carbs

I just avoid them. It's the No-Beige diet. Beige being bread, potatoes, crisps, cake, biscuits, pizza, couscous and rice and maize, breakfast cerials and porrige too. I'm not religious about avoidance - but as you say they're high in calories and they often don't bring much flavour.

i tried staying away from wheat ie bread, roti. however have had some bread this week and a few tortilla wraps with turkey.

try eat whole/complex carbs whenever possible, ie wholemeal bread, brown rice, spelt pasta, new potatoes rather then mash or chips or instead maybe couscous.

you do need carbs for energy and maybe dont want to cut them out completley, u can get carbs from veg too

I saw a TV program recently which followed a group of people in the assessment process for stomach stapling. The surgeon who performed the operations was featured eating a tin of tuna - which he has every day for lunch - and he said he never eats anything "Beige". He went on to list Beige foods as bread (all bread), cerials, rice, crisps, potatoes, cake, biscuits. It seems he gets all his energy from the carbs in fruit and veg.

It struck me that there can't much danger in copying him as he's a highly qualified surgeon. Also, it seems a watered version of the Atkins diet. I haven't managed to stick to the No-Beige diet but it's made me think. I didn't have pasta with my meaty sauce and salad this evening...

i saw that too! it was 'the hospital' and it was the one on gastric band surgery. i was very suprised that the surgeon only ate 1 can of tuna for his lunch - and thats it!! he did look quite skinny tho...

i always thought it was bad to cut out an entire food group from your diet but i guess if he was still eating lots of fruit and veg then he would still be getting enough carbs.

i think i would just prefer to eat one source of low GI carbs for breakfast and then go carb free for the rest of the day. that way the energy that you get at breakfast will be used up during the day and if you create a calorie deficit in the later part of the day (by eating less because carbs tend to be v. calorific; or in conjunction with exercise) then you are bound to lose weight.

You can cut out carbs and still get energy from other food groups: i.e. low carb diets/atkins, you burn protein for fuel rather than carbs. And yes there are carbs in veg (some more than others obviously).

As others have said (I just want to reiterate), you don't have to cut out carbs completely: but have wholemeal stuff rather than white, and keep your diet balanced. Slow release carbs are absolutely fine. Anyway that's the way I understood a truly healthy diet to be: balanced with all food groups, and plenty of fruit and veg.

slow release carbs are always a good idea - they stop those stabbing cravings for something sweet! just make sure it's a small portion of the carbs and then add extra veg to fill you up.

i never get anything refined: wholewheat pasta, rice and noodles and granary bread (if bread is necessary) i'm still losing so i must be doing something right!

i try to balance my carbs with protein, so in my wrap i have turkey, with spag bol try have less pasta and more meat same with curry i measure 150g of rice and then have 200g of chicken

Trouble with wheaty things, though, is they send me on a binge. One piece of crusty warm bread with butter and jam is not enough. Nor is one scone...There's something really moreish about wheat.

I've been having muesli and semi milk everyday for brekky and 3 days this week I've had 40g (dried weight) wholewheat pasta and either chicken or tuna mixed with it.
Do you guys think I should cut out the muesli and pasta?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

How about a boiled egg for breakfast, and a grapefruit? You could mix your tuna with salad - though I need a tasty dressing on all salad - even if it's just a mix of olive oil and white wine vinegar. I'd not be eating pasta - it doesn't taste of much without a sauce - which sort of proves it's just a bland filler food. And museli is really dense so you don't get much volume for your calories. When I need cerieal I have cornflakes - I measure it out like it says on the box and use the volume of milk they say too.

I love my carbs but they do seem high in calories. Any suggestions?

Just for your interest, carbs have 4 calories per gram same as protein. So calories in carbs isn't too high at all. The problem is what you put on it.

It struck me that there can't much danger in copying him as he's a highly qualified surgeon.

Yeah, but he's a surgeon, not a qualified nutritionist. Probably had an hour lecture on nutrition in the whole of his career. In that same programme, the nutritionist talked about having a balanced diet which included complex carbs.

never get anything refined: wholewheat pasta, rice and noodles and granary bread (if bread is necessary) i'm still losing so i must be doing something right!

Yep :clap: Losing weight is to do with calories, rather than cutting out a food group.

I've been having muesli and semi milk everyday for brekky and 3 days this week I've had 40g (dried weight) wholewheat pasta and either chicken or tuna mixed with it.
Do you guys think I should cut out the muesli and pasta?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

As Alicia says, muesli is rather dense, so you don't get much bang for your cals. Porridge is fab. Low GI (not the instant stuff), quick cooking in the microwave. Yum...especially with fruit stirred in before cooking, and a dollop of greek yoghurt after.

Wholewheat pasta with chicken and tuna...fab. Add tinned toms and you get a load of lycopene to help prevent some cancers and heart disease :clap:

Carbs are great. :cool:

Of course, nothing is forbidden on a calorie caontrolled diet - you just have to know what you're eating.

But...When I weighted out my museli to calculate my breakfast I was aiming for 200cal overall, including milk, a bit of sugar and a cup of tea, (I can't remember what grams it needed now) - I was disappointed with how much I had in my bowl. Compared to what else I might have been eating. The danger with museli is that you're tempted to just have a regular sized bowl full.

Back