Buying a Puppy - £500?

I think people have started misunderstanding what's being said again.. Not everyone is for crate training, but as I said above, I can see why it has it's benefits & why the RSPCA support it if it prevents dogs from being destructive.

The main problem with it that was mentioned above was that my friend will be out of the house from around 9am & back about 5pm (roughly speaking).. Which I feel is too long for a dog to be crated or left in a car.. But if she has him from a puppy, what other option is there? She can't take him in people's houses with her & she can't let him roam the house for that amount of time as a puppy! & then of course, the dog would be crated for bedtime as well so he'd be spending about 16 hours in a crate!

Fillymum - That's awful how they treated their dog :( I'm so glad she found a better home.

Shrimpy - Lol, I don't think Sox would enjoy it at all! He would be so sad if we crated him at all! He's perfectly happy having free run of the house - the only room he's not allowed in is the bedroom because he goes on the bed & hubby hates that.

Allie, I'm with you. I can kind of understand about it being a safe place for them to go, but for ours thats what their beds are, but they still have the run of the house. I can also understand it if you have a dog who can be very destructive, say if they have separation anxiety, but I would still try and get some help for him first before crating. However, as a general rule for a happy well adjusted dog I don't think its something that I would ever see as necessary. Thankfully all of mine seem happy and generally well adjusted, which is just as well as the crates would have to be enourmous!!!

I don't crate/pen/cage my house rabbits why do it to a doggie? I don't understand it but know I'm gonna get a bashing.
I love it.......free range bunnies. Lucky bunnies.

How can a crated dog deter a burglar ??? My dogs are not just our pets, our famly, they are there to protect us and our home. It is their job.

Well, the RWAF and RSPCA all advocate a 6x2x2ft hutch with a 6ft x 4ft run that is accesible at all times, and that is for 2 bunnies. How big are these crates that the RSPCA are wanting for dogs then?! :confused:

Animals are animals, you can't lock them away for doing things are a completely natural to them.

Imagine what size I would need for my 2 Great Danes.Mind you I think the house might be considered to be their crate lol.

2008_02240006.jpg

This is Klaus who is the lightest one and in this photo he was not fuly grown.

Back to the original reason for this topic.........did she get a puppy ?

Well, the RWAF and RSPCA all advocate a 6x2x2ft hutch with a 6ft x 4ft run that is accesible at all times, and that is for 2 bunnies. How big are these crates that the RSPCA are wanting for dogs then?! :confused:

Animals are animals, you can't lock them away for doing things are a completely natural to them.

I don't know the exact measurements for each dog, but I have heard that it is recommended that the dog have enough room to stand & turn around comfortably. If it's too big (if there is any 'extra' space) the dog is likely to do it's 'business' in there as well, which is why they're supposed to be small! I'm not sure how many people crate to these recommendations, but it seems a bit harsh!

I'm glad no one on here leaves their dog crated for an extended period of time.

Our bunnies have a hutch & come inside to play, but are always supervised. I couldn't imagine having house bunnies.. Although I love the idea! I would be terrified they'd do something like chew through a wire or something. We bring them in when it starts getting cold out. I want to save for a bigger inside hutch though.

Sorry if I missed this earlier, but did your friend get a puppy in the end JustmeGemmy?

(I'm just nosey, need to know the conclusion to the story!!)

I don't know the exact measurements for each dog, but I have heard that it is recommended that the dog have enough room to stand & turn around comfortably. If it's too big (if there is any 'extra' space) the dog is likely to do it's 'business' in there as well, which is why they're supposed to be small! I'm not sure how many people crate to these recommendations, but it seems a bit harsh!

I'm glad no one on here leaves their dog crated for an extended period of time.

Goodness, that shocks me.

I am the woman that once bought a young turkey from our eed merchant because he could not stand up in his cage !!!

I called him Bernard and he grew up thinking he was at the very least a dog.

bernard.jpg

Bernard looking a bit tatty he was moulting a bit.

Sorry if I missed this earlier, but did your friend get a puppy in the end JustmeGemmy?

(I'm just nosey, need to know the conclusion to the story!!)

Yes I would like to know the outcome too

Back