Can anyone help

Nixy

Hi

Recently got tested for PCOS. FFirst set of blood tests at the end of my cycle said my hormone levels indicated PCOS and my testosterone levels were high but needed to retested between 2-5 days after my period started.

Had the tests re done which apparently came back 'fairly' normal (not sure what thats supposed to mean) so doctor wan't too concerned.

I went for an ultra sound yesterday as been having a bit of pelvic pain, everything was ok but the nurse said my overies had a polycystic appearance but no big cysts.

Now i'm confused if i have PCOS or not and what to do next.

Nixy sorry that they weren't very helpful. Docs usually aren't if I'm honest. I was diagnosed at 17 after 5 years of my childhood GP telling me to take paracetemol every month.
At the time the PCOS didn't pose much of a problem just painful & irregular periods & acne.
When I was diagnosed the GP advised me to go on dianette to regulate things and tackle the acne. Finally!! Some help ('',)
My weight has slowly crept up and I find it really hard o manage my weight. The thing with docs is they generally won't really do anything of use unless you want to conceive.
Would this be something you are looking to do in the near future?

Hi

Recently got tested for PCOS. FFirst set of blood tests at the end of my cycle said my hormone levels indicated PCOS and my testosterone levels were high but needed to retested between 2-5 days after my period started.

Had the tests re done which apparently came back 'fairly' normal (not sure what thats supposed to mean) so doctor wan't too concerned.

I went for an ultra sound yesterday as been having a bit of pelvic pain, everything was ok but the nurse said my overies had a polycystic appearance but no big cysts.

Now i'm confused if i have PCOS or not and what to do next.

hi , i have a few friends with this condition and i thought i had it too beacuse i have so much facial hair. i have also had a few miscarriages so getting pregnat has not been a problem except that it takes so long and i dont have any living kid but i have been told through tests and scan that i do not have this condition. however the symptoms can be very prominent or mild depending on the amount of hormones in the body, one can help or ease the symptoms through healthy living and exercises. i have 2 friends who do not even menstruate that have had babies. there is no hard and fast rule concerning the condition, some people menstruate a few times a year while some people do not alt all. if this has been confirmed in your case there are a lot of things you can do to ease the symptoms and make life easier. takia

In the next few years I will.
I always had a feeling I had PCOS. As a teenage I had really painful irregular periods, acne (steroids cleared it up in the end)and facial hair which is still the ongoing nightmare. I was 3 stone heavier then and now ive lost weight my cycle seems much more regular now which is good. I still find it very hard to control my weight as I'm so emotional and it can go on very quickly.

It seems to me the doctor isn't that bothered as it can't be cured or life threatening. Bit freaked out babies may take longer to come in the future.

Just a bit confused about the meaning of having ovaries that have a poly cystic appearance means and can I still have PCOS even if the hormone levels are fairly normal

I was the same when I was overweight my periods were VERY irregular. I could wait up to 9weeks for it to arrive. Very very very painful aswell.
It could be a case that the nurse could see scar tissue on your ovaries from previous cysts. Just because there are none now and your hormone levels are 'OK' doesn't mean you don't have it. It probably just means that you are keeping things regulated by looking after your weight etc...
I'm the same I want to conceive in the next couple of years so I need to really sort my body out now once and for all.
Usually what happens with ttc is that if you are overweight you have less of a chance of ovulating every cycle if at all because PCOS affects your hormone levels so much.
The best you can do now is look after yourself and your weight & maintain a good exercise regimen. When it does get to the point where you want to ttc give it 6-10 months and if nothing has happened pop to the docs and they will do bloods and possibly start you off on metformin this helps women to ovulate when they suffer with PCOS.
Try not to be too worried. MOST woman go on to conceive without problems so don't take it as the rule that you will have problems.

Just mind yourself ('',)

Just to reiterate what has already been said, I went to my gp the other day and in order to have PCOS you need to have two out of 3 things which include symptoms, Polycystic ovaries on the ultrasound and also biochemical markers ie your hormones not being correct. The majority of the time when someone is first diagnosed they have not been doing anything towards making it better so hormones aren't right. She also said because I have the same thing with you at the moment that my hormone levels are normal, this is because your hormone levels do fluctuate anyways so obviously any weight loss will help this or just your body trying to sort the imbalance out itself.

So long as you try to follow a healthy lifestyle to prevent issues such as diabetes etc, then there is nothing to worry about it being life threatening really and there is no reason why you shouldnt be able to try and concieve naturally given the chance and not stressing yourself out over it (this is how many PCOS natural pregnancies occur) and avoid medical intervention altogether.

Good Luck and keep coming back for support we are all here for each other :) xxx

Back