chew and spit

Bindi

Silver Member
Just after reading topic in mag about this new diet craze...basically you chew the food and get the taste then spit it out and dont gain weight....I know its a mad diet alright but would you do it while on tfr just for the taste, today Im dying for food for some reason (think its to do with totm), Im on my 3rd wk...

I used to do that for a while...a-chewin and a-spittin. It got quite addictive

dont think I would be able to do it, id have to eat it completely

I wouldn't risk it cos you swallow some with saliva etc, but thats a stooopid diet! I reckon its technical name is probably anorexia?!

You're probably feeling worse cos of totm but sometimes you have days like that anyway. Just drink loads and it will pass.

Fact for you I read somewhere (can't remember).... When you get hunger pangs if you ignore them they actually go away after about an hour. Also the brain can confuse hunger feelings with thirst so try drinking before you reach for the food (after re-feeding of course!)

I wouldn't risk it cos you swallow some with saliva etc, but thats a stooopid diet! I reckon its technical name is probably anorexia?!

You're probably feeling worse cos of totm but sometimes you have days like that anyway. Just drink loads and it will pass.

Fact for you I read somewhere (can't remember).... When you get hunger pangs if you ignore them they actually go away after about an hour. Also the brain can confuse hunger feelings with thirst so try drinking before you reach for the food (after re-feeding of course!)

Well my hunger pangs do go within the hour but then they come back 10 mins later!!!! Sorry just very hungry today.

I believe that this practise can potentially become very addictive and dangerous. Not to be attempted or encouraged it would appear.

The quantity and type of food that is chewed and spat out can vary, but it may draw some parallels with the amount and type of food a person with binge eating disorder or bulimia might crave and gorge themselves with.
The amount of food can be vast, and include types of foods that don’t necessarily go together in the conventional sense. Chewing and spitting can start off ‘innocently’ and infrequently, but then develop into a serious habit or [COLOR=#006600! important][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=#006600! important][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]addiction[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] that is hard to break.
So why do people chew and spit? This behaviour is not necessarily about food, but used as a coping mechanism for some form of [COLOR=#006600! important][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=#006600! important][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]psychological [/FONT][COLOR=#006600! important][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]stress[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] that is unrelated to food.
Someone may also discover it as a way of eating and getting satisfaction from the taste of the food they are eating without worrying about the number of calories they are consuming, or to avoid putting themselves through the distress of self-induced [COLOR=#006600! important][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=#006600! important][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]vomiting[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] that takes place with bulimia and in some cases of anorexia.
On the surface, chewing and spitting may not seem like a very harmful thing to do, but it is linked to food deprivation as the type of food being spat out is rarely actually eaten. Although cravings for it can be strong, the food spat out is considered ‘bad’. Chewing and spitting can also invoke a sense of waste and guilt about the food that is quite literally being wasted.
Chewing and spitting out sugary foods can still do damage to teeth, perhaps even more so, as the quantities of sugar ending up in the mouth are larger than if food was actually swallowed and eaten properly.
There’s nothing good about depriving [COLOR=#006600! important][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=#006600! important][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]your [/FONT][COLOR=#006600! important][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]body[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] of the food it needs. Food that ends up in the mouth should be swallowed. Rather than chewing and spitting out certain types of foods, it’s better to actually eat them in moderation.
In order to break the habit of chewing and spitting, it is advisable to seek help from a trained professional who has experience of treating eating disorders such as anorexia and [COLOR=#006600! important][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=#006600! important][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]bulimia[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR].

Sounds awful to me! x

Hi Bev,

Very informative post, and I think, and hope, it would stop most people from doing it.

Does anyone remember the sex and the city episode about that??
Nah I'd need to eat it completely!
xxx

I thought was going to be about an entirely different subject ;)

Me & my filthy mind eh.... :D

Good girls never spit lol

LOL filth!! x

Stupid so called diet, stupid idea, this diet is hard core enough without doing such things.
If people want to eat, try and over come it or do a different diet....... And what women do you go with that chew, you havent been down at the farm yard again have ya? lol

thats nearly as bad as diet water!!

Just after reading topic in mag about this new diet craze...basically you chew the food and get the taste then spit it out and dont gain weight....I know its a mad diet alright but would you do it while on tfr just for the taste, today Im dying for food for some reason (think its to do with totm), Im on my 3rd wk...
Bindi...please don't do it...this is how eating disorders start ...and you can also still get calories etc from the food and end up gaining weight xx stick to LT and you will be laughing!

you have no worries there nic, i have no intention of doing it, i would have to eat it completely and that would be cheating...

Back