Snacks Confused about roasted chickpeas

My sister told me about roasted chickpeas as a healthy snack. Thought I'd try them as I miss peanuts. But when I started looking for a recipe, kept getting conflicting information about whether to Syn them or not. Does anyone know? :confused:

Circes - they're not free in this case because they're being used as a 'snack' - correct?

Incorporated into normal recipes etc, chickpeas can still be eaten on Green or EE as free?

Thanks, Circes. That's a real shame, was quite looking forward to tucking into them! Just checked on SW website, and any other way, they're free - very confusing!

Hi Wigglyworm, chickpeas are definitely free on Green and Extra Easy when you boil them or add them to a stew or something. Seems they're just not free roasted. I'll check at class to see how many points are in roasted, may still be worth it!

Because you are using them in a way that they are not intended to be used, in order to produce a snack alternative. Around here we call it food abuse. If you were having chickpeas as normal it would be part of a meal along with other free and superfree foods that would fill you up for a long time and limit the amount you eat. But have them as an alternative to peanuts as a snack you could easily sit and munch your way through loads of them and inadvertently take in a lot of calories. So SW say you need to syn them if using them in this way - they are protecting your losses.

I'm really confused. I just weighed in online and the article it presented me with was about snacking on Green/EE. Chickpeas are listed in the foods to have as a snack:

For a Free snack on Green or Extra Easy, nibble on some of these suggestions...[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
Chick peas
Fresh or frozen fruit
Pickled beetroot/ gherkin/onions
New potatoes
Jacket potato
Corn on the cob

Baby sweetcorn
Bamboo shoots/water chestnuts
Cherry tomatoes
Noodles with soy sauce
Baked beans or mushy peas
Hard-boiled eggs

For a Superfree sweet snack on Green, Original and Extra Easy, nibble on these to your heart's content!
(remember, fresh or frozen not canned or dried)
fresh apple slices
fresh satsuma/tangerine segments

grapes - green, black or red
melon slices - as much as you want
fresh cherries
strawberries - straight from the punnet
rambutan or kumquats
ripe mango or guava
fresh pineapple cubes
bananas - simple yet effective
ripe apricots, nectarines and peaches
kiwi fruit - eaten like a boiled egg!

Yes but that's chickpeas - not roasted chickpeas. Chickpeas in their natural state are free, just as potatoes are free.

i think by roasted chickpeas people mean the dried stuff you get in a packet at the Asian grocers (or a similar thing made by yourself?). My grocer has two types, one in oil and one not in oil, I used to get the oil free one, spray it with a bit of FryLight and sprinkle some salt or Cajun seasoning over and use it as a snack. These day that's called 'food abuse', like SW crisps are. It's up to you whether you want to follow that route.

I eat stuff like that occasionally, say once every couple of months or more, and I only have a really small bowl eg 40 chickpeas or half a potato. Not everybody would be able to stick to that so it wouldn't work for everyone. It's definitely NOT OK to eat that stuff regularly in large quantities.

So they're actually completely dehydrated? That makes sense then. That's not what I think of when I see 'roasted' hence my confusion!

That's the way I read it but I don't know if it's what the OP meant. my consultant was the one who recommended them, along with SW crisps, but this was 5 years ago before 'food abuse' was Satan...

Because you are using them in a way that they are not intended to be used, in order to produce a snack alternative. Around here we call it food abuse. If you were having chickpeas as normal it would be part of a meal along with other free and superfree foods that would fill you up for a long time and limit the amount you eat. But have them as an alternative to peanuts as a snack you could easily sit and munch your way through loads of them and inadvertently take in a lot of calories. So SW say you need to syn them if using them in this way - they are protecting your losses.
Sorry to be dim but but if they are free as a snack and i put them from the tin into the oven to heat them how does that make then into food abuse? - not trying to be awkward just really confused as it clearly says eat freely and im not adding anything just heating them as you would meat, potato, rice etc which you could also use as a snack :confused:

Because once you've cooked them theres hardly anything left, all the water has gone so *by weight* all that is left is almost pure carbohydrate ie calories. Like the crisp example: a whole potato might fill you up, but a potato's worth of crisps - with all the calorie-free water etc sucked out of it - would not. If you start snacking on these they're not going to fill you up, you're still going to be hungry and end up rooting around for more food.

If you can control yourself to stick to say 30 chickpeas max AND eat it alongside plenty of superfree food etc as a meal, fine, but most people won't.

I'm not saying I agree with any of this but it seems that's the way SW teach these days.

ah thank you that makes more sense now - suppose its the same as eating an orange is free but juicing it is point cos you loose the fibre - thanks for the explanation

Because once you've cooked them theres hardly anything left, all the water has gone so *by weight* all that is left is almost pure carbohydrate ie calories. Like the crisp example: a whole potato might fill you up, but a potato's worth of crisps - with all the calorie-free water etc sucked out of it - would not. If you start snacking on these they're not going to fill you up, you're still going to be hungry and end up rooting around for more food.

If you can control yourself to stick to say 30 chickpeas max AND eat it alongside plenty of superfree food etc as a meal, fine, but most people won't.

I'm not saying I agree with any of this but it seems that's the way SW teach these days.

I'm still a little confused by this. They say that you can eat chickpeas as a snack... surely no one eats them raw?!

What Circes says, the ones in tins are already soaked and cooked. I eat a tin of them nearly every day, in hummus or salads or curries... :eek:

They are nice in sandwiches if you mush them up a bit too, used to get hubby to make them when I was pregnant with the other one. Hugs Crystal xx

Back