• Pinch sweetner
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the tostadas

• 12 x 18-20cm/7-8in flour or corn tortillas, left whole, halved
  • or cut into wedges 6 syns each
  • Or for SW friendly make a very thin omelette
To serve

• lettuce, finely shredded
  • soured cream or fat free crème fraiche (I didn’t use you’ll need to check the syns)
  • cheddar cheese, grated – use hexa or syn
  • chopped fresh coriander leaves
  • lime wedges, for squeezing
Method

1. For the chicken, spray fry light into a frying pan on a low heat, add the chicken breasts and gently fry for about 8-10 minutes on each side, or until golden-brown and cooked through (the juices will run clear when the chicken is pierced in the thickest part with a skewer). Remove from the pan and set aside to cool slightly on a chopping board.
  2. Using a rolling pin, bash the chicken breasts to flatten them out. Shred the chicken into small pieces, allow to cool completely and then place into a bowl. Add the mayonnaise, and lime juice, season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground pepper and mix well together, mashing the chicken slightly to give the mixture a paste-like texture. Set aside.
  3. For the quick refried beans, cook the onions in fry light on a low heat, add the garlic, cover with a lid and gently fry for 6-8 minutes, or until softened and slightly golden-brown.
  4. Add the drained kidney beans and cook in the pan, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes until heated through. Using a potato masher or fork, mash the bean mixture in the pan, keeping it chunky and not too smooth. Add the stock and continue to cook gently for 4-5 minutes, uncovered, until the mixture is quite thick. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside. (You can serve at room temperature or reheat before serving, as you prefer.)
  5. For the tomato salsa, mix together all of the salsa ingredients and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover with cling film and chill in the fridge until needed.
  6. For the tostadas, warm in the oven. Or I made my own SW friendly tostadas, I beat one egg & cooked in a large frying pan, so the omelette was very thin.
  7. Serve everything on little plates or in bowls for people to help themselves. To assemble, spread some refried beans on the crisp tostada, scatter over some shredded lettuce and add some of the shredded chicken mixture, guacamole and tomato salsa. Top with some soured cream or fat free crème fraîche, a sprinkling of grated cheddar, chopped coriander and finally a squeeze of lime juice.
005.jpg
Okie dokie the reason there is no lettuce & creme fraiche there is I forgot to get it out of the fridge!!! The tomatoes were so yummy, I'll defiantely have those again. I'm surprised how easy it was to find something which wasn't too spicy.
[h=3]Sopapipilla Cheesecake Squares[/h]Ingredients:
2 packets 200grms light Philadelphia cream cheese softened (75grms = 1 hexa, or 2syns for 25grms)
1 cup sweetener
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Just Roll Puff Pastry – light 25grms = 4 syns or standard = 4.5 syns
¾ cup sweetener
1 egg, beaten
1.5 tsp Ground Cinnamon
Sweetener

Method

1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Lightly spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
  3. In medium bowl, mix cream cheese, 1 sweetener and vanilla; beat at medium speed with mixer for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until smooth.
  4. Unroll crescent dough; press perforations to seal. Using rolling pin, roll each dough piece into a 13 x 9 inch rectangle. Press 1 dough rectangle into bottom of prepared baking dish. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over dough in pan. Top with remaining dough rectangle.
  5. In a small bowl, stir together 3/4 cup sweetener, egg & cinnamon. Using a pastry brush, dot mixture evenly over top of dough.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes or until the crescent dough has puffed and turned golden brown. Let cool completely in pan on wire rack about 1 to 2 hours. Cut into squares to serve. Dust with powdered sweetener if desired. Serves 10 to 12

006.jpg

These were very nice, but I'd have served them with sliced apple, the cheese wasn't 'desert' enough for me, it was more like a cheese puff with cinnamon. DD said serve with strawberries, mmmmmm not too sure, but she's gone home with the rest of the cheesecake squares with some stawbs:D

I am going to give this a go this weekend. I love the recipe for refried beans and it a meal the gang will also enjoy, happy days!!

Chicken tostadas
Ingredients
For the chicken

• 600g skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 4tbls extra light mayonnaise – 4 syns
  • ½ lime, juice only
For the quick refried beans

• 1 large red onion, peeled and finely chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, peeled and very finely chopped
  • 1 x 400g/14oz tin kidney beans, drained, rinsed
  • 75ml chicken stock or vegetable stock
For the tomato salsa

• 450g ripe tomatoes (about 4), roughly chopped
  • 1 spring onion, trimmed and finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
  • 1-2 red or green chillies, seeds removed, finely chopped
  • 1 heaped tbsp roughly chopped fresh coriander
  • ½ lime, juice only
  • Pinch sweetner
For the tostadas

• 12 x 18-20cm/7-8in flour or corn tortillas, left whole, halved
  • or cut into wedges 6 syns each
  • Or for SW friendly make a very thin omelette
To serve

• lettuce, finely shredded
  • soured cream or fat free crème fraiche (I didn’t use you’ll need to check the syns)
  • cheddar cheese, grated – use hexa or syn
  • chopped fresh coriander leaves
  • lime wedges, for squeezing
Method

1. For the chicken, spray fry light into a frying pan on a low heat, add the chicken breasts and gently fry for about 8-10 minutes on each side, or until golden-brown and cooked through (the juices will run clear when the chicken is pierced in the thickest part with a skewer). Remove from the pan and set aside to cool slightly on a chopping board.
  2. Using a rolling pin, bash the chicken breasts to flatten them out. Shred the chicken into small pieces, allow to cool completely and then place into a bowl. Add the mayonnaise, and lime juice, season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground pepper and mix well together, mashing the chicken slightly to give the mixture a paste-like texture. Set aside.
  3. For the quick refried beans, cook the onions in fry light on a low heat, add the garlic, cover with a lid and gently fry for 6-8 minutes, or until softened and slightly golden-brown.
  4. Add the drained kidney beans and cook in the pan, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes until heated through. Using a potato masher or fork, mash the bean mixture in the pan, keeping it chunky and not too smooth. Add the stock and continue to cook gently for 4-5 minutes, uncovered, until the mixture is quite thick. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside. (You can serve at room temperature or reheat before serving, as you prefer.)
  5. For the tomato salsa, mix together all of the salsa ingredients and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover with cling film and chill in the fridge until needed.
  6. For the tostadas, warm in the oven. Or I made my own SW friendly tostadas, I beat one egg & cooked in a large frying pan, so the omelette was very thin.
  7. Serve everything on little plates or in bowls for people to help themselves. To assemble, spread some refried beans on the crisp tostada, scatter over some shredded lettuce and add some of the shredded chicken mixture, guacamole and tomato salsa. Top with some soured cream or fat free crème fraîche, a sprinkling of grated cheddar, chopped coriander and finally a squeeze of lime juice.
View attachment 51890
Okie dokie the reason there is no lettuce & creme fraiche there is I forgot to get it out of the fridge!!! The tomatoes were so yummy, I'll defiantely have those again. I'm surprised how easy it was to find something which wasn't too spicy.
Sopapipilla Cheesecake Squares

Ingredients:
2 packets 200grms light Philadelphia cream cheese softened (75grms = 1 hexa, or 2syns for 25grms)
1 cup sweetener
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Just Roll Puff Pastry – light 25grms = 4 syns or standard = 4.5 syns
¾ cup sweetener
1 egg, beaten
1.5 tsp Ground Cinnamon
Sweetener

Method

1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Lightly spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
  3. In medium bowl, mix cream cheese, 1 sweetener and vanilla; beat at medium speed with mixer for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until smooth.
  4. Unroll crescent dough; press perforations to seal. Using rolling pin, roll each dough piece into a 13 x 9 inch rectangle. Press 1 dough rectangle into bottom of prepared baking dish. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over dough in pan. Top with remaining dough rectangle.
  5. In a small bowl, stir together 3/4 cup sweetener, egg & cinnamon. Using a pastry brush, dot mixture evenly over top of dough.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes or until the crescent dough has puffed and turned golden brown. Let cool completely in pan on wire rack about 1 to 2 hours. Cut into squares to serve. Dust with powdered sweetener if desired. Serves 10 to 12

View attachment 51891

These were very nice, but I'd have served them with sliced apple, the cheese wasn't 'desert' enough for me, it was more like a cheese puff with cinnamon. DD said serve with strawberries, mmmmmm not too sure, but she's gone home with the rest of the cheesecake squares with some stawbs:D

Those refried beans look amazing Michelle - well done you! How many syns for all of it? I have to say I would have to use a real tortilla, or maybe spend the syns on a couple (or three!) tacos. Heavenly. The dessert sounds nice too, although I am more of a savoury girl, I was thinking you could probably make a lovely cheese and onion pasty out of that, for very little syns!

the only syns are in the mayo & the tortillas (6 each for small), I didn't use the creme fraiche, I did buy WW one to use, but just forgot about it. For the cheese thingys I worked out for the size I made there were 7 syns each, far too many for my liking, I could have two small glasses of wine for that!!!

I've just taken a look at my photo & it looks a little sparse, but I was full afterwards, the tomatoes were just for me, OH doesn't like them. In fact he is quite a fussy eater, :cool:

Honestly the whole meal was delish, I thoroughly enjoyed it. There are some refried beans left, OH wont eat them (he's funny like that), so I'm using them in a quorn chilli tomorrow:D

What a great idea, can I join too? :D

I have no plans next weekend so will plan a mexican themed night and will try and work out how to upload pics too.

Please join the party! I am doing a three courser on Saturday all for myself as Mick is away the weekend *she says barely able to contain her excitement of being alone in the flat!*

Try making it Happy - its really nice. My Mick wouldn't eat it, so I gave a portion to my mum and sis and I am having last last portion right now - so so good! You could make a variation of mets - its the beans that Mick wont eat, which is, unfortunately the main part of a cassoulet. Ah well, more for greedy me!!!!!

hey Charleybarley, just tried your recipe for the 1 syn creme brulee... OMG nom nom nom, so yummy, almost forgot its low fat haha
Thanks hun for the fab idea
x

I just found this thread, we had enchiladas tonight, no syns and a hex A of cheese. I used cooked lasagne sheets instead of the tortillas and they were really tasty. will try and post a pic later.

I just found this thread too, what a great idea.
I'd love to join but will probably only do mains, hope that's ok. Gutted I missed the French one, I love French food. Not so keen on Mexican but will toddle off and find a receipe I can adapt.
michelle x

Edit: found one, going to do Mexican chilli chicken minus the peppers (yuk, evil things!) adapted from BBC good food recipies, will post recipie if it's good!

Last edited:
SO MY MEXICAN MUNCH!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed this one, it took a bit of preparation, but if you are anything like me and love intricate chopping and love nothing better than spending hours in the kitchen with Heart on the Radio, then you, like me, are in your element!

STARTERS
Huevos Rancheros with hot WM pitta (HEB)
- Olive Oil (I omitted this, although you I know it would taste delish with it in, but I wanted to use my HEB for the pitta and I also needed the syns elsewhere in the meal)
- 1 onion, red pepper, garlic and chilli all finely chopped
- 1 heaped teaspoon of oregano (I prob used more as I measure spices with my eyes and tastebuds rather than with spoons)
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 1 egg
- Salt and Pepper

Frylite a frying pan and slowly cook the onion, pepper, chilli, garlic and oregano.
Add the toms and S&P then I transferred this into a pan as I dont have a lid for my frying pan. Cook this down for 10 mins or so on a low heat, add water if it dries a little.
Make a little well and crack an egg in the middle, cover with a lid and wait until egg is set (4 - 5 mins).
Lightly toast your pitta.
And serve. This will make two portions, so one egg each is required.

image-2688293549.jpg

This was lovely and syn free. The yolk running into the toms really really worked.

MAIN
Nacho Chicken Breast with HM Salsa and Mexican Potatoes.

POTATOES - SERVES 4 (1.5 syns per person)
- 800g potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 1 onion and 1 garlic, finely chopped
- 1-2 tsp chilli and paprika
- 2-3 tsp cumin

Boil potatoes for 5 mins.
Heat oil and slowly fry the onions and garlic until soft and then add the spices.
Drain the potatoes and add to the frying pan and shake until covered and cook another 10 mins.

SALSA
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 5 fresh tomatoes - peeled and seeded
- 1/4 tsp Splenda
- PLenty of finely chopped fresh coriander and parsley
- Good slug of red wine vinegar

Finely chop it all and toss together and season with S&P and the Splenda.

CHICKEN NACHO - SERVES 4 (HEA and 3 syns per person)
- 4 chicken breasts slashed three times across the top
- 40g tortilla crisps (10 syns divided by 4 = 2.5)
- Tub of Salsa (2 tbsps per breast = .5 syns)
- Greek Yog
- 170g LF cheese (grated)

Place 2 tbps salsa on each slashed chicken breast, then add the same in yogurt, then crunch 1/4 of the bag of tortilla crisps on each chicken then add the grated cheese.

Put in the oven on 180g for 30 mins.

image-2729167935.jpg

image-2091042516.jpg

image-830034010.jpg

image-268198557.jpg

DESSERTS
Frozen Pina Colada - Serves 2 (3 per person)

- 2 tubs of Muller Greek Yogurt with coconut (1)
- Juice and Zest of 1/2 lime
- Pineapple chunks
- 2 shots of white rum (5)
- 1-2 tsp splenda

Mix it all together and put in a tub in the freezer, keep stirring it throughout the freezing time.

image-109381698.jpg

image-22180566.jpg

The entire meal was delicious, I thoroughly enjoyed it and it was just one HEB and HEA and total syns were 7.5 per person.

Made my version of Mexican chilli chicken which was lovely but I'd make a few more changes next time:
Ingredients:
Fry light
1 large onion
2 tsp each ground cumin and chilli powder (I only used one of chilli)
2 tins skinless plum tomatoes and 2 tins of water (next time I'd only use 1 tin)
1 chicken stock cube
8 chicken thighs, skin removed
200g chorizo (13 syns), skin removed and cut into small pieces
2 red peppers (evil things! I used an aubergine)
2 cans cannellini beans
Method:
Fry the onion until soft
Add spices and fry for a few seconds
Add tomatoes and water, stir! Bring to the boil.
Add chorizo and chicken, make sure chicken is under liquid, cover simmer for 20 mins
Add evil peppers, cover and simmer for 20 mins
Stir in beans and warm through.
Serve with rice or jacket.

This serves at least 4 and has 13 syns on extra easy for the whole dish, well worth it in my opinion.
I'd never have made this were it not for this thread so thanks loads!
Ps the picture doesn't look fantastic, mainly because there's too much liquid which is why I'd add less water next time.

Attachments

• 361047556.568110.jpg
    361047556.568110.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
michmick said:
Made my version of Mexican chilli chicken which was lovely but I'd make a few more changes next time:
Ingredients:
Fry light
1 large onion
2 tsp each ground cumin and chilli powder (I only used one of chilli)
2 tins skinless plum tomatoes and 2 tins of water (next time I'd only use 1 tin)
1 chicken stock cube
8 chicken thighs, skin removed
200g chorizo (13 syns), skin removed and cut into small pieces
2 red peppers (evil things! I used an aubergine)
2 cans cannellini beans
Method:
Fry the onion until soft
Add spices and fry for a few seconds
Add tomatoes and water, stir! Bring to the boil.
Add chorizo and chicken, make sure chicken is under liquid, cover simmer for 20 mins
Add evil peppers, cover and simmer for 20 mins
Stir in beans and warm through.
Serve with rice or jacket.

This serves at least 4 and has 13 syns on extra easy for the whole dish, well worth it in my opinion.
I'd never have made this were it not for this thread so thanks loads!
Ps the picture doesn't look fantastic, mainly because there's too much liquid which is why I'd add less water next time.

Oh wow, this looks absolutely amazing! Well done! I am defo going to give this a go, I love anything that requires Chicken thighs and chorizo and cheese!! Happy days.

Pete’s Pork Mexicana

Here is my contribution for the Mexican themed month's food!

Pete’s Pork Mexicana

Serves 2

Ingredients

1 Onion, cut into quarters (s) (sff)
1 Large chilli, deseeded & finely chopped (s) (sff)
1tsp sweet chilli sauce (0.5syn/2=0.25syn per person)
*1tsp cornflour, mixed with 3tbsp water (1.0syn/2=0.5syn each person)
1tbsp “Sea salt from Cornwall with mixed peppers” (Sainsbury’s)
2 Pork Loin Steaks (ff)
2 Garlic Cloves (sff)
2 Sweet peppers, finely sliced (s) (sff)
2tbsp Cider Vinegar
3 Tomato’s roughly cut into chunks (s) (sff)
150g long grained rice, cooked as per packet instructions (ff)
300ml stock using a Knorr “herb” stockpot
Salt & Cayenne Pepper to taste

Method

In a food processor chop the onion & garlic to a paste.
Season the pork with the salt & pepper mix, cook on the grill until both sides are lightly browned, then removed from the pan and set aside.
In the pan cook the tomatoes, peppers, chillies, onion paste & stock, bring to the boil, season with sweet chilli sauce, cider vinegar, salt & cayenne pepper, *if you want the sauce thicker add the cornflour now. Then reduce the heat to a simmer, return the meat to the pan, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
Serve on a bed of rice
Pork Mexicana-3 (Small).JPG

I have my mexican night all planned out, just need to get to pay day so I can get the funds for it :)

Starter: Sweetcorn Cakes with homemade salsa and tortilla chips (the ones made from lasagne as even my consultants says its okay as part of a meal
Main: Mexican Chilli Chicken with Spicy Rice, Potatoes and Salad
Desert: Mexica Style rice pudding (using my HEA)

Will post recipes & pics when I make it

kingleds said:
I have my mexican night all planned out, just need to get to pay day so I can get the funds for it :)

Starter: Sweetcorn Cakes with homemade salsa and tortilla chips (the ones made from lasagne as even my consultants says its okay as part of a meal
Main: Mexican Chilli Chicken with Spicy Rice, Potatoes and Salad
Desert: Mexica Style rice pudding (using my HEA)

Will post recipes & pics when I make it

Hhmm I love sweetcorn but never thought to make cakes with it. I can't wait to see what they some out like. And the dessert, I made a non-SW friendly (more enemy!) Tres Leche cake. It was so calorific, mainly just sponge cake soaked in milk and cream and condensed milk!

Good luck!!!

laura2481 said:
Sounds interesting. What is mexican style rice pudding, please? :)

Well there are people who say its originally a Mexican dish anyway. But it's basically got raisins & cinnamon in it, and is usually made with condensed milk.

Back