cheap and ww friendly!

Discussion in 'Weight Watchers' started by zimbobimbo, 8 October 2010 Social URL.

1. zimbobimbo

zimbobimbo Full Member

Hi all,

Just moved into a new house (yay) and need to be quite frugal with costs this month (boo).

Any hints and tips for low cost meal ideas that are ww friendly?

I am thinking jacket pots and pasta. Anyone recommend some good pasta sauces or other ideas?

Thanks v much :)

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. CLH_X3

CLH_X3 Gold Member

Start Weight:
    11st9.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1.5lb(9.48%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I dont know if you have an iceland by you but they do WW meals for £1 each ? or at the moment morrisons got the ww ready meals (chilled) so £1.18 instead 2.37

potato is 1point for 100g so thats a good option.

I also think i read *dont hold me to this* that sainsburys basic spag bol sauce was 4.5 points for half a jar and its like 34p **I THINK** :rolleyes:

Bran flakes are low and a cheap option for breakfast.

I cant think of anything else that I eat LOL

4. DopeyAngel

DopeyAngel Sweet wrapper fetishist.

Start Weight:
    14st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4lb(15.76%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    O pt soups made with cheap veg such as carrots, tinned tomatoes and a leek/courgette are good options. Mainly because you're adding plenty of stocks so you get lots more meals for your money.

Pasta sauces - try using frozen veg as that's loads cheaper. I often use frozen peppers, passata/tinned tomatoes, herbs/chilli and I also use Quorn sausages quite a bit. You get 8 for about £2 usually and I microwave and chop 1-2 up to add bulk to pasta dishes instead of meat. They're 1 pt each aswell so low pointage. Tinned tuna and sweetcorn are also good, cheapy options for either pasta or baked potatoes.

Try making stuff in batches, e.g. a huge thing of bolognese sauce which you freeze into portions. Bulk it out with plenty of veggies (carrots again are cheap!) and then you've got ready made meals - I use bolognese for pasta and jkt pots aswell.

Adding beans and/or lentils to stews can bulk them out very cheaply. Try to buy things that are in season at the mo as well - beetroot, pumpkin, BNS are all in season in Oct.

5. Hazykay

Hazykay Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st4.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st10.0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st11.5lb(17.29%)
    Diet:
    WW
    Sainsburys do bags of 20 frozen sausages for about £2.40. Great for bangers & mash or sausage casseroles adding carots, swede etc.

Pasta is cheap and cheerful, I make a carbonara type dish with a tub of extra light Philly(£1.40ish) and smoked turkey rashers (£2). Make a sauce by frying rashers, mushrooms and onions, adding cheese and stock pour onto spaghetti. I also make roasted veggies and put on top of pasta with passata. How bout making gnocchi? Potato and flour made into little dumplings.

Stir fries are great too, Tesco sell a large 500g bag of quorn chicken style pieces for £2, and you can make a tasty curry with it too.

Hope I've given you a few ideas x

6. xkatyannx

xkatyannx Member

Start Weight:
    11st1lb
    Current Weight:
    10st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st2lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(2.58%)
    sugar free jelly for a quick fix :)

7. CherrySummer

CherrySummer Silver Member

Start Weight:
    9st6.5lb
    Current Weight:
    9st6.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    stirfry is nice and cheap homemade soups!! and as someone said iceland do the ww meals for £1!! :D

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.