Cop out or am i being sensible?

Littleslimmingbee

Gold Member
Hi all. I need your honest opinions and advise.. i know your all very good at this and most of you know me quite well now, and if not.. heres a quick blur of my slimming life if you care to comment.

I reached target in august 2009 and have been maintain my target weight on 10 st 1 since.. a total loss of 4stone 7.5lbs. I am a size 10 is the majority of shops and was very much happy untill christmas. I decided i wanted to drop another 7lb for my 5stone award. I find that when i gain a few lbs on the odd ocasion, i feel very uncomfortable with myself and although i always get it back off almost straight away, i just feel i dont have much leway before i 'dont' like the way i look again. If that makes any sence.. I just feel if i were at a lower weight, the occasions i gain a few lbs, wont bother me as much, as il still be under my original target weight, that when im at i am happy with. (really dont know if im making any sence here)

anywho, iv been faff assing about since January, and although the odd weeks iv not given it my all.. the lowest iv gotten too is 9st 12 and back up again. Im finding it VERY difficult to actually lose weight now, i suspect after loosing so much, maintaining for 9 months and generally being of a healthy weight range now, loses are very slow if any at all, but the effort put in on some weeks has been monumental with little reward. Im finding it an uphill battle, and thus am easily falling off the wagon. iv been 100% on plan for 12 days and counting an have been weighing fortnightly to relieve some of the pressure and get back into enjoying the plan. I am most deffinatly back to enjoying the plan, but am concerned if i dont see a good result this wednesday, my confidence is going to take another knock.

my concern is, if its THIS difficult to get these last 7lbs off, is it a sign that its just a weight i may not be able to maintain? i have maintained my 10st 1lb loss for 9 months quite happily.. but what if i get this 7lb off and really struggle? its not that i neednt loose the weight. I could still very much healthily loose the weight and have it to lose. Im deffinatly not skin and bones yet :p not that i ever want or will be!

anywho. My question is, if i continue to struggle, when do i call it quits and stick to my original target weight.. or is this me copping out becos the goings got tough? i mean, some people find the entire journey very difficult, esp those who havnt much to loose. Loosing my weight was very easy with slimmingworld and i loved every minute, i continuesly lost unless i had a real reason not too, and the most difficult bit were the emotional changes.. so now its becoming a struggle almost, its a bit of a shock tbh. I love slimmingworld.. i really do.., and never see myself eating another way. So i am confident in my ability to only take this journey once, and keep it off for life.

is it a cop out? or do i have to realise when my bodys done?

sorry for the long and rambely post!

Hi :wavey:

I think your body is telling you it's happy where it is.

As you have said you know yourself when your uncomfortable and you know exactly what to do to get to target. If I was you I'd just relax about it now and you may find that you lose a couple of pounds without the pressure.

:)

How much water do you drink? How much exercise do you do?

If it were me, I'd be doing a month 100%, 2+ltres a day, and 5x 30mins exercise a week. If at the end of that month you havent lost anything, I'd call it quits.

Id agree, your body is telling you enough now, youre at a good weight. Instead of stressing about that extra few lbs why not just relax and concentrate on maintaining.

Youve done so well and lets face it a size 10?? :wow: thats fantastic. Its time you sat back and enjoyed what youve achieved x

Id agree, your body is telling you enough now, youre at a good weight. Instead of stressing about that extra few lbs why not just relax and concentrate on maintaining.

Youve done so well and lets face it a size 10?? :wow: thats fantastic. Its time you sat back and enjoyed what youve achieved x

Couldn't agree more! Enjoy your body and if you lose a couple of more pounds (you may when you start to relax in yourself a bit more) then great but if not, don't forget how well you've done hun and how much we all :heartpump: u xxxx

Have to agree with the others - if you're finding it next to impossible to shift those last few (well 7) pounds - then maybe sticking where you are is the best. Maintaing that for 9 months is no easy feat on it's own and I'd allow yourself to concentrate on getting back on maintaining and looking more at refocusing on your own feelings so that the odd small gain doesn't make you feel how it does - after all SW give us the 3lb each way lee-way to make allowances for life getting in the way - if we could all get to one weight and throw a switch and stay there - it'd be wonderful - but it doesn't happen that way.

Well done though on your achievement...

Its difficult because everyone says i look amazing, but i feel so self critical, but at the same time i think i wouldnt be self critical if i were truely happy with myself??

I drink 2ltrs of water a day, 3ltrs the last few days in perticular due to the heat. I eat as much fruit as you could possibly imagine, my meals are syn free and i use my syns mainly of 'healthy' things the majority of the time. I dont drink at all. Iv stopped my after WI blow out for two months now (which was averaging 200syns for the night before id even started my fresh week) and no difference.

I stopped exercising recently, as i find it alot at the min with everything else.. but have started swimming again this week and have booked in for aquafit on monday so im hoping to see somthing from that, if not i think i may go insane LOL i hate exercise tbh. I do enjoy the odd swim but if i do it too often (more than once a week) i get bored.

My friend has expressed her concern that i may 'always' want those few lbs extra off.. and get carried away, continuesly aiming for less and less. I dont think this is the case here, but i can see its an easy trap to fall into. I just dont feel comfortable with myself at the min, even at 1lb less than my original target weight (i suspect i was back up to 10st last week)
Iv been with slimmingworld two years next week, and i guess after so long, all though i thoroughly enjoy the plan.. im finding the actual loosing weight a bit.. well.. i guess i just enjoyed maintaining for 9 months..

Hi Fernie Bernie (yeah, I've christened you Fernie Bernie :D )! I'm so sorry you're finding things so tough at the moment. I think what it might be is that it took a certain level of effort for you to lose the weight you have till date. And now that you're no longer overweight, it's more of a challenge. In order to lose 7lbs when you're already quite slim you'll probably have to double your efforts which is why you're finding it so hard going. I think it's about adjusting your mindset. Viewing this last few lbs as a project, like a bootcamp challenge. It'll be hard, uncomfortable and probably unlike the SW you've done to date but may be necessary to blast those last lbs!

How about trying this, for the next couple of weeks do only red days and only eat speed foods and super speed fruits, keep syns to max of 5 a day and do some form of exercise everyday. The good thing is that it's not going to be forever, just a few short weeks until you get to your new goal weight and then you can ease off and maintain happily.

It's all well and good saying your body might be happy at 10st but you're clearly not otherwise you wouldn't have posted this thread. So I suggest you give it your best shot and see if that makes a difference. Don't feel discouraged, afterall nothing worthwhile comes easy! You'll do a great job and we'll all be here to support you!

Some great advice given, wanted to say you have achieved so much and be proud of what you have done. Are we ever happy with ourselves though, think we can always find something.
Your maintaining so well but can totally understand you wanting to reach that 5 stone loss. Perhaps it is a case of trying to swapping plans and introducing new foods to fool your body into kick starting again.
You've taught it to maintain and now your asking it to lose again and maybe that needs a bit of encouragement.
Be positive and remember how far you've come and if you don't get the loss this week then don't let it get you down as you have already achieved alot and given so much inspiration to other.
Hope I havent waffled too much
Hugs
xxx

It might be that your body is at a 'set point'. There's a theory that the body naturally settles at certain weights for long periods of time, regardless of the energy in / energy out equation. This can happen when you're on the way up as well as on the way down.

It doesn't mean that your body won't lose any more weight, just that it will frustrate the hell out of you by sticking where it is for a while despite your best efforts to lose those few lbs. You just have to keep doing what you're doing, and then eventually it will unfreeze and drop below the current set point.

Thanks for the replys everybody, it all makes lots of sence what your all saying.

I have tried going back to red and green, with red i lost 0.5lb, and then with green i gained half! I think its possible that its the extra HEB that does it, as im now used to having only one.. but theres no way i could do either without the extra HE's. Plus then id be messing with it all a bit too much for my liking.. its supposed to be followed to work, not to mess with, otherwise it wont.

Im feeling a bit delicate this morning, OH made a comment about a girl at the party yday, who was of a 'simalar' size to me. Now. I thought i was smaller. So now im having a panic that i have a distorted image of how i look now? Its odd because i dont want to be skinny, i want nice curves, but i just feel i have one too many lumpy bumpy bits right now. I think 7lb would do the trick..

Iv been mulling it over all night, and i think for now im going to keep going and doing what i can to shift it, and just see how i feel as i go. If i find in another 8 weeks that im just in the same position and getting unhappy, il stop and go back to maintaining. I know i can be happy at the weight im at, but i suppose iv ruined it for myself by thinking i need another 7lbs off.. so thats all i can focus on and thus, no longer feel comfortable.

we'l see... i swear to god though, if i weigh in at 10st on wednesday.. i may just loose all sanity i have left LOL.

Thanks for the help guys. xxx

How tall are you Fern? Just out of interest. You may find if you BMI is spot on at 10st then that's where it should stay. OR you may need to actually have a few 'naughty days' of going over syns to boost your metabolism. xxx

Good luck Fern, don't be discouraged and don't let external influences wobble you. Stick with it! Maybe this is that dreaded plateau that almost everyone goes through in their weight loss journey. But if you're sticking to the plan the weight will come off.

Im 5'2 and the boots machine says that im still a little bit over a healthy bmi i think. Only a little bit but still over.

Hehe, ferni berni :8855:

I really hope this isnt a plataue :(

i know it may be controversial but why dont you try a week of WW? you never know, the different amounts of kcals/fat/etc might shock your body into losing a couple of those last few pounds. sometimes i wonder if some of the sts's are because of the very low fat aspect of SW, its amazing how swapping good fats for kcals can really boost WL, so i've heard but might be worth a try :) well done on your loss so far XX

I would possibly concider this if in 8weeks time i was still seeing no change and still wanted the weight off, but i am so happy with slimmingworld, and i find the aspect of ww scary. The whole points system, i have a problem with stressing myself out over food, and this may put me in my element with my obbsessivness.. plus im scared to go hungry!

Its a difficult balance, some say just go all out for those last few lbs, but quite frankly no matter how much i want those last few lbs off, there are certain things i wont give up or do. Whether thats a sign of how much i truely want the wieght off or not if down to how you perceive it.. but i love sw because i never gave up anything or forced myself to eat somthing i didnt want or like or exercise when i hated every secound for it. . so im reluctant to go against this, i dont want to find myself in a position were i begin to not find it enjoyable anymore?

i have 8 weeks, if i have made no significant improvment by then, im just going to listen to my body i think. xxx

I eat as much fruit as you could possibly imagine,
Hiya darling xx I will get shot for using the calories word (ducking from all the rotten tomatoes thrown at me) but you could simply be having too much fruit. I was horrified the other day to see that the amount of calories in a preprepared fruit salad from Tesco was 340 calories, the pineapple one had even more. This is an example of how fruit an add up:

20 grapes=40
big slice of melon =96
braeburn apple = 60
large pear = 70
Banana = 120
mango slices = 60

GRAND TOTAL 492 caloriesJust a thought and worth a look at. Good luck xx

its funny you should say that rosie, because a few weeks back i began entering all i was eating into a calorie counter and was shocked to see i was eating over 2000 a day, as apposed to the 1300 it recommended for a steady 1lb loss a week. I decided to ignore it as obviously you dont count calories with sw and i think doing both is a bit silly, but even when i tried to lower my calorie intake whilst following slimmingworld as normal i was starving and couldnt hack it.

I have a huge appetite and feel very unwell if i start eating less or smaller portions.. :( Plus i love my fruit, but i do eat alot

i ate four pinapples in a week last week, and i generally eat up to four apples a day, a banana and always some berries. . ?

The one question that struck me here is: If you lost 7lb, once there would you still feel bad if you then gained a couple of pound? You say you are doing this to give yourself lee-way, but what if you got comlpletely used to being your 'new' weight- would you probably still feel bloated and unhappy if you gained a couple of pounds on top of that?

Targets are really difficult to judge, as they have so many factors to take into account. I think the most important factor for me personally is not whether I can GET to the target, but whether I will be able to comfortably maintain at this target for the rest of my life.

If you have maintained for 9 months and are really happy with the amount you are eating and exercising, then this is your 'happy' weight. You may be able to lose more, but to maintain that new lower weight you will have to eat less when you get to your 'new' target than you have done for the last 9 months- would you be comfortable with that?

Sorry if this is an undicisive post- targets are so personal that I don't feel comfortable saying what you should do. I really hope that if you decide to go for it, you do it with the success you have shown so far, and if you decide to maintain you realise that this is not copping out but is equally heroic and difficult.

Good luck, sunshine
xxxxx

Back