converting the syns to extra easy ....help!!!!!!!!!!!!

faye cheshire

Silver Member
hi, not thinking I have got the one pot wonder cookbook. I didn't realise it only had red and green day syns so as I am on extra easy I am at a bit of a loss. Is there an easy way to convert the values to extra easy please

Faye Cheshire

You just count the lowest syn value.

its not really the case that you would just go for the lowest of the two syns values. There will be meals where this just does not work eg spag bol. On a red day the meat is free but pasta is synned while on green the reverse is true. But on EE they are both free so to go for the lowest of green/red you would be over synning it. There is also the question of what to do about green day recipes that uses cheese as a HEB choice as on EE it would need to be synned or depending on what the cheese is it may count as a HEA. And sorry but 1 syn for every 20 calories will not work either because the calories are not given and it doesnt take into account any free food allowances

So really the best thing is just to go through the ingredients and work it out for EE - it should be really easy to pinpoint what is free and what is synned. :)

That is what I thought because some of the recipes ..eg vegetable lasagne has quark and low fat yoghurt but everything else is free. Will have to go thru and make a note on each recipe I use so that I am not having to do it every time.

Thank you Faye Cheshire

The 20kcal = 1 syn doesn't always apply for meals (chocolate and snacks, yes most of the time) only because of things like sausages for example :p not saying anyone's wrong at all just saying its not always the case :)

That is what I thought because some of the recipes ..eg vegetable lasagne has quark and low fat yoghurt but everything else is free. Will have to go thru and make a note on each recipe I use so that I am not having to do it every time.

Thank you Faye Cheshire

But quark and low fat (well fat free) yogurt is free on all plans anyway..

I've got an edition of the one pot wonders cookbook with the syn values for EE in it as well. Just had a flick through and there are no recipes where the rule 'use the lowest syn value' doesn't apply.

My book has:

SOUPS: Caramalised onion soup to fragrant mussel broth
GREEN MAIN:Cheesy rice and aubergenie pepper melts to Wild mushroom and potato frittata
ORIGINAL MAIN: Beef, mushroom and carrot stew to savoury prawn and herb frittata
DESSERTS Creamy rice and rosewater pudding to baked vanilla cheesecase

If your book has the same recipes then the advice of simply going by the lowest syn value will be easiest to follow.

Back