Controversial stuff! Good idea or huge mistake?

Kate

CDC/PT/PITA
BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Madrid bans waifs from catwalks

Madrid bans waifs from catwalks

Madrid fashion week, one of Spain's most prestigious shows, is banning underweight models on the basis of their body mass index (BMI).

UN health experts recommend a BMI of between 18.5 and about 25, and some models may fall well below the minimum.

The Spanish Association of Fashion Designers has decided to ban models who have a BMI of less than 18.

Unhealthily skinny models at last year's fashion shows led to protests from doctors and women's rights groups.

The association agreed to use the BMI - a calculation based on height and weight - in response to local government pressure.

It suggests that 30% of would-be participants fail this test and this year's fashion week, which begins on 18 September, will offer medical treatment to excessively thin models.

"The restrictions could be quite a shock to the fashion world at the beginning but I'm sure it's important as far as health is concerned," Leonor Perez Pita, director of the Madrid fashion show, was quoted as saying by Reuters news agency.

Madrid's local government says it wants to set a more positive, healthy image of beauty for teenagers to follow.

"Fashion is a mirror and many teenagers imitate what they see on the catwalk," said regional official Concha Guerra.

Spain's Anorexia and Bulimia Association says if designers refuse to follow these voluntary restrictions the government should legislate to ban thin models.

However, some sections of the fashion world have expressed outrage at the idea of weight restrictions.

Cathy Gould, of New York's Elite modelling agency, said the fashion industry was being used as a scapegoat for weight-related illnesses.

"I understand they want to set this tone of healthy beautiful women but what about discrimination against the model and what about the freedom of the designer?" she asked, adding that the careers of naturally "gazelle-like" models could be damaged.

I've just replied to this on Karion's thread - I think it's fab that only healthy models will be able to set an example to our young females!!!

We'll all be a damn sight happier!

Get some fuller-figure babes on that catwalk too, say I!!!!!

Oh, I didn't realise it had been posted somewhere else. There are so many forums here it's hard to find everything. If you want to delete this I don't mind.

Not to worry. Easily done on here. It's such a busy forum :)

One tip for everyone though whilst we at it: instead clicking each 'room', press 'New Posts' on the dark blue area above to get the latest messages.

You probably know this, but others might not.

Hi Kate,

I think that is an excellent article and I have noticed that some of the models have got extremely thin that you can see their bones...

I have never see any young girl go out of her way to emulate anyone who is over weight or obese?

But I do know loads of girls including myself that have tried at some point in their lives to look like a model...my role model was "Twiggy":D

No matter how thin I got
61939-heifer.jpg
with walking and dieting I still

looked like a heifer

Back