Cooked deli chickens

Our SW consultant told us to keep far from the spit roasted chickens you get in supermarkets as they inject them with fat and sugars to make them juicier. :drool:

Not sure about those in the deli's but ask how they cook them and what goes into them if you're not sure.

Sorry Starlight...wasn't paying attention as to where the post was :rolleyes:

scorpiolady, it is an urban myth that supermarkets inject their chickens with fat. Any syns come from the skin, any marinade that has been rubbed on the skin, and the actual fat within the chicken itself (ie. breast is lean so syn-free, but thighs have some fat so will have some syns).

Mammaw - if it is a plain roast chicken then it will be free if you remove the skin and don't eat any visible fat.

Scorpiolady2710 said:
Sorry Starlight...wasn't paying attention as to where the post was :rolleyes:

I don't think where the post was was what was making Starlight cry.. This is a debate just like the deep-fried weatherspoon's jacket potatoes.. I think it's been all but proved that the chicken is just chicken, unless it's had some oil-based marinade rubbed into the skin, which the people on the counter will be able to tell you about if you ask.. I'm quite surprised that your C told you this :/ so I can't blame you 'cos : trust what they said too but I think it's been proved (by people who work behind the counters) that they're just chickens and are not injected with anything - so avoid anything that's not 'plain' but the plain chickens are free with the skin removed of course.. You could ask at the counter about any marinades or rubs to make sure if you want further reassurance about the particular ones you wanted to buy..

X

who_la_hoop said:
scorpiolady, it is an urban myth that supermarkets inject their chickens with fat. Any syns come from the skin, any marinade that has been rubbed on the skin, and the actual fat within the chicken itself (ie. breast is lean so syn-free, but thighs have some fat so will have some syns).

Mammaw - if it is a plain roast chicken then it will be free if you remove the skin and don't eat any visible fat.

Sorry didn't see this post above mine!! But I think that all chicken meat breast or thigh is free so long as it's skinless and cooked without fat as it's a lean mean :/ xx

As I understand it, the problem comes from the rotisserie action where fat from the chickens cooking drops onto those below it constantly, so they're not cooked without fat.
My consultant told us it's something like 8 syns per 28gms, if I recall correctly.
Shame isn't it!!

Yes, but once you remove the skin you remove almost all the fat - so the chicken remains free AS LONG AS YOU DONT EAT THE SKIN - which you shouldn't be eating anyway ;)

It's the same as roasting at home - its fine to cook the chicken in its skin as long as you remove the skin afterwards.

I know the skin needs to come off before its eaten but my c says that it's still not syn free as the fat has been dripping on it constantly through the cooking process much more than if you just roasted it, hence the 8syns thing...
Although if it's working for you then cant argue with that!!!

I have always found the whole cooking chicken with skin thing a bit confusing. We aren't allowed to cook bacon or a pork chop or piece of steak with the fat still attached but we can with a whole chicken and that doesn't affect the syns. Leaving the skin on for cooking means that the chicken has not been cooked without fat, which is one of the fundamental SW rules.
The consensus as always been that this is as long as the skin is removed afterwards it remains free but its one of those times when SW isn't quite logical. I have often wondered if that means I can cook chicken drumsticks and thighs without removing the skin first too.

I have always found the whole cooking chicken with skin thing a bit confusing. We aren't allowed to cook bacon or a pork chop or piece of steak with the fat still attached but we can with a whole chicken and that doesn't affect the syns. Leaving the skin on for cooking means that the chicken has not been cooked without fat, which is one of the fundamental SW rules.
The consensus as always been that this is as long as the skin is removed afterwards it remains free but its one of those times when SW isn't quite logical. I have often wondered if that means I can cook chicken drumsticks and thighs without removing the skin first too.

Yes, you can :)

I think the point is the skin covers the whole bit of meat so it acts as a bit of a 'barrier' to any fat actually reaching the meat to be absorbed into it - it is not fat-absorbent. Whereas if you cook a chop or something that just isn't the case - pouring oil over it will just be absorbed into the spongy meat.

Just a theory and tbh I never cook any meat in fat without synning it, and nor would I buy spit-roast chicken type stuff.

But the other thing is *even if there is* a *little* bit of oil in some chicken that has been cooked with its skin on, its still going to be WAY less than chicken cooked in oil without skin full stop. The odd few calories here and there are really not going to pile the pounds on - but frying a chicken in neat oil will :D

If in doubt, just dont cook in oil or buy things that *have* been cooked in oil at all :)

Thanks ermintrude. I have always dutifully removed the skin from drumsticks and thighs which is a very annoying and fiddly job.

I agree that *a little bit of oil* that gets through the skin is going to be an awful lot healthier for us than other ways of cooking and eating.

I always remove the skin from chicken thighs before cooking as well, because I find that there is quite a bit of fat to trim off the meat under the skin. If it wasn't for that fat, I wouldn't bother.

Personally, I treat them as syn free. I can eat them every day and still lose weight. Where as others in my group would gain if they did that. Its one of those bubba that if it works for you, fine, if not syn it. Our consultant goes over this one all the time!

Back