Confidence needed for newbie please !!

Mrsmecca

Hi everyone, today I am looking forward to being lighter each week by following Slimming World's plan.

At the beginning of 2009 I lost 3 stones using Cambridge diet, In May 2009 I became ill with a muscle disease that has weakened all my body and left me with hardly any mobility and in a wheelchair much of the time. And yes, because of the lack of mobility and because I felt so low I put the 3 stones back on! :sigh:

I have not been allowed to diet recently as I am taking Warfarin after suffering a DVT and I have lost my confidence to diet - I have little faith in myself that I will lose the weight until now.

I have just returned from a weekend in London and my poor husband has really struggled to push my wheelchair around all day. This has spurred me on to do something about it.

I received loads of help and encouragement from the Cambridge forum last time and I hope to make lots of online friends again this time on the Slimming World forum.

Any advice, tips or encouragement will be gratefully received.

Day one, here goes.....

there is a lady who does SW at my previous group and she is also in a wheelchair and she was doing fantastically. she goes swimming as her exercise of choice and she was combining this with SW's sensible eating plan and she was losing 2-3lbs a week.

so good luck to you. i used to work in the haematology department at my local hospital and part of my job was booking in people for their warfarin checks.

xxx

Welcome on board honey! You have certainly picked the right diet plan. Prepare to be amazed at how much you lose when you eat so much food! SW is not a quick fix however. Food optimising is more of a plan for life than a diet. The slower it comes off though, the less likely you'll put it all back on.

Are you doing red/green/extra easy? My tip is to thoroughly read and re-read all your books so you get to grips with your particular plan as all three of these have different approaches. There's some good 'stickys' explaining SW on here too.

Keep posting as this is a very warm and friendly support group. It's great to have you here!

Hi, thanks for your replies. I don't know which plan to follow at the moment...there is a group tomorrow that I could access using my mobility scooter so I have decided it would be wise to join up so I can familiarise myself with the plan again (it's a few years since I first used it).
I have felt so down about my weight and this weekend has really upset me...my poor husband has always been supportive but to see him out of breath and struggling to push me (I'm 15.6 stones) was a real eye opener!
Can't wait for the group tomorrow now...I'm going to give it my best!

Hi and welcome to SW. It really is a great plan so I am sure you will do well.

Does your warfarin mean there are things you can/cant eat? I know when my mum was on it that she was told to avoid cranberries.

Heyyy! :D

Welcome lovely! :D

Best of luck with your SW journey, I look forward to hearing your progress and getting to know you! xxxx

Hi, yes there are things I've been told to avoid and I was told not to diet but I am (hopefully) near the end of my treatment now and I can't wait any longer!

I would have thought that SW was as good a diet as any as it is just based on normal healthy eating. In fact most of us will tell you its not like a diet at all.

The new Extra Easy plan is great but takes a few days of reading and re-reading to get used to it but once you do, its fab.

I would have thought that SW was as good a diet as any as it is just based on normal healthy eating. In fact most of us will tell you its not like a diet at all.

I second this. Really it's just a way of healthy eating which is why it doesn't feel like a diet. I'm eating more than I did before - just the right things. I've never gone hungry or felt deprived of anything. Good luck starting out. ZXXX

Hi there! I just wanted to pop in to say hi and welcome to SW and Minimins :) I'm sorry to hear about your illnesses hun, and sorry to hear you're feeling low :grouphugg: I had a DVT back in 2003 (I was only 18, so I was a bit shocked!) and if I remember correctly they told me to keep roughly the same diet to keep the level of Vitamin K pretty much constant with what it had been previously. I couldn't have a lot of leafy greens (that wasn't a problem at that point anyway ;)) or cranberries.

It's really is up to you which plan you follow hun, but I think I'd be tempted to start with the green or red plan, as the Extra Easy plan advises you to have a 1/3 superfree foods with each meal (fruit or veg). Obviously it's easy enough to avoid the leafy greens on EE, but there seems to be less of an emphasis on having 1/3 superfree with each meal on Green and Red. I do mainly EE, so I'm not 100% sure about Green/Red days.

Blimey, this is turning into an essay! Best of luck with your weight loss hun, and if you ever need support, this is the place to be! :D xxx

Hi there! I just wanted to pop in to say hi and welcome to SW and Minimins :) I'm sorry to hear about your illnesses hun, and sorry to hear you're feeling low :grouphugg: I had a DVT back in 2003 (I was only 18, so I was a bit shocked!) and if I remember correctly they told me to keep roughly the same diet to keep the level of Vitamin K pretty much constant with what it had been previously. I couldn't have a lot of leafy greens (that wasn't a problem at that point anyway ;)) or cranberries.

It's really is up to you which plan you follow hun, but I think I'd be tempted to start with the green or red plan, as the Extra Easy plan advises you to have a 1/3 superfree foods with each meal (fruit or veg). Obviously it's easy enough to avoid the leafy greens on EE, but there seems to be less of an emphasis on having 1/3 superfree with each meal on Green and Red. I do mainly EE, so I'm not 100% sure about Green/Red days.

Blimey, this is turning into an essay! Best of luck with your weight loss hun, and if you ever need support, this is the place to be! :D xxx

Thanks for that info...I remembered something about not too much green veg but wasn't told why.

I'm feeling much better now I have made the decision to do something about my weight...and even better now I have logged back onto this forum...support from others in the same boat helps so much.
Here's to a lighter, brighter future!
Nic x

Welcome Mrsmecca!

My one bit of advice is, don't think of this as a diet. SW is perfect for a normal healthy eating plan- get out of the habit of thinking in terms of dieting and treat this like a lifestyle change- if you do, this will become a sustainable life change, not a quick fix

Good luck- ask away if you have any questions- you get TONS of support on here
xxxx

Welcome Mrsmecca!

My one bit of advice is, don't think of this as a diet. SW is perfect for a normal healthy eating plan- get out of the habit of thinking in terms of dieting and treat this like a lifestyle change- if you do, this will become a sustainable life change, not a quick fix

Good luck- ask away if you have any questions- you get TONS of support on here
xxxx

Thanks for that advice...sounds sensible.

Wow...looked at your tracker - you have done sooo well!!

I'm inspired!!

Nic x

Back