Challenge: Foods of the world...JULY = BRAZIL

Aggghhhhh sooooooo sorry I really meant to do this but life has been a bit of a crisis the last week or two and now Im off on holiday in a few days and my menu is all booked up til then, I literally have to empty the fridge! :eek:

Its just because I plan my menu way ahead so I always have the stuff in and dont go off track, so Im only just reaching the end of the menu I had when this started! Ill deffo do the next one though, when I know what its gonna be Ill set aside a Saturday and devise a menu for it. Im definitely still in! )

I think it's a good choice, it makes people think about how we can adapt everyday meals which we all enjoy to SW friendly meals, my ideas are French onion soup, main undecided, but for dessert either pancakes or Le-Clafouti (custard batter with fruits):D I know other countries will be easier, but I like a bit of a challenge every now & then:D

Yeah I agree, the whole point is that you can make pretty much anything SW friendly. I dont look at SW and then think "what can I have?", I think "What do I want?" and then I make it SW-able. :)

We decided against a starter, the only one I fancied was French Onion soup, but OH wasn't too keen & it just didn't seem right making it just for one. Anyhow my recipes below, I really enjoyed Coq au Vin it was delicous, apparently the french serve it with a bagette, obviously I didn't, & just had it on it's own, very yummy:D

Coq au Vin

Ingredients:

• 5 lb chicken, rinsed, patted dry, cut into 6 large pieces
  • 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
  • 2 medium white onions, chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 2 gloves garlic, crushed
  • ½ teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 5 cups dry red wine (I used 200mls = 7 syns)
  • ¼ cup Cognac (I didn’t use as OH not too keen)
  • Fry Light
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons sweetener
  • 8 ounces pearl onions
  • 8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced thin (I didn’t use as OH not too keen)
  • 6 ounces good-quality sliced bacon, chopped
  • 1 tbsp cornflour (3.5 syns)

Prep Time: 12 hours, 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 13 hours

Method
Place the chicken in a large, deep, non-reactive casserole dish. Layer the carrots, onion, celery, tomato, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, parsley, and pepper evenly over the chicken pieces. In a small bowl, mix together the red wine and Cognac. Drizzle the wine mixture over the vegetables and chicken, and then marinate the mixture overnight, for 8-12 hours.

Preheat the oven to 425F. Spray fry light on a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove each piece of the chicken from the marinade, reserving the liquid, and brown them on each side. Set aside the chicken, scoop the vegetables out of the marinade, and cook them in the skillet for 5 minutes, until they begin to get tender.

Arrange the chicken in a deep, glass casserole dish, layer the vegetables over the chicken, and pour the reserved liquid over the casserole. Sprinkle the salt and sweentener over the mixture, cover, and bake it in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.

While the chicken is baking, fry the bacon in the skillet until it is crispy and set it aside to drain. Sauté the mushrooms and onions over low-medium heat for 6-8 minutes, until they turn tender. When the chicken has cooked for 20 minutes, remove it from the oven and add the bacon, mushrooms, and onions. Cover and return the casserole to the oven for 20 minutes.
Mix together a little stock & the cornflour until it forms a smooth paste. Add to the chicken and vegetables for the last 5 minutes of cooking. Remove the casserole from the oven and allow it to sit and thicken for a few minutes before serving.

003.jpg

French pancakes

Ingredients
2 eggs
25g of Ready Break (Hexb)
1/2 cup of fat free vanilla yoghurt
1 tablespoon of Splenda
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
(both the above add up to 0.5 syns)
Frylight
Blueberries
Quark mixed with a little water & lemon juice

Method

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.

In a separate bowl mix together the yogurt and eggs.

Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients.

Spray a griddle pan with some Frylight spray and cook your pancakes until golden on each side (be careful when flipping over). The mixture will make 4 pancakes.

Serve the pancakes with blueberries & drizzle over the quark.
001.jpg

Hi Grace - enjoy your cassoulet and creme brulee - the cassoulet was amazing - the creme brulee was nice enough! It certainly looked the part, but you could tell it wasn't the real thing, but for 1 syn you cant grumble.

Sadly my thread doesn't really seemed to have taken off as well as I had hoped. I was going to go for another internationl cuisine for June but I am not sure I will bother...what do people think?

x

Awwwwwwwwww give it another go, I'm also disappointed at the lack of 'contestants' maybe we can try & spread the word:D

Awwwwwwwwww give it another go, I'm also disappointed at the lack of 'contestants' maybe we can try & spread the word:D

What a fantastic spread Michelle, well done. Question. How many people did the Coq serve? Those french pancakes look yummy too.

Ok, you have given me a boost. I am going to change the name now for June's challenge, and the country is.........?

What a fantastic spread Michelle, well done. Question. How many people did the Coq serve? Those french pancakes look yummy too.

Ok, you have given me a boost. I am going to change the name now for June's challenge, and the country is.........?

I made enough Coq au Vin to serve 2, but I think the recipe is for 4.

Hey Mexico should be a bigger challenge for me as OH doesn't like spicy foods, so it could be beans for starter & main:D

How did I miss this then!! I love food from different countries and am always trying to do SW vcersiosn ofthings. Though mexico will definitely be a bit difficult I reckon. Too many tortillas & wraps :) What are the rules please?

How did I miss this then!! I love food from different countries and am always trying to do SW vcersiosn ofthings. Though mexico will definitely be a bit difficult I reckon. Too many tortillas & wraps :) What are the rules please?

Hence the challenge, finding ways around the wraps/tortillas - remember you can use all syns and HEB/HEAs on this one three course meal.

As HH has said, there are no rules. The idea is that we can all better ourselves on our cooking and share these new ideas, some of them will work, some not - but to push ourselves onto new and exciting cuisines from different cultures. I don't want to become someone who eats the same old thing week in week out.

I love nothing better than trawling the Net for new recipes, its sad but it excites me. I am going to toddle off now and look at some Mehican recipes. I like the idea of street food, but like you say wrap are so syn heavy - its finding a solution to that..... mung beans wraps maybe??? I have never made them myself, but lots of people on here have. Its a possibility.

Good luck Kingleds = and well done on your weight loss to date as well!

xxx

Fanks :) Am glad I'm not the only one who has trawled the internet for recipes before now :). Will get my thinking cap on

I found a recipe on here for Jamie Oliver beef brisket chilli.... I have secured the beef, got topside as was better value in sainsburgers at the mo. Not very exciting but looks yum :)

Just got to source a starter or pud (won't do 3 courses)

Mexican Salsa

Ingredients

1 red onion
3 tomatoes (seeds removed)
Handful of fresh coriander
1 red chilli (more if you like it hot)
Lime juice
Salt & pepper

Chop everything very fine (if you blitz in a food processor, be careful as you don want it to go to mush)

Stir together and mix in the lime juice and seasoning.

Adjust the quantities (ie more/less chilli) depending how to you like it.

This is gorgeous and goes great with any grilled meat or fish

hendopig said:
I found a recipe on here for Jamie Oliver beef brisket chilli.... I have secured the beef, got topside as was better value in sainsburgers at the mo. Not very exciting but looks yum :)

Just got to source a starter or pud (won't do 3 courses)

Ooh that sounds amazing, my bf and i love a bit of brisket for a Sunday roast dinner, the joints are so expensive aren't they, but brisket done in a slow oven all day - oh lord! and so reasonably priced too.

I look forward to seeing what yours turns out like!
Xx

jezzi999 said:
It's not a three course meal but last night me and my husband had tacos.

Chilli -EL beef mince, tin of tomatoes, tin of kidney beans in chilli sauce, onion, courgette, chilli spices (free)
Cheese - 84g grated low fat cheese between us (our HexAs)
Salad -lettuce, cherry tomatoes, spring onions
Small portion of steamed white rice
Taco (3syns each)
Quark (in place of sour cream)

Hmm I love me some tacos, altho I could rarely stop at two! Sounds delish. Xx

jezzi999 said:
It's not a three course meal but last night me and my husband had tacos.

Chilli -EL beef mince, tin of tomatoes, tin of kidney beans in chilli sauce, onion, courgette, chilli spices (free)
Cheese - 84g grated low fat cheese between us (our HexAs)
Salad -lettuce, cherry tomatoes, spring onions
Small portion of steamed white rice
Taco (3syns each)
Quark (in place of sour cream)

Hmm sounds lovely, I am surprised tacos are only 3 syns. I am doubtful I could stop at 2 tacos!!!

Ok. I have my three courses organised and I will be making it all this Saturday and will include pics. I have decided on the following:

Starter:
Huevos Rancheros

Traditionally a breakfast but I thought this would make a lovely light starter. Served with Wholemeal Pitta

(0 syns and HEB)

Mains:
Chicken Nacho Grills
Mexican Potatoes
Fresh Salsa

(4.5 syns and HEA)

Desserts:
Frozen Pina Colada!
This is a bit of a trial as I am making it up as I go along. Alcohol will be present!

(3.5 syns)

Total syns - 8 plus HEA and HEB.

Wish me luck!!!!
X

Happy Holidays said:
:bliss::bliss::bliss:I'm so excited, we've had our main for tea tonight, I've got pics but forgot to get the pastry out of the freezer for desert, (oh errr too much info:rolleyes:) so desert will be later.

Tea was delish, hopefully I'll get to make desert & will post pics later, 'citing times:D

I likey, I am excited to see the foodage!!!

X

Back