Extra Easy Could cry :-(

I am in no way new to slimming world but every time I try it I last two weeks max, today is day two and I'm not sure I can take anymore. My problem, which I have finally figured out, is sugar withdrawal. It's making me literally want to claw my skin off, the agitation is unreal and its all I can think about.

I've only got a 1.5 stone to lose to target and I know if I could just get rid of the pain caused by the sugar withdrawal I could fly it as I enjoy the slimming world. I wasn't even like this when I quit smoking.

I have always eaten healthily anyway, my downfall being sugar, I can leave takeaways, fast food etc but every day between 9am and 11am I would eat a whole packet of custard creams with a cuppa and every evening after my meals I can easily sit and eat 4-5 chocolate bars, I substituted cigarettes with chocolate and now it's come back to bite me on the bum. Literally.

Did anyone else go thru this and how did you manage to ride it out? I am on the brink of tears as I can only shift this stone via dieting, which right now seems impossible as I suffer from fibromyalgia so any high impact exercise is a no no and my sugar addiction is ruling my life.

There are lots of things you can have on Slimming World that should help to satisfy your urge for sugary stuff. What about:

- Options Hot Chocolates; only 2 Syns per sachet and really satisfy a sweet craving.
- Freddos; 5 Syns each
- Curly Wurlys; 6 Syns each but if you freeze them for a few minutes and snap them up into loads of little bits they last ages!
- Rainbow Drops; only 4 Syns per 28g bag! I bought a pack of 4 from the Poundshop - plus the bags are really full so they last for ages.
- Half Syn Cake; whip up one of the half Syn cakes for when your craving something sweet. If you wanted to you could eat the whole lot in one go, without going off plan!
- Pink 'n' Whites; Just 2.5 Syns each, and feel really naughty, especially if you melt them in the microwave for a few seconds! These are really sweet.

There are literally loads and loads of things you can have, and still be within your Syns allowance for the day. Just using these listed above you could have a full Half Syn cake, a Pink 'n' White, a bag of Rainbow Drops, a Curly Wurly and an Options Hot Chocolate and still be within your allowance - all of that lot comes to exactly 15 Syns!! When you get a craving, just hold on for a moment and think to yourself "Actually, what do I really want. A full packet of custard creams, or a cracking weight loss?" - I know which I'd choose each and every time!!

First of all :bighug:and second, put down that big stick you are beating yourself up with! I have the same problem in that a medical condition means I cant exercise so it's all diet for me too. It's still going to happen though. Have you tried having a banana as a mid morning snack? Or grapes. Also Muller light vanilla with choc sprinkles. Someone told me there's a Muller light mint with choc sprinkles and a coconut one that are both free on SW. Ask yourself do you really want the biscuits, or a weight loss more? and thirdly try and keep busy. I know that sometimes makes a craving go for me if I do something else and before long I've forgotton about it and it's time for the next meal anyway. Also if you really want to have a biccie, rich tea fingers are one syn each, so a low syn option for you. I hope some of these suggestions can help you. Good luck, you can do it!! xx

Giving up smoking is really tough. Giving up the thing you replaced it with is just as tough. I gave up smoking and replaced it with wine.... Then got a problem with drinking too much :( I then had to give up the wine, but found that really hard. I saw a counsellor who suggested replacing the wine with a large glass of iced slimline tonic with angastora bitters. That really helped. So I'm wondering what will help you? Maybe a large bowl of fruit salad with yoghurt on top followed by a bit of chewing gum? I know that for me I had to stop drinking wine completely for a while, maybe that's the same for you and sweet things? Hope this helps :)

Great advice from princess Stevie. I'd go for that!
At the risk of sounding awful is there a chance you're making excuses? No one 'needs' a whole packet of custard creams do they really?

Body magic doesn't have to be high impact exercise. Every little bit helps. Have you spoke to your doc about exercise on referral? May be some help. Of course we've no idea on what you can or can't do just trying to give some ideas.

Is there something none food or non smoking you could replace with? Something you could wean off when the time is right for you?

Good luck hun xx

May sound a little odd but have you tried a tablespoon of Golden Syrup or even 2? It's 2 syns per tablespoon and it's a massive sweet hit, it completely works for me when all I can think about is doing a hit and run on Thorntons!

I would compare it to smoking actually in that the cravings fade but you always have to be on your guard, Good luck with your journey :)

I agree sugar cravings are like smoking and other addictions. It's not about "need" it is a difficult to control desire!

Thank you so much ladies, I distracted myself by going out and buying an actifry (hubby gonna lurve me). Got enough syns saved up today to have a big fat double decker tonight and I can't wait lol.

I struggle with sugar cravings bad. To be honest I can't find anything to solve it. I've tried the gold syrup approach, made me worse. Eating no chocolate I end up binging on it a few days later. if i eat a little is satisfies me for a while but then I want more. Right now I have a bag on mints in my desk drawer at work, since its usually at work i struggle more with the cravings, 1.5 syns each and eating a few a day i get a nice sugar hit when i want it and only using a few syns. It doesnt solve my craving (doubt anything ever will) but it helps a little.

Marshmallow fluff is a fantastic sugary treat for minimal syns (2 level tbsp or 12g is only 1 syn) goes really great in hot choc or with fruit.

I remember years ago when Slimming magazine Clubs were going, they had a selection of diets, and one was "the chocolate diet" You got a mini bar of chocolate every night. I'm lucky I rarely crave sugar, now cheese:rolleyes:

it is hard to beat the sugar addiction i found the best way was to not take my purse to work do online shopping for a few weeks(do it on a full tummy tho) and remove all sweet things from my view (hubby hid them) its those first few weeks that can really trip you up.

i had to go cold turkey it was getting out of hand and every night i saved some syns and hubby retrieved me a curly wurly getting used to just ONE is hard but it was a worthwile excercise for me as now i can finally stop after one

tips grapes lots of really sweet grapes on hand and yogs (syn free of course) i make icecream with my yogs and bash up a funsize pack of maltesers feels sooooo naughty

lots and lots of sweet fruit ( ive eaten a whole sweet melon in a day once to combat cravings and had a good wloss)

hang in you will get there

I suffer from fibromyalgia also. The consultant told me to join a gym as walking isnt classed as excercise in his eyes. I could of punched his lights out. But I joined a power plate gym to start with. Its funny how excersising makes you stick to healthy eating. As I lost weight and started to get fitter ive found im not in pain anymore, I can actually sit on the sofa and not hurt. After a stone and a half I joined a proper gym and do pilates and body ballance, I walk on an incline and use weights and a power plate still, its excercise but not in a hard, pounding way. I really do feel like a new person and pain and tablet free for months.Good luck

Back