Bread - Healthy Extra help please!

KezzieB

Hello, I have been following SW for 5 weeks now, 3 religiously, the other 2 not so. I have managed to lose 12.5 pounds so far!
I really like this diet, after struggling very much with the CD and I am determined to have an extra-fab week!
I have a query and wonder of anyone can help?
I am choosing bread as a healthy choice b, but it says 2 slices from a 400g loaf. I buy 800g loaves as it's cheaper and because of my hubby/son, we get through a lot of bread!
Now, does that mean I can just have 1 slice of this 800g loaf as a HE? Or does it not work like that? Or if I have 2 slices (which I need to really!) how many syns do I need to be using on top of the HE if you see what I mean? I tend to only have bread the days I work (3 midweek days) as its a quick option, when I am at home I use free food on whatever day I am having.
Alternatively, if anyone does have the 400g loaves, please can you tell me how much 2 slices weigh, then I will weigh 2 of the 800g loaves and work out the difference and then convert that difference to syns.
Sorry if I sound thick and thanks in advance for your help!!

If you can have 2 slices from a 400g loaf then I would say you could have 1 slice from 800g loaf - that makes sense to me. Otherwise just weigh out your slices from 800g to see if 1 slice equals 57g (I think that's the allowance off the top of my head). As a rough guide a healthy extra is usually around 6 syns so if you have 1 slice of bread (from 800g loaf) as a HE B then the second slice, if not using as a HE B, would be 6 syns. But your book can give you a more definitive answer.

Hope that helps!

I'd agree with you Stacey. I only buy the 400g loaves now, but when I was living with parents, I just use to count 1 slice of 800g bread as a B. x

Thank you!!

I didn't know a HE equated to about 6 syns (have looked on the website now and that definitely is the case)!

One slice of the particular 800g loaf I buy is 4 syns, so therefore for my lunch today I just need to allow 2 syns!

Wouldn't it still be 4 syns if using one slice as B and one as syns? If a slice is 4 syns and you're having it in addition to your B choice (regardless of a B being 6 syns) then you would have to count the full syns? Does this make sense?

I think the '2 slices from a 400g loaf' is a bit misleading as an 800g loaf could have the same size slices. If you are not sure the best thing to do is weigh the bread and work it out that way

My dad's girlfriend mastered slicing an 800g loaf into slices that weighed 57g for two - it was the only way she could stop my dad having about 6 healthy extra's each day!

I have a 400g loaf and a 800g loaf and the slices are exactly the same size, it's just the amount of slices in the loaf that's different

Back