Can't afford to eat healthy - what do we all think of this?

Wish I could afford to buy branded crisps every week!! own brand stuff for me. :(
We buy branded but we go on mysupermarket.com every week and only get stuff when it's on the best offer, if it's not on offer we don't get it!

After initially thinking healthy food is expensive as argued by my friend and after comparing the cost of our shopping I agreed with her.
However, I've just looked at our shopping bill and although the bill was over £70 most of this we could live without. The bulk of the shop was actually cheap. £10 on meat, £3 on potatoes, £5 on beans and lentils. £10 on fresh veg. The rest was made up with expensive fruit, yogurts, 'syns' etc
So, although I initially came down on the healthy eating is expensive, It's only as expensive as I make it.

I don't think her real issue is the price of healthier foods, she obviously has an unhealthy relationship towards food & I certainly can relate to that. I think perhaps the NHS could help her, but I'm thinking more down the therapy route.. Maybe a bit of CBT to help her to control her urges to binge? I don't think it's fair for her to be asking the NHS to give her money or food stamps etc so she can lose weight.. But there are other ways that they can help her, as they help everyone else - Such as prescription SW or WW groups, exercise on prescription (I believe you still have to pay some, but it's a lower price), therapy etc. These things would help her to not only lose weight but also to maintain a healthier attitude towards food as well.

I do find SW & WW expensive, but I think once you know where to look for food at the best prices, then it can be a lot cheaper! We ended up shopping in different supermarkets for different things, which saved us money!

I hope she does get the support she needs, rather than what she *wants* & is able to live a happier, healthier life. Atm, she is clearly a very unhappy person :(

I don't think her real issue is the price of healthier foods, she obviously has an unhealthy relationship towards food & I certainly can relate to that. I think perhaps the NHS could help her, but I'm thinking more down the therapy route.. Maybe a bit of CBT to help her to control her urges to binge? I don't think it's fair for her to be asking the NHS to give her money or food stamps etc so she can lose weight.. But there are other ways that they can help her, as they help everyone else - Such as prescription SW or WW groups, exercise on prescription (I believe you still have to pay some, but it's a lower price), therapy etc. These things would help her to not only lose weight but also to maintain a healthier attitude towards food as well.

I do find SW & WW expensive, but I think once you know where to look for food at the best prices, then it can be a lot cheaper! We ended up shopping in different supermarkets for different things, which saved us money!

I hope she does get the support she needs, rather than what she *wants* & is able to live a happier, healthier life. Atm, she is clearly a very unhappy person :(

I agree :)

The thing that gets me is that if she truly didn't have spare money for fruit/veg, she wouldn't have such well stocked (and I mean quantity not quality of product) cupboards. They'd be bare? They fact is she buys all the rubbish foods on multi buy offers. If she planned her menus properly she'd have far less in her cupboards but it would all be much healthier stuff.

Unfortunately some people just want a quick fix and for others to do the hard work for then. Also I'm sure she's being paid handsomely for her story and appearances!

How about a big bag of potatoes? Pre prepared food is not cheaper. It is a myth put about by people too lazy to cook.
I think that is a fact...can't cook, won't cook!! I was taught the basics at school in domestic science and certainly knew about budgeting from my own mum. Probably sad to say I've had to budget and scrimp the whole of my life too. But no matter...we are healthy and slim!!

I think that is a fact...can't cook, won't cook!! I was taught the basics at school in domestic science and certainly knew about budgeting from my own mum. Probably sad to say I've had to budget and scrimp the whole of my life too. But no matter...we are healthy and slim!!

Totally agree.

Back