Cal allowance

headdown

How do you work out how many cals a day you need to loose weight???

you need a calorie deficit of roughly 3400 cals for every lb you want to lose
and you should aim for between 1-2lbs a week for the best results

So first you need to work out what your BMR is here BMR Calculator
this is how many calories (roughly, dependent on how much you excercise etc) you need on a daily basis

x that by 7 and that gives you your weekly amount, now minus 3400 cals for 1lb loss or 6800 for a 2lb loss and divide whats left between 7

that should give you the amount of cals you will need to eat to lose 1-2lbs

don't forget if your particulary active you can afford to eat more calories (and that this calculator doest take that into account)

That's quite low isn't it, mine comes out as 838 per day to loose 2 pounds a week!!!!!

That is far too few calories to lose weight in a healthy way. I know VLCD are around 500 calories, but they are nutritionally sound. I wouldn't say that you should go under 1,200 calories a day. Try that and see how you get on.

Good luck with your weight loss. :)

you have to multiply the BMR by this to get your total calorie allowance:

Harris Benedict FormulaTo determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:
  1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
  2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
  3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
  4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
  5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Mine came out at 1705 x 1.2 = 2046 multiplied by 7 (days) = 14322 minus 7000 (2lb fat in cals) = 7322 divided by 7 (days) = total cal allowance of 1046 to lose 2lb a week.

Hope this helps
Laura

Back