Calorie calculator Help

Pheonix2010

Silver Member
Hi all

Im thinking of switching from vlcd to calorie counting but have been stalled at the first hurdle

Ive been on a few calculators this morning and have had very confusing info

the calories needed to maintain my weight of 153lb varies from 1350 to 2086 per day

a massive difference I think you will agree

So where would I get a definitive answer

Ive entered the same weight height age and activity level in each one , so really they should all be working to the same equations and give at least a similar result

Help please !!

I would take this with a pinch of salt the truth is we are all so bloody different its confusing.

I would start low and if you are still losing then add more its about finding what is good for you x

thankyou , Im thinking of starting between 800 and 1000 , which seems low to some but Ive been having between 500 and 700 on the vlcd so for me that doesnt seem too low

the vlcd has worked this far but im struggling as i get nearer to goal

Have a look at My Fitness Pal - there are lots of threads which explain the benefits of not going below 1200 cals. I'm not saying don't do it - but I have actually started losing weight again after being on a 3 month plateau by eating more!

Good luck x

I think slowly upping your calories is a good idea for you, because your body has been used to so much, but try and get up to at least 1200 :) good luck

thankyou for your advice , I joined mfp but havnt used it yet , ill have a look
and i think slowly increasing would be a good idea too

VLCD can be so low because their food packs are nutrient enriched. If you're eating below 1200 while on real food you'll find it hard to get enough nutrition in. Follow your diet's refeed plan and mix food packs with real food until you're up to 1200.

moonlights said:
VLCD can be so low because their food packs are nutrient enriched. If you're eating below 1200 while on real food you'll find it hard to get enough nutrition in. Follow your diet's refeed plan and mix food packs with real food until you're up to 1200.

This.

I lost a lot on LL but couldn't properly follow the refeed (had an operation half way through and fell to bits).

Start low as you can. If you can't afford e vlcd refeed then stick to protein and veg. As little sugar and refined carbs as you can.

Normally eating les than 1200 is inadvisable but coming off a vlcd it's probably even more unhealthy to jump from 500 to 1200, IMO.

Thanks thats really helpful , Im going to do around 800 for a couple of weeks , then 1000 for a couple and work my way up to 1200 , after the vlcd it seems like a hell of a lot of food , but Im sure its a fraction of what i used to eat lol

oh and yes im aiming for high protein and low carb , but not atkins type thing , more just healthy eating and minimal carbs

Back