Charleybarley tries again - Jan 2013

Ok so the weekend was a little on the "nothing went to plan" side.

Friday night was great, I stuck to my plans and had a kebab and a bottle of wine. My friends new boyfriend (whose place we went to) has two dogs. Now I am allergic to dogs but I was pre-warned and having run out of my usual tablets, I went and got some boots own brand and popped one before we left the house. Fine. We had a lovely evening, although on the way back home I started to feel very woozy - I know I had had a bottle of wine, but I felt much more drunk than I should have, almost like I had been drugged. We got home and checked the packet of tabs and yes, you guessed it, they clearly stated "do not drink alcohol" on the back! I am usually fine with my others. So I told Mick I should stay up a while and drink lots of water - I promptly passed out on the sofa! Thankfully no harm done, although I woke with a monster hangover and also terrible symptoms of my allergy, apparently these tablets stop the allergy at the time but once they begin to wear off, they just bring out the allergies held over from the night before. So not only did I have a hangover, I also had itchy eyes, constant sneezing, itchy throat and a runny nose...oh and period pains! :giveup:Needless to say we never did any decorating on Saturday! We went shopping and I ate the following:

B - Nada
L - Chorizo (3) and Sausage (.5) Pasta with Olives (1.5) - which was delightful - I made enough for two helpings, but decided to eat the lot it was so nice. I have been buying fresh herbs and so I had lots of basil, greek basil and parsley in it.
D - Bacon Cheese Burger and Chips with salad (5) for sauces

Half a bottle of wine (12)

So Saturday was 22 syns - NOT GOOD! :wave_cry:

Sunday I woke up feeling better and decided to walk the 3 mile round trip to Sainsburys. I was making a Bavarian Beef and Ale Stew which I intended to SW-ise and make relatively low syn. The recipe called for large cheesey/thymey/mustardy croutons by way of diagonally sliced baguette - I decided to use WW petit pains - hence the walk to Sainsburys. I got all the way there to find that they don't stock WW petit pains at my Sainsburys! I was slightly annoyed to say the least so instead got a small baguette - really I should have not bothered with the baguette at all, because the croutons totally did not work with the stew, and I left half of the croutons. I ended up not eating much because I got home, got a hot shower (it p!ssed down on the return leg of my Sainsbury's pilgrimage!) and then started preparing Sunday's tea and also today's tea (Christmas Dinner Stew, which required me slow cooking a turkey leg and also boiling up a gammon joint). So food for Sunday:

B&L - Whilst cooking, two cold BGTY sausages (1), some titbits of gammon joint and turkey leg, half a water melon

D - Bavarian Beef and Ale Stew - the syns were a lot higher than anticipated and to be honest, I didn't think it worked at all. I will not be making it again. (10) approximate syns wasted.

The other half bottle of wine (12)

Dessert - Half a tub of 2% greek yog (1) and options white choc (2) and 2 apples.

So Sunday's syns - 26 syns - SOOOO BAD:beam:

So, with the fact that I had on Friday roughly adding up to 44.5 thats a massive 92.5 syns in three days - which in theory leaves me with 12.5 syns for Mon - Thurs!!!!!! :break_diet:

I have the rest of the Bavarian Bolloxing Stew to eat for lunch today as I will not waste food. So minus the gross crouton thats 5 syns! Thats 7.5 syns left - oh buggar!

Last edited:
Monday 24th September

So after the annoying weekend's activities. I continue with great gusto - onwards and downwards. I have decided that one cannot/will not live Monday to Thursday on only 12.5syns - I am going to give this weekend up as a bad job, realising that almost 50 syns was wine - I should really deal with that. Its fine if you keep your syns low, so I need to plan better in future.

B - Alpen Golden Crunch and Milk (HEB and HEA) - these were nice, you don't get much for 30g though

L - Bavarian Bolloxing Stew (5)

D - Christmas Dinner Stew (5) for Stuffing Balls

Snacks - Grapes, apple, Greek Yog (1) and Options (2)

Syns for today: 13 - not great seeing as I went totally over at the weekend!

Water intake: 2 litres

Exercise: Nothing

Last edited:
Tuesday 25th September

Well yesterday I was 100% but given the fact that the weekend went t!ts up I think I need to be 120% this week! So with that in mind I am aiming for low syns:

B - toast (HEB), ham and 1 egg (2) for butter

L - Chicken Salad (1) for olives (1) for dressing

D - Spaghetti - now I am not sure which spaghetti to go for - I have three in mind: 1) Spag Carbonara (my fave I havent had this for yonks) will require HEA and 2.5 syns; 2) Spaghetti Puttanesca this will require 1 syn for olives and 1.5 for 28g of anchovies, so 2.5; plus HEA of parmesan or 3) Spaghetti with chorizo, sausage and olive - which will be 2.5 for the chorizo, .5 for the sausage and 1 for the olives - plus HEA for the parmesan. What to do, what to do...... I will eliminate option 3 immediately as there is 1.5 more syns involved there.....

EDIT: We ended up having a Nandos (1/2 chicken with spicy rice and two slices of halloumi (HEA TWEAK ;)) with tomatoe and onion salad). Mick's pay day and he wanted to treat me plus we had a free 1/2 chicken on our loyalty (hey big spender!) - so its 2.5 for the spicy rice and I had a couple of tbps of piri piri (1) and lemon & herb and a dressing, so I will call it a 7 syn jobby, not great syn wise, but it was delicious and a nice treat.

Snacks - 1/4 watermelon, fig, apple.

Syns for today: 11

Water intake - 2 litres

Exercise - Interval training this morning.

Last edited:
I also pledge to take more pics of my food as it brightens up my food diary. We like to eat with our eyes too don't we?!

Helloooooo!!! Finally got round to dropping a line. I was so discouraged after losing all that I wrote the first time around lol. I'm just saying a quick hello to sub but I will be back for a proper chat so put the kettle on! :D

Wednesday 26th September

Well I was up nice and early this morning, preparing my veg for tonight's meal - Yuk Sang, this is Pete's version with a few adaptations of my own thrown in. To save time tonight (I don't usually get in until just before 7pm) I have finely chopped garlic, chilli, carrots, yellow and orange pepper, mushrooms, red onion, spring onion and ginger! And, as I promised to myself I am back photographing, so here is the fruit of my 7am labour:

photo.JPG

B - 2 LMc Saus (one red onion and rosemary, one regular (.5)) plus a boiled egg and bread with laff cow light (1)

L - Chicken and Pasta Salad (2) for chilli sauce

D - Yuk Sang (5) served with leftover curry gravy from last weeks pork curry (free)

This so was lovely I forgot to take a pic until I was almost finished! I used too much sesame oil (1.5 tbsps for three big portions), I never used it to fry the veg (fry light) but I used it as a seasoning before serving, it didn't need that much. I know for next time.

image-1135008827.jpg

Snacks - Banana, punnet of black grapes
EDIT: I polished off some real turkish delight that my mum bought me back from yes, you guessed it, Turkey! So naughty, but it's gone now.

Syns today - ???

Water intake - 2 litres

Exercise - none

Last edited:
Charleybarley said:
Wednesday 26th September

Well I was up nice and early this morning, preparing my veg for tonight's meal - Yuk Sang, this is Pete's version with a few adaptations of my own thrown in. To save time tonight (I don't usually get in until just before 7pm) I have finely chopped garlic, chilli, carrots, yellow and orange pepper, mushrooms, red onion, spring onion and ginger! And, as I promised to myself I am back photographing, so here is the fruit of my 7am labour:

image-3805786550.jpg

B - 2 LMc Saus (one red onion and rosemary, one regular (.5)) plus a boiled egg and bread with laff cow light (1)

L - Chicken and Pasta Salad (2) for chilli sauce

D - Yuk Sang (5)

Snacks - Banana, punnet of black grapes

Syns today - 8.5

Water intake - 2 litres

Exercise - none

I feel really positive this week!

Thursday 27th September

Well I am not feeling confident about tomorrows weigh in. I have been good, but not 100%. I am hoping for 2lb but will be grateful for anything I get.

So food today:

B - 2x boiled eggs

L - Leftover Yuk Sang (2) with (part HEB) for oil

D - Spaghetti Puttanesca.

EDIT: Change of plan, I had Spag Carbonara instead (HEA) plus (4) for chorizo Served with side salad (2) for dressing and (1) for olives

image-3989522624.jpg

image-318841964.jpg

image-348150499.jpg

Deeeeelish.

Snacks - watermelon, banana, 1 percy pig (1.5) - I love them but so not worth the syns!

Water intake - 2 litres

Syns planned - 10.5

Exercise - none

I am making a caponata tonight. This is for a little gathering me and the girls at work are having Friday after work. We are all brining something. My caponata will be relatively good except it will be made with evoo. I am also bringing WM pitta. But there will be prosecco present and other goodies. Lets see how restrained I can be!

Last edited:
Food looking very yum Charkeybarley!!! Gosh all that fine chopping at 7am...!

Good luck for WI! I'm sure you'll do great!

Food looking very yum Charkeybarley!!! Gosh all that fine chopping at 7am...!

Good luck for WI! I'm sure you'll do great!

Thanks Honey!

Friday 28th September - WEIGH IN DAY :scale:

Well it was an almighty ... 1lb! I was a little disappointed until I realised that after the non 100% weekend and the fact that it was TOTM - so not so bad really. We had a Macmillans Coffee Morning at work today, which I organised and I did not touch one single bit of food (I may have licked my fingers a couple of times over some buttercream that stayed on the box, but other than that - nada!) I am really proud of myself and also really proud that we raised a fantastic £243 for the charity, here are a couple of pics:

SAM_0830.jpg SAM_0832.jpg

So food today:

B - Porridge with skimmed milk (HEA and HEB) with some fruit compote (very tiny amount would say 1.5 at the most)

L - Pasta Arrabiata and some salad - this was from my work canteen and was pretty oily so I will say (6) which is generous as I also had a smattering of coleslaw.

D - This is a toughy, I am going to try to resist the food and nibbles for tonight (girls night) but I will have a few drinky poos. I may save myself and perhaps get a takeaway later - Mick said he will walk to the station so I don't have to walk home on my own (ahhh) and we may pick up a takeaway - I will probably have fish (no batter) and small chips. I don't know what that amounts to but I solomnly swear to be good for the rest of this week!

SYNS - Dunno, probs catastrophic!

Water - no 2 litres today :eek:

Exercise - does running around serving coffee all morning count? No? I didn't think so.

Tomorrow will be a better day, although I have another hurdle which is a family party. I am going to drive to stop any drinking from happening. I am going to eat tea really early so as not to nibble on buffet food as I can't be trusted at a buffet table!

Saturday 29th September

I am going to try to gauge what I am going to be eating, although historically I never do what I plan. But quitters never win and winners never quit!

B - Bacon Sandwich (HEB)+(3) for spread and ketchup

L - Fruit (planning an early dinner)

D - Thai Salmon Curry with rice and stir fry (part HEA) + (1) for Thai Paste

EDIT: So so naughty today - I can't begin to tell you, but involved far too many carbs booze and general sh!te!!

TODAY IS OFFICIALLY WRITTEN OFF!!

Last edited:
Sunday 30th September

B&L - Fry up (HEB) + (6) for extra toast + (3) for spread and (2) for ketchup and (2) for sausages.

So 13 so far!!!!

Dinner - Roast Chicken Dinner (4) for gravy.

THIS WEEKEND IS GOING HORRIBLY PEAR SHAPED. Damage control is needed for this week. I am thinking 5 syns a day for the rest of the week.

Last edited:
Hi Charleybarey, finally managed to drop you a line. I have seen you around on a couple of otehr diaries and have read yours in the past. Love pictures of your food and your attitude. Hope you do not mind me droping in.

Rosielea said:
Hi Charleybarey, finally managed to drop you a line. I have seen you around on a couple of otehr diaries and have read yours in the past. Love pictures of your food and your attitude. Hope you do not mind me droping in.

Hello Rosie
Thanks for stopping by I love visitors! I have seen you about too, I am on my iPhone at the moment but will be hunting down your FD when I am on my computer next.

How is your journey going so far?

X

Monday 1st October (OCTOBER!!!)

Good morning everyone, I hope you all had fun weekends. Mine was good, but I was naughty on Friday night and Saturday, not naughty like days gone by, but definitely bad, I need to give myself a harsh talking to:copon: because I need to start losing weight, not maintaining, which I am brilliant at - Queen of Maintenance :queen:!

So with the weekend's food infidelities in mind I am going to try and keep my syns at 5 or under for the next 5 days and I am going to do some form of exercise everyday this week.

B - 3 BGTY sausages (1.5) in a sandwich (HEB) with yummy freshly made spicy onion marmalade

L - Pesto Pasta (1)* and chicken salad (1) for salad cream

image-3804822405.jpg

image-4249511971.jpg

D - Spag Bol (HEA) for parmesan and balsamic tomato and onion salad to go on top of bol (hhmmm, just the way I like it)

image-4065073544.jpg

image-2579275981.jpg

Snacks - Grapes, apple, 2x oranges, garlic crispbread (Aldis - amazing) (2)

Water intake - 2 litres

Syns planned - 5.5

Exercise planned - Nothing in the end.

* this pesto I made at the weekend, this is an adaptation of a Nigella recipe. I used fresh watercress, fresh herbs - basil, greek basil and parsley, 1 red chilli, 1 clove of garlic, a handful of piccolo tomatoes, 1 tbsp of EVOO, 1 syn's worth of anchovies and a few tbsps of pasta water. BLITZED. It doesn't look appealing in the jar, but that little lot came to 7 syns and there are probably 7 tbsp worth there, so per 100g of pasta I used 1 tbsp of pesto which is 1 syn. I hope it is nice, I will let you know.

EDIT: The pesto was really nice!

Last edited:
Oh and I found a delicious new coffee which have hazelnut and caramel flavours to them. They are really tasty, especially for people like me who don't tale sugar in their coffee and find those syrups too sweet. Nice...

image-2022271120.jpg

Oh and I found a delicious new coffee which have hazelnut and caramel flavours to them. They are really tasty, especially for people like me who don't tale sugar in their coffee and find those syrups too sweet. Nice...

Thank you. I am one of those people who like a bit of flavour to my tea & coffee without the sweetners/syrups. I remember year ago all supermarkets used to have flavoured coffee but for some reason went out of fashion.

Tuesday 2nd October

Well I was 100% good yesterday. And today I am hoping for the same thing.

B - 2 LMc Sausages (1) + beans on toast (1.5) for butter

L - The same as yesterday (1) for pesto and (1) for salad cream

D - Christmas Dinner Stew (FREE). Stuffing balls (3)

Water intake - 2 litres

Exercise - internal training this morning.

Syns planned - 7.5 (I know I said I was only going for 5 syns a day but I gotta have me se stuffing balls on me stew...!

Last edited:
Hiya

What is Christmas Dinner Stew??!!! Sorry if you have already been asked this earlier in your diary! I've been away for a bit. Tx

Back