Carb free sauces ... WDYT?

4isnotenough

what do you make of this ...

Walden Farms Ketchup: Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

Its carb free! If you look at the other walden farms produce many of them are claiming to be carb free too. Is this something you could eat and be ok on atkins. They do a chocolate syrup - what if you made real cream ice cream a la atkins then poured waldens syrup over the top?

Im not looking to put sweet things into my diet (I have sensitive teeth lol) but if something like this was available it would be great at birthday parties and the like.

I get heinz one carb from low carb megastore - cant tell the difference from normal one and just count the carbs

Have had the Heinz one carb ketchup which was nice n found I needed less than the normal type as seemed to taste more tomatoey.

Also tried the carb free maple syrup n strawberry sauce from low carb megastore. The maple syrup was amazing n very sticky. Could even use it to marinade meat in before cooking. The strawberry one wasn't as nice but still edible.

Oh yes - forgot to say we have the sf maple syrup too- very useful for making desserts as dh doesnt like splenda

- I came across the following recipe for Chocolate Syrup this evening - worth a try?

It's from the USA - but I think it works out at 1.8 carbs per Tablespoon.

I only have Xantham Gum - but I might give it a go if I can find some guar gum.

Chocolate Syrup

1 1/2 cups Splenda sweetener
1 cup cocoa
dash salt
1 cup hot water
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons guar gum

In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, add Splenda, cocoa & salt.
Gradually add the hot water, stirring to keep mixture smooth.
Cook,stirring constantly until it boils; cook & stir for 3 minutes.
Remove from heat & stir in vanilla & guar gum{put back on stove if it doesn't thicken right away}
Cool to room temperature then pour into a sealable container & refrigerate.
Makes 2 cups syrup.*** 2.7 carbs minus 0.9 gr. fiber= 1.8 carbs per T.

Piglet thanks I need to try this ... I have an ice cream maker so will be making ice cream later this week .... You need to have something with it lol.
I looked on amazon you can get guar - I wonder if H&B do it though.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Clair I didn't know Heinz I'd the low carb ketchup, I wonder if they do BBQ sauces or something else

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Guar gum is really fiddly to work with - I used to use it to thicken pureed foods when I worked with home care clients with swallowing issues (they needed their food not just pureed but thickened too).

It keeps on thickening and thickening... something that was just right when we started, became completely gelatinous by the end of the meal. Putting it in the fridge made it set to concrete.

Go easy with the stuff! Maybe just make small batches until you get the hang of it?

eBay sometimes have the low carb Heinz range available from the US.

The Heinz one carb ketchup is by far the tastiest, and I use it all the time now for the whole fam.

I like the one carb Heinz too - and the s/f maple syrup is fab when you have a sweet craving, I mix up a bit in a spoonful of cream cheese.

You can also do this and add to some ground flax and butter as the biscuit base for cheesecake nom nom :D

Back