Considering the Atkins Plan.

WelshSwan

Hi there! As you can see I haven't been a member for long! I am currently doing Slim and Save but I only plan to stay on this diet for a month as I don't think I could maintain this long term! I know that a low carb diet is the way to go for me and I've been looking into the Atkins plan, to be honest I am torn between this and the Dukan diet but it seems with Atkins there are more things you can have like sausages (low carb and fat I know), ham, cheese, basically three of my favourite things! lol Anyway, long winded as I am, I was reading on the Dukan site about Shiritaki (sp?) Noodles? I am assuming that they are okay on the Atkins plan aswell as they are low carb, I just wanted to find out as I could see them being a replacement for my pasta cravings! Sorry for being so long, I never ever shut up!

Hi and welcome.
Have you got the Atkins book? It is a must read.
My friend and I at work started Dukan two years ago and I couldn't stick to it - don't like yogurt and seemed like you had to eat a lot! My friend did really good on it and she lost 3 stone and has kept it off, but I just muddled through, stated Atkins 2 weeks ago and wish I had done it years ago!

Personally not heard of these noodles but I'm sure one of the others will come along in a bit and let you know - but once you have been doing the diet for a week the cravings for pasta etc.. do go.

Good luck with what ever you decide but most important advice get the book and start reading x

Hello!

Firstly - Dukan is a high protein, low fat, moderate carb plan.

Atkins is a high fat, low carb, moderate protein diet.

We don't get to eat yogurt, they don't get to eat cheese, etc. But high fat is a necessary part of Atkins - we have real butter, mayo, cook in oil etc.

You do need to get and read the book to fully appreciate the diet, but also have a look at the sticky 'so you're thinking of starting Atkins'.

Re: shirataki noodles. Yes you can have them but don't expect them to taste like any form of pasta you might recognize. They have a chewy texture a little like rice noodles. Some hate it, some think it's fine, but it's very much a matter of personal taste. Definitely don't go in expecting anything like egg noodles or spaghetti.

I was the same I thought about the dukan, but Atkins is really good I've been on it for three days and have already lost 3lbs. If you do it right it will work for you :)

I've done both Dukan and Atkins. I paid an absolute fortune to join the Dukan website going back 2 or 3 years.... and stuck with the diet for about 3 months. The losses were very similar to Atkins but i found it hard to keep up with the diet longer term, it was just hard to integrate properly into my lifestyle and it felt too restrictive. Also kept getting muddled between PP and PV days and found PP days really dull after a while. I enjoy Atkins style eating much more than Dukan, love my real butter, cheese, etc, and since the weightloss works out about the same i just stuck with Atkins ever since.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I have just purchased the Atkins book and have been doing a lot of research today and my mind is firmly set on Atkins! With my picky eating it will suit me more and there seems to be more things I can eat that I like so it will be easier to stick to! I have another weeks worth of Slim and Save to go but I might be joining you next week as I am beginning to struggle a little! Thanks for your advice everyone, I really appreciate it :)

These noodles? I have not heard of them before, are they ok on induction? Where do you get them?

Yes, they're basically nutritionally valueless as they're made from pure fibre so they're practically zero calorie and zero carb.

I use them now and then but I warn you again they can be an acquired taste.

I tried Dukan for 4 days last year and I was soooo miserable, it just wasn't funny! I lost 9 lbs in 4 days but it was impossible to stick to.

I then recently found a vlcd that wasn't as torturous as lipotrim and used that to kick start myself by killing carb/sugar cravings, stuck to it for 12 days and have been on Atkins since.. It's amazing how appreciative you can be! :) I read some great advice on here somewhere about not weighing yourself for 2 weeks while transitioning between vlcd and Atkins, and they were on the button!

Personally, I find Atkins is something you can have a life with, I still go out to eat the odd time just being smart about choices. I love looking at those numbers decreasing on the scales!

Never tried the noodles.. My life tends to be salads, salads, and salads!! .:) its great to see what kind of interesting things you can do with foods that you can eat.. Good luck!

Welcome to atkins, it is the easiest diet I have ever tried, you can eat plenty of yummy food and once you are in ketosis cravings reduce and the diet gets healthier and healthier.

Just make sure you learn lots of tasty recipes and dont get stuck eating the same food like a did...thats when I felt like giving up. But I didnt...and now I love Atkins and the food!!!

Back