Cramp!

sarahj16

I'm on day 11 of SS+ and yesterday had a couple of crampy twinges in my calves. This morning I woke up to full blown cramp in my left calf muscle that would not shift, it was a good 10 mins before I could get out of bed.
Is this a common symptom of the diet?

I read in the Q&A bit on the main web page for Cambridge that it can happen.

This is what it says -

Leg cramps are common on a very low calorie diet, particularly in the initial stages when the diuretic phase is maximal. The rapid water shift is probably responsible. The muscle spasms result from changes in the sodium levels as the water shifts between cells.

If symptoms persist, speak to your GP or pharmacist

Answer
Leg cramps are common on a very low calorie diet, particularly in the initial stages when the diuretic phase is maximal. The rapid water shift is probably responsible. The muscle spasms result from changes in the sodium levels as the water shifts between cells.
If symptoms persist, speak to your GP or pharmacist

Cambridge Weight Plan: Consumer FAQs: Side Effects: I have been on Cambridge Weight Plan for two weeks and am getting cramp in my legs. Is the diet causing this?

You could also try adding a little salt about half teaspoonful to your water.

How much water are you drinking?

I'm drinking around 3 litres a day, although thinking about it I might not have had quite so much yesterday.
Will up my intake and see if that helps.

I drink 3 litres a day as I am tall and have, so far, not had any cramps :)

I'm drinking around 3 litres a day, although thinking about it I might not have had quite so much yesterday.
Will up my intake and see if that helps.

2.5litres/4pints in addition to what you use to mix your shakes is the recommended water intake and if it is a hot day or exercising you probably might need more...best to listen to your own body and find what suits you.

Cramps can be caused by not drinking enough or drinking too much water.

Pinch of salt usually helps but if they persist I would get them checked out.

Also if you tend to be cold in bed at night it helps to have a hot water bottle...I know my feet and legs get cold when I am in ketosis. It is June and I am wearing my PJ's:p

Back