Decent skin care.?

Littleslimmingbee

Gold Member
Hi all.
So im on a misson. In the past i'v used liz earle skin care, but fancy a change as i think its good for the skin every now and then. At the mo iv been swayed by Origins skin care, (in john lewis/house of fraiser) but is maybe even more expensive than Liz earle.

I was really impressed by the facial i had in house of fraiser using Origins skin products, and atm am swaying towards them. Which means im looking at a £60 package for just 3 items. Cleanser, skin syrum and a moistureiser. Seperatly these items would usually cost about £100.

I'm alergic to lanolin, so please bare this in mind when making suggestions!

In the past iv used all sorts of boots products, and quite liked simple, but my skin is so dry and sensitive iv decided i have to stop flitting between expensive and cheapy and give my skin the attention it clearly needs (attacking me with exma is not nice, thank you very much!)

but, it got me thinking about the rest of my body, and wandered if any of you could recommend a good range/body butter that really is amazing. I dont care about brand names or prices so much. i just want the good stuff. lol.

help me! x

Have you tried clarins - they are very good, also i use molton brown

ive been hearing my friends love the no 7 repair and protect (or somthing) range which may be a cheaper option!

X

Hey hun -

I cannot rate Darphin highly enough - their products are divine and since using them the difference in my skin is tenfold.

You cannot buy these in department stores, but if you go to their site and check it should tell you a salon close to you. It also details all their stuff and I'd assume contents. If you found a salon go to see them and they will be able to (after looking at skin) suggest what will be needed. They do stuff for all kinds of skin! It may be worth getting a facial with the stuff - this is what got me hooked. After 3 days my skin looked amazing and I went back to stock up. It set me back £180 to buy it all to start with, which is a LOT of money I know, but Christmas is looming...gift ideas!

I have normal skin and use their facial wash (£18), toner (£18), cleansing milk (£26) and then I have a variety of creams and oils. Ok, so it sounds weird to use facial oils, but they don't clog skin - they're really light and use once a week or so. I use the rose oil or tangerine oil at night 2 times a week, and the other nights I use their hydraskin light (about £36) In mornings I use the arivita C lotion (about £38). Oils are about £36 each - but I got these as treats later on.

It's not cheap - but it lasts ages. I say I probably re-buy each item I use a lot (toner and the night/day creams etc)every 6 months.

I used to get bouts of bad skin, but no more! Woo!

Also, I use the bare eccentuals (weird spelling on products) makeup by ID. It had few chemicals in and is a loose powder - not like the stuff from boots that says it's mineral based - this is much better for skin. It has SPF in too and doesn't give me any skin issues since using. The foundation doubles as concealer - you just use a diff brush - and costs £26. I get a new one every 3 months. But they do a kit for £50 which is the foundation, bronzer and the brushes etc to start you off.

xxx

I too am a Clinique fan - I got some "All About Eyes" the other day and I am so glad I went back to it - nothing else is quite the same!

I like Origins too. Expensive, yes, but very long-lasting.

Recently I was in House of Fraser looking at the new Lancome day cream Absolue Precious Cells. Just looking, you understand, as a pot costs around £120!! The assistant gave me a little pot as a sample - just 7 ml - but that was a month ago and I have used it every day and only just finished it. They reckon a pot should last about a year. It was lovely to use and really suited my skin, and I am thinking about it seriously.

You know the little pots of things that you get as a Gift With Purchase when you buy two things or spend a certain amount? Clinique, Lancome, Estee Lauder, all do this. Well, you can usually buy these on eBay quite cheaply, and it is a good way of spending a small amount finding out whether something suits your skin or not - and if not, you avoid an expensive mistake.

Sticky - you recommended Darphin to me the other day, and although I haven't tried it yet, I have discovered that they sell it in Space NK. Now there's a shop I try to force myself to stay out of!!! Hugely expensive, but quite irresistible! My excuse for being in there this week was to suss out what gift packages they have in the hope that they will have a nice sale after Christmas! And to get some more Eve Lom Kiss Mix, which is my favourite Lip Balm.

I too am a Clinique fan - I got some "All About Eyes" the other day and I am so glad I went back to it - nothing else is quite the same!

I like Origins too. Expensive, yes, but very long-lasting.

Recently I was in House of Fraser looking at the new Lancome day cream Absolue Precious Cells. Just looking, you understand, as a pot costs around £120!! The assistant gave me a little pot as a sample - just 7 ml - but that was a month ago and I have used it every day and only just finished it. They reckon a pot should last about a year. It was lovely to use and really suited my skin, and I am thinking about it seriously.

You know the little pots of things that you get as a Gift With Purchase when you buy two things or spend a certain amount? Clinique, Lancome, Estee Lauder, all do this. Well, you can usually buy these on eBay quite cheaply, and it is a good way of spending a small amount finding out whether something suits your skin or not - and if not, you avoid an expensive mistake.

Sticky - you recommended Darphin to me the other day, and although I haven't tried it yet, I have discovered that they sell it in Space NK. Now there's a shop I try to force myself to stay out of!!! Hugely expensive, but quite irresistible! My excuse for being in there this week was to suss out what gift packages they have in the hope that they will have a nice sale after Christmas! And to get some more Eve Lom Kiss Mix, which is my favourite Lip Balm.

*sighs* I wish I still lived somewhere with good shopping...the nearest good shops are 40miles away and the best shops there for cosmetics are Boots and Debenhams! Luckily the salons in my town are all pretty good but miss Space NK etc...*jealous*

Face cream I ahve all but given up on to be honest, bt may try out a few of these suggestions. Clinique sent me rushing to the sink and plenty of cold water when I used it. It stung like crazy!! I too am allergic to lanolin and ahve really dry skin.

As for body butter, I can't help but love the Body Shop range. I use Hemp formevery day. Not the best fragrance, but it is the only thing to ever work on my otherwise really rough skin. I absolutley love coconut to wear when need a tret. I jsut smother myself in it. Lovely. It's on offer at the mo, 20% off!

Lynda

I like the Dermalogica, Bliss and Elemis range but recently I have tried Avon products and must say I am very impressed!

Thanks!! All really good advise. Origins are having a 10% (possible 20%) off at house of fraser on 25-26th, so between now and then i plan to sus it all out!!!

xxxxxxxxx

I have cheap skin! ie it breaks out at the least excuse! I've done clinique, boots,avon, clarins etc but now I use the stuff from Aldi! (after reading about how good it was in the papers) and it suits me down to the ground! Only the day cream tho, I don't like the night cream. It's called Siana and costs £1.98/99! It really feels lovely, doesn't "sit" on top of your skin like the Protect and Perfect.

i am a bit lush addict and defo recommend their stuff and much more affordable than the expensive brands! tho they do now do some pricey moisturisers too! dream cream is a great body butter for sensitive skin and costs about a tenner a pot from what i remember! try the lush website for plenty reviews on all the items and in particular what is good for sensitive skins, also the staff are lovely and helpful! i know some people are put off by the strong smells but they make loads of lovely natural products for sensitive skin also!

X

Another range that I have used and liked is Boots' Time Delay. It is rather heavily perfumed, though.

I am using the cleanser and toner at the moment, and they are very good.

I'm a Clinique girl, but as you say Fern, skin changes and I now use their Redness Solution range and it is FAB! So cooling and soothing on the skin....no more flaky and red patches for me! woo hoo

LOl. aww my skin is so dry and sensitive, and the dryness has taken itself to a whole new level now, im actually peeling.

think i'm going to stick with origins as i found Darphin quite confusing and after having a facial with clinique its deffinatly too strong for my face i think.

xx

I love my Liz Earle - every now and then I will stray, either for money reasons or because I'm tempted by some slick advertising campaign, but I always goes back.

LOl. aww my skin is so dry and sensitive, and the dryness has taken itself to a whole new level now, im actually peeling.

think i'm going to stick with origins as i found Darphin quite confusing and after having a facial with clinique its deffinatly too strong for my face i think.

xx

LOL yeah Darphin seems a mine field when you look at the site 'cause it covers so many different variables - it took me having a meeting at the salon to know what to buy :)

Hope you like the origins stuff hun. If you don't, there is a range with Darphin that's good for sensitive skin. I'd say, from my experience, to us the hydraskin light stuff - it's aimed at more youthful skin and is very kind to it :)

Glad you got there in the end petal x

I love my Liz Earle - every now and then I will stray, either for money reasons or because I'm tempted by some slick advertising campaign, but I always goes back.

haha. Liz earle is lovley. my Oh's mother is a devote customer.

thanks sticky. im deffinatly going to look into a bit more anyways, as all your persuading etc had deffinatly got me thinking its worth looking into. going to have a look for a salon stocking it to have a chat with in the new year me thinks. x

I'm using Clarins since a few months and I have been rather happy with it. Anyway I think that skin is such a personal thing that it is possible that certain products don't go well even for same skin types.

Ive just ordered the Avon serum for older skin with Hylauronic Acid £20 not come yet Im a skin care addict but I am 52 and I do have wrinkles. I would buy the The Harley Street range if I could afford it

Back