Clarification pls,, can you save Syns?

Rissole76

Just want to clarify if you can or are allowed to save syns for eg takeaway on the weekend? I used to with green days but not sure weather I was supposed to or not?
Thanks

My consultant says you can - So i do save up my syns for the weekend sometimes :)

I think sometimes you have to. If you are going for a night out you should still be able to enjoy yourself and if you have been good all week and not had any syns have them at the weekend. Once we are no longer "dieting" as such this will be how I will try to maintain my lifestyle. I'm not going to say no to a night out with the girls, the reason I'm losing weight is so I look good on those nights out!

yep your allowed to save your syns for treats like this as long as its not every week then you are fine to do so :)

I have always been told that you can't save all your syns up but if you know you have a night out you can flexey syns you should make every thing you eat super free for that day and then enjoy your evening out with out guilt xxx

Ok this is copied straight off the sw website as of 2 seconds ago:

"At Slimming World we don't recommend that you save all your Syns up for the week, just so you can have a few drinks on a Saturday night. Depriving yourself throughout that week is like putting yourself in a tight corset. Before Saturday night arrives, that corset could well have been flung off, and your eating plan been pushed aside for the week…then the month… then the year.

Food Optimising means that you can allow yourself a flexible Syn day once in a while, and not have to save up Syns beforehand, or deprive yourself afterwards.

eg You’ve arranged to go out for a Chinese with some friends on Saturday night."

But this is how I see it - my WI is thursday so I tend to use majority of my syns fri/sat/sun on wine/chocolate and then I have less syns on mon-thu. This has worked for me in the past however I find myself running out at the moment. Most consultants have their own opinions too, and some will say that you can save and still loose however it is not following the plan 100%. The website says what my consultant says - dont deprive yourself throughout the week as this makes it a DIET!

If you wanted 40 syns on a saturday and then 5 for the rest of the week then I suppose technically you will still loose the weight however imo SW states this is NOT what you should do. Feel free to disagree with me but that is copied straight off the website...

They don't actually say that you can't do it, they say that they don't recommend it incase you feel deprived the rest of the week. That's very different to saying that you mustn't do it.
Until recently they said that it was fine as long as you didn't feel deprived the rest of the week,so it's expressed slightly differently, but the message is the same.

I always have most syns at the weekend (not for alcohol before someone mentions binge drinking).

This is what the website said about this until a few weeks ago
Q: Can I save up my Syns for the weekend?

A: Yes, if you want to, some people like to do this. Do consider though, whether you really will be happy depriving yourself for most of the week. You may prefer to be flexible with your Syns and increase your Syn allowance for a night out or a special occasion

Last edited:
I'm going out for dinner tonight, I had 'planned' this in to my week so that:

From wed until today I used no more than 5 syns per day (achieved - used only 2)

Allowing 25 syns tonight, although have planned food through website and think I will only use 18 - but accounting for sauces etc (which I always seem to forget) and then will continue with 5 - 10 syns for the rest of the week until weigh in, is this okay/acceptable on the plan? x

It is up to the individual basically - SW don't recommend it as per the first quotation above. But there are no SW police to come knocking at your door so if you want to, then go ahead.

Saturday night is always a norty food night for us, so instead of being a sad little salad nibbler in the corner I am going to use and extra 15 syns so I can enjoy a pizza........ (Chigago Town thin crust small, 11 syns ea, with a huge green salad of course) then dessert will be a Syn free yogurt pot with a small bag of buttons & i will save my hexb option too so I can sprinkle the cereal bar through the yogurt. This little treat once a week makes me feel that I am not depriving myself of the norty food.

I will deduct the extra syns I use off next weeks qouta, I will do three days of 10 syns rather than 15 syns.

I work best when I count down on syns, start at 105 and count down daily. I tend to find I use more at the end of the week and weekend and then not so many at the beginning of the week so it works for me.
With the point of 'saving' syns, I think if you can manage to go days with less syns, then why not have the extra when you want them. My opinion is that you are more likely to stick to plan if you can let go once in a while :D

I think I may try it at times when i'm planning a meal out somewhere, i've been a bit scared of totting up my total syns for the week and knockin em off as I use them because I have very little self control and would probably find myself scoffin the lot in one hit then feel like I can't get to the end of the week without extras. I have found tho as I get more used to the plans the compulsion to binge is not so bad so maybe this will work for me on occasion now. It's interesting to see both camps points of view.

wooly said:
I think I may try it at times when i'm planning a meal out somewhere, i've been a bit scared of totting up my total syns for the week and knockin em off as I use them because I have very little self control and would probably find myself scoffin the lot in one hit then feel like I can't get to the end of the week without extras. I have found tho as I get more used to the plans the compulsion to binge is not so bad so maybe this will work for me on occasion now. It's interesting to see both camps points of view.

I agree with u. If I had them all to use I prob would. Daily is best for me. Then I just have one meal a week where I don't count or worry. Its just a meal. Not a whole day. And Its usually lunch so its not a big chow fest!

It is COMPLETELY up to the individual. But u have to know yourself and your food habits to make that choice. I've never saved syns before but I did flexisyn for a big party. And MAN was it hard to get moving in the right direction the next day!!!

yep , i just had hubbys birthday to contend with , went out ate a perfectly syn free meal but then I came home and had some choccy cake ... but hang on it was ok I weighed it and worked out the syns (14 for a slice, two days running). I usually only have about 10 syns per day tho cos i don't seem to lose much otherwise so now i'm adjusting my syns to 5 a day for a couple of days to compensate but only because i feel ok and I feel I can manage to stick to plan and not feel deprived ... so fingers crossed eh?

Back