you are strict when you get back on plan.

I've done this a few times in the past month, and the damage hasn't been bad. Not often - some birthday cake on my children's birthdays, that kind of thing - but watch the clock!

Have a lovely time on your birthday!

I would stick to plan if I could Zim but theres nowt for me on that bloomin menu :mad::mad:

I know what you mean, i think Italian is one of the worst options for LC eating out. Bless your hubby for taking the initative though, he could teach i'm a few things!!

ive had a couple of blow outs, not in the same week but i had a chinese, with rice chips batter....and just ignored the fact that i had eaten it and carried on exactly the same, strict induction, PLENTY of water and only had to put up with the cramps the day after, i lost 4lb that week!

its your birthday and you MUST treat yourself occasionally, dont stress over it, you are going to really enjoy the meal and the time with your fella....even if you STS, you know why xxx

Enjoy the meal & get straight back on it after.
Most Italians have meat or fish dishes too though.

Have a lovely time :)

Well we usually go to a local italian and they do steaks with blue cheese and chicken in a creamy sauce that I have with a side salad or veg so that's fine.

But he's taking me away so it's not our usual one and its a really limited menu only about 7-8 options:(

thats really interesting about hellering seraphine, I've never heard of that I might have to look into it further :D x

It's your birthday and you've got plenty of time to be really strict beforehand. :) Oh and don't be surprised if you feel totally crap the day after love.

Some great advice here, have a good time, but strictly back on track the next morning, look forward to the evening.

It's your birthday and you've got plenty of time to be really strict beforehand. :) Oh and don't be surprised if you feel totally crap the day after love.

thats the other thing that was bothering me apart from the weight gain jim.

The fact that I'll feel rubbish the day after from carb overload which will spoil our sunday as were going for the full weekend.

Plus I'll then feel rubbish again a couple of days later when i go back into ketosis and atkins flu strikes again :(

oh well I suppose you've got to make these sacrifices, it is a way of eating for life after all so I guess it would be unrealistic to say I'd never have another carb blow out for the rest of my life?

Back