Can someone explain smoked bacon to me please?

JezVonSavage

Lost in the Supermarket
So, I've been told by my consultant that smoked bacon is quite high in syns, although I can't find this written anywhere in my literature but I'm taking her word for it. But I keep coming accross SW recipes that contain smoked bacon and are free :confused:

How does that work???

as far as i know its free i have always used it as free as long as all fat is removed:)

That's what I thought, but she says not :cry:

I can't find it anywhere though! And her explanations make no sense to me at all. Don't want to question the authoritah though!

If there are SW recipes which have smoked bacon in them which are free, then that proves that it must be free. And in the directory bacon is in the free list without specifying what kind (with the obvious proviso that all the fat should be cut off).

There is nothing in the smoking process of bacon that can add fat as far as I know. I suppose if there were sugar used in the cure, that would add calories, but it doesn't penetrate the skin and fat which you are cutting off anyway.

I would query it with your consultant - if she has got it wrong you will be doing her a favour if you do it discreetly.

I agree with the others but you could phone the syn helpline to get a definitive answer before you speak to her

Back