Cant believe this!

Jodieboo

Gold Member
I have just finished my cooking for the night. 12.40am is a very silly time, I know, but I have been slow cooking meat all night.

I have cooked a whole chicken tonight and also a turkey leg.

And these are the results..

The bowl on the left is the meat off the whole chicken costing £4.77. The bowl on the right is the meat off the turkey leg costing £1.71.

I CANNOT believe that I have got more meat off the turkey leg which was £3.06p cheaper. I think i'll be saving myself a few quid now!

I was only really buying the whole chicken as I refused to spend £4.50 on breast fillets, but now I've found this out, I think i'll be buying turkey from now on! AND turkey is a speed food too!

:D

I want to eat your turkey :( I was cooking at 1 AM the other night,saving the next days stress! X
What are you going to do with them? Where did you buy your turkey leg? I must look out for some x

There will be a lot of turkey legs going cheap after the sale of all those turkey crowns in the next couple of weeks ;)

Was it a turkey drumstick 700g (checking online and thats all its showing)? - cost £1.71

on the pic it looks little, but if you can get that much meat off it, its def worth a try and a good way of cutting my food bill.

Thanks for the tip!

I get much more meat than that from a whole chicken hun. I buy the 1.5kg free range chickens from aldi for a fiver, and I get the two breasts and about 250-300g of other meat from it.

I can get 3 meals from this one chicken and I also keep the stock (cook it in the slow cooker) put it in the fridge to set, then scoop the fat off.

Unless you don't like the dark meat?

The turkey legs have always been a good buy - I get these from Tesco too but they are too big to fit in my slow cooker so I have to get hubby to chop the end off the bone!!

I also shop at Asda and get a lot more meat from my chicken too. I also prefer chicken to turkey -though I tried one of those legs as I often see people walking around the theme parks in Florida eating them - they are huge lol.

Turkey is often too dry for me, but cooking in the slow cooker really helps.

By the way, assuming you're not eating them cold, why not put them on overnight and they'll be done in the morning? - I often place a full chicken in the slow cooker and go to work, lovely to come home to a sumptious bird:eek:;)

By the way, assuming you're not eating them cold, why not put them on overnight and they'll be done in the morning? - I often place a full chicken in the slow cooker and go to work, lovely to come home to a sumptious bird:eek:;)

Exactly what I do. Not the most attractive of sumptuous birds, but the meat falls off the bones so easily, not much picking off required!

Cooking turkey upside down for the bulk of the cooking time helps with the dryness, as all the moisture gathers in the breast c/o gravity, then you just tip it over for the last half an hour to brown the skin off.

Yours sincerely, recently converted vegetarian :D :D :D

There's only breast meat on the chicken plate did you not carve the legs and thighs too? Not forgetting the 'olives' underneath! Use your fingers it's easier up pick the carcass!

We eat wild turkeys over here and they are huge. The breast meat is most tender so that is all we tend to eat. The two fillets would make four meals easily they are that big. Didn't realise it was a speed food, that is even better

Back