Challenge: Foods of the world...JULY = BRAZIL

Saturday Mexican Night

I'm afraid this is just a two course menu, I did plan a 3 course finishing with pineapple with lime and chilli drizzle but we were stuffed by the end of the main and a bit sozzled too which also explains the dodgy pics :S

Starter - Stuffed Jalapenos with salad. Stuffing was quark, cumin, coriander, onion, smoked garlic and bacon mixture topped with HEA cheese and Breadcrumbs (1.5 syn)

Main - Roast pork carnitas style (roasted pork with cumin, orange rind and onion) served with wholemeal pitta (HEB) Chipolte salsa and salad

Will try harder next time!!!

Attachments

• 12-EEE68F39-701787-800.jpg
    12-EEE68F39-701787-800.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 12-198FB6C0-814615-800.jpg
    12-198FB6C0-814615-800.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 12-4CC11962-669305-800.jpg
    12-4CC11962-669305-800.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 12-17DADE21-665521-800.jpg
    12-17DADE21-665521-800.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 74
Saturday Mexican Night

I'm afraid this is just a two course menu, I did plan a 3 course finishing with pineapple with lime and chilli drizzle but we were stuffed by the end of the main and a bit sozzled too which also explains the dodgy pics :S

Starter - Stuffed Jalapenos with salad. Stuffing was quark, cumin, coriander, onion, smoked garlic and bacon mixture topped with HEA cheese and Breadcrumbs (1.5 syn)

Main - Roast pork carnitas style (roasted pork with cumin, orange rind and onion) served with wholemeal pitta (HEB) Chipolte salsa and salad

Will try harder next time!!!

That looks fantastic Vickie, what were the jalepenos like? They look great! Which chillis did you use?

That looks fantastic Vickie, what were the jalepenos like? They look great!

The jalapenos were fab, definitely one to go on the 'do again' list, there were another two that aren't in the pics, they jumped down my gob before I could get the camera ready, I could have eaten a full plate of them :D

Which chillis did you use?

Erm which meal Charley? If you mean the starter the clue's in the title ;) I used jalapenos and scraped out the seeds and membranes and stuffed em. The salsa had chilli in too but it was the Trees Can't Dance Smoky Chipotle paste - which is great BTW I have used this in a few recipes now

Looking forward to next months challenge

The jalapenos were fab, definitely one to go on the 'do again' list, there were another two that aren't in the pics, they jumped down my gob before I could get the camera ready, I could have eaten a full plate of them :D

Erm which meal Charley? If you mean the starter the clue's in the title ;) I used jalapenos and scraped out the seeds and membranes and stuffed em. The salsa had chilli in too but it was the Trees Can't Dance Smoky Chipotle paste - which is great BTW I have used this in a few recipes now

Looking forward to next months challenge

Dur! Ask a silly question! I just haven't seen fresh actual jalepeno peppers - where did you get them? They sound totally up my alley - were they really hot? I have never heard of that Chipotle paste, in fact I have never bought chipotle paste before, I say its about time I did!

Thanks love x

Charleybarley
hi can you tell me what brand/type of salsa you used in the nacho chicken and also the potatoes what is evoo?
Xx

Dur! Ask a silly question! I just haven't seen fresh actual jalepeno peppers - where did you get them? They sound totally up my alley - were they really hot? I have never heard of that Chipotle paste, in fact I have never bought chipotle paste before, I say its about time I did!

Thanks love x

I got them from Morrisons but they sell them in Booths* too, they are only smallish (that's a side plate btw) but big enough to get a heaped tsp of filling inside once scraped out. I love spicy food, and they were just right for me, hot enough for a little challenge but not too hot to blow your head off

* edited to say that as your 'darn sarf' you probably won't have a Booths but it's a bit like Waitrose. I love the place but sometumes wish we didn't have one here as it's partially responsible for my weight gain and empty pockets!

Charleybarley
hi can you tell me what brand/type of salsa you used in the nacho chicken and also the potatoes what is evoo?
Xx

Hi Hazebabes, I used asda's own brand of salsa in the glass jars by the crisp section - this salsa is pretty low at 0.5 syns per tbsp. It really kept the chicken moist and gave it a lovely flavour.

EVOO is Extra Virgin Olive Oil abbreviated! I had the same problem when I joined minimins, I often wondered what EVOO was - then it came to me one evening!

I got them from Morrisons but they sell them in Booths* too, they are only smallish (that's a side plate btw) but big enough to get a heaped tsp of filling inside once scraped out. I love spicy food, and they were just right for me, hot enough for a little challenge but not too hot to blow your head off

* edited to say that as your 'darn sarf' you probably won't have a Booths but it's a bit like Waitrose. I love the place but sometumes wish we didn't have one here as it's partially responsible for my weight gain and empty pockets!

I thought for a second you were saying that your Morrisons had booths as well as weird and wonderful ethnic veggies!! Yes, darn sarf we dont have Booths, and going by what you say about it, I am glad we don't. We do have a Waitrose but not very near me thankfully - I would probably be housebound if it were!

Well people, another month, another cuisine - so
July's country is Brazil - never been but would love to see it.

A challenge most definitely, but let's see what we can come up with, anyone who hasnt joined in up to now is invited to try.

The rules are simple, two or three courses all within 15 syns and can include your HEBs and HEAs.

I will get my thinking cap on.

X

Tough one - it's all smoked and fatty meats cooked up with beans and sides with oil and butter ... oh, they make the most amazing desserts - loads of desserts. Or BBQ - but then it's just like any other BBQ food - plus I don't like fish or seafood - which would make SW style food. stumped for now.

All I can come up with is cassava chips. I love oxtails Brazilian style but they are rather fatty - will have to check the syns out.

Oh are free if cooked without fat but it tends to be marbled. Think I would cook them
(pressure cooker maybe) and then strained, left over night in fridge and then removed any visible fat.
Maybe it would be easier to just a cheap lean cut of beef - will keep thinking this over and try and come up with something.

Last edited:
jezzi999 said:
We have eaten out before at a Brazilian BBQ. There was a salad bar and hot side counter, so you get that yourself, and then a guy comes round with various meats on little spits and brings them to your table.

You get a little tag that's green on one side and red on the other. You leave it green side up until you're full, then turn it to red. If you sit for a bit and then feel hungry you turn it back to green.

Maybe there's a SW adaptation of that possible?!

Jez, are you talking about Rodizio Rico??? Of so, that place was like visiting heaven for me!! All that salad and pasta and all the amazing meats you can eat!!!! We went to the place in Angel in London. So great!!

Does this one count?
Brazilian Mushrooms.

Pete’s Brazilian Mushrooms

Serves 2

Ingredients

½ lime juice (ss) (sff)
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp coriander
½ tsp dried chilli flakes
½ tsp mixed spice
1 garlic clove , passed through a garlic press (sff)
1Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (1x Heb)
150g button mushrooms (s) (sff)

Method

Add all the ingredients into a large glass bowl, mix together, add the mushrooms and marinate for at least 10 mins.
Tip into a small saucepan and cook until the mushrooms are going coloured, mixing all the time. Serve as a starter or as a main meal with other ingredients.

Brazilian Mushrooms (Small).JPG

Oh dear! Did this thread just completely stop, or has it been relocated somewhere? I think it's a brilliant idea, and I'd have loved to join in! x

I didn't find anything for Brazil, I must admit I didn't look THAT hard but after a few I got a bit out off!
maybe we should start a new country challenge for the rest of Aug and Sept?

Back