Breakfast?

synstar

Does anybody else not eat breakfast. I never have and I find it hard to get my head round starting now. I know it is the most important meal of the day and all that, but I rarely feel like eating first thing (unless I'm at a hotel or something). It isn't to do with saving calories or anything, just not in the habit. I don't usually feel hungry until lunchtime anyway. Do you think it is ok to carry on without it, or do I need to try and start having something first thing?:confused:

It is just a habit but one that you can break. You just have to make yourself have something every day, starting with something small. It may feel awful at first like you really don't want to do it but it will soon be second nature. I never used to have breakfast but now I'm ravenous come 8.30am if I haven't had something lol

I was never ever a fan of breakfast until I started sw and read all the advice on here about making sure I have it. It's now the one meal that I won't skip, regardless of whether im hungry or not. I love my shreddies, banana and milk more than life itself! Give it a few days and it'll just become habit!
I can't remember but I think by having something in the morning it helps kick start your metabolism after it being 'at rest' during the night...or something along those lines!

If you do not feel very hungry in the mornings maybe you could have a hi fi bar? That is a lighter way to start the day.

I never ate breakfast as a kid/teenager but now I can't go without it. Perhaps try some exercise before bed the night before, I always wake up starving after a long run!

Does anybody else not eat breakfast. I never have and I find it hard to get my head round starting now. I know it is the most important meal of the day and all that, but I rarely feel like eating first thing (unless I'm at a hotel or something). It isn't to do with saving calories or anything, just not in the habit. I don't usually feel hungry until lunchtime anyway. Do you think it is ok to carry on without it, or do I need to try and start having something first thing?:confused:

I'm exactly the same, so just munch on a banana or some grapes to kick-start the metabolism...it gets easier, I promise!

synstar said:

My mum does SW with me and very rarely has breakfast, she has lost 2.5 stone!

This has been raised in group and the point of SW is there are no rules telling you when and what you should eat. If you don't fancy breakfast then don't have it.
Having said that it is a good idea to have something to get you going in the morning but if it's not harming your weigh loss then carry on as you are. It's always something you can come back to later if your losses slow. X

The only thing I would say- and this might come across as a bit blunt but please don't take it that way, it's just something I have had to keep telling myself about changing old habits (not very good at change!)- is that any habits around eating that you currently have, are obviously not doing you any good as you've got to the point where you feel you need to try Slimming World. So maybe try and change those habits and see if it makes a difference? I know it's not about calories as to why you don't eat brekkie but it is one of the first things most dieticians say- you need breakfast. If you give it a try in the name of starting something new and changing your eating habits for the better, you can always stop having it if you find it's not working out for you.

I too cant face food first thing so I brought a container which holds cereal in the bottom and then milk in the top (try Lakeland) I take this to work and have around nine along with a banana, on mornings when I go to the gym first I will have a banana in the car before I go in and then my breakfast once at work. You could choose something from the 'grab and go' list and have as a mid morning snack around 10:00. My no breakfast started back in the days that I smoked when breakfast was coffee and a fag!! (another bad habit I broke)

I quite often just grab a banana on the way to work, can normally manage that.

i struggle with breakfast but i have 1 hi-fi bar (as part of my B) and some kind of fruit like an orange.

Hi folks, thanks for all your replies. I think the no breakfast thing started when I was a student, work late nights in a pub and didn't get up until lunchtime!! My sleeping patterns have changed, but I didn't pick up the breakfast habit! I'm going to try and make an effort, though, as part of adopting better habits generally. Had a smoked salmon sandwich with whole meal bread this morning - not very 'breakfasty' I admit! Is it 28g for a HEX B of Dorset muesli, or has it increased with the changes? (my books are 6 months old).

Back