Disappointed

babybo

After trying slimming world and failing miserably from home I decided to join a group and went to my first class on Monday. Have to say I was extremely disappointed. After the consultant explained how slimming world works we joined the rest of the group but the rest of the time was taken up with the consultant going round the group telling everyone their weight loss, after which it was time to leave. Must say that its really put me off going to class and am thinking of just going for weigh in and then leaving in future. Is this normal? Was expecting recipes, tips etc but nothing. By the way thank you to everyone who mentioned about the free membership in Bella mag, as would have been even more annoyed if had had to pay the £10.00 membership.

I've been going to slimming world for a couple of months and your first meeting sounds like mine was. Since then some meetings have had more tips, questions etc but I think it depends on how much time the consultant has as she has another group straight after ours. From reading some of the other threads the groups seem to vary quite a bit. SW make a big deal out of image therapy but like you, babybo, I don't know quite what it is achieving.

It sounds very much like the class I go to. I rarely stay to the group, I tend to weigh and go most of the time, because it's so boring and completely uninspiring. The C does offer tips etc occasionally, but they are always geared towards EE which is no use to me, as I only do Green days.

I agree with what you said i've been doing SW 5 weeks and the support is rubbish - 2 mins to be weighed and as you say rest of nearly an hour going round saying what people had lost or put on - then the raffle and thats it!

Hence now i weigh and run but then feel thats a lot of money just to use the scales?!

I'm afraid last week's meeting was my last. I stayed the same and my C lectured me and suggested I talk to my friend who had lost 5lbs and follow her example. Hmm I've only got 7lbs to target and have never lost 5lbs in a week - even at the beginning of the diet. I felt angry and humiliated and don't pay £5 to feel like that.

Sorry to hear your experiences, I have a fab group and although the format is the same, you get weighed, leader goes around to each person and have a chat about your week but we have a fantastic group and each person gives fantastic tips or recipes and i find that this is probably one of the reasons my weight has been coming off. some of the ladies even bring in tasters for everyone else to try and then we have raffle but i love my group and our leader is so supportive - least you girls have everyone on here to help you along the way xx

My group is the same, reads out what everyone has lost, but she gives out tips and information and also everyone gives tips and i think it generally works. I get bored easily anyway so i never stayed last time i started but i will be this time as some of the tips can be quite helpful

Same as my group and one of the reasons we have stopped going now. When there are 30ish people in your group and each one is spoken too it is hugely boring and when i have been at work all day, it is just too much.
I would rather listen to her talking about a different topic each week with some advice and maybe just pick out the people with the best results.

I'm afraid last week's meeting was my last. I stayed the same and my C lectured me and suggested I talk to my friend who had lost 5lbs and follow her example. Hmm I've only got 7lbs to target and have never lost 5lbs in a week - even at the beginning of the diet. I felt angry and humiliated and don't pay £5 to feel like that.

I do hope you are going to tell the consultant why you are leaving? Write or email and explain. Because nothing will improve if we don't complain.

I puesuaded my partner to come with me and he laughed saying it was like watching a female Peter Kay ... " so whose happy ..large you smiling ??? " the consultant has a strong Bolton accent . It does seem to be pay , get weighed then it for over an hour and hear weight loss / gain with people very unwilling to share tips / ideas / experience / food syns they love ... It's a long time to sit and lap like a alcoholics anonymous ...my partner says he isn't want to stay again ...we went or a first weigh in after a week and I was so upset I wanted to leave immediately ..the insult ant shouted my name ran over and tried to get us to stay but I was crying and too embarrassed everyone was looking

Our group format is similar, although sounds a lot more of a positive experience than your own. Members get weighed and take a seat whilst the rest of the group is getting weighed. There is tea and coffee for those who want it and there are always display boards/tables full of recipes, new products, syn values, etc. to browse whilst the consultant is busy giving the new members their "induction" talk.

Once everyone has been weighed, our C will give out any awards that people have achieved that night. She then goes onto the PDA and goes round members, talking about how their weeks have been. She doesn't just annouce peoples losses and/or gains, she asks how our week went, have we made anything yummy this week, has anything hindered us this week, what our plans are for next week etc. She makes it interesting. Instead of just hearing how much someone has lost or gained, we get to hear tips and advice. She also finds a positive for each member - even if you have had a tough week and/or had a gain, you will be applauded for having the courage to come to group and face the scales.

We regularly have taster sessions where members are encouraged to make/bring something to group for others to try! And we have some nights where we play games too, such as "Speed/SuperSpeed bingo", pass the parcel with a twist, etc.

I always stay to group. For me, it is enjoyable, and is a bit of "me" time. I have made some fantastic friends and look forward to group each week!

It really saddens me to read posts like this. I have such a fantastic consultant and it's a shame that not every group is like mine. Is there another group in your area you check out and maybe switch to if it seems more appropriate for you?

Hence now i weigh and run but then feel thats a lot of money just to use the scales?!
Don't forget that you get full access to SW online for that fiver too!

I suppose I don't find my group inspiring because a lot of the people there have been going for well over a year, and never lose anything. They trot out the same excuses every week why they have only lost 11lb in the past 8 months, or whatever. Whenever I do stay to the class, the C quickly skips over me and other members to get to her favourites, where they usually talk at length about how much alcohol they drink. I stopped finding things like that funny when I was in the sixth form.
The only reason I go to a group is because it's about a 10 minute walk away from where I live and is at 4.30 so I can go straight there from work. I know from experience that if I didn't attend a class, I just wouldn't have the notivation to stick to the diet. I intend to get to target and keep going to get weighed without having to pay.

sorry for the rant xx

Last edited:
I think most classes are varied. Some are just talking about weight losses/ gains but there are also tasting nights, recipe ideas, tips etc. Try staying at class next time and see what you think :)

I'm actually quite glad to see that I'm not the only person who was disappointed with the group. It took months for me to pluck up the courage to go to a group and I attended for 8 weeks before leaving. For me it was just doing a circuit of the room, the same people doing all the talking and a massive amount of irrelevant gossip. My consultant was nice but I didn't feel the support. I emailed and text her a couple of times needing support but she didn't reply. One week I had a total disaster and put on 4lbs and left in tears. I got a sympathetic pat on the shoulder but honestly thought she would text or phone me mid-week to see if I was back on track. But I heard nothing and that was the end for me. Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but from what I have read in SW magazine I expected a lot more.

Anyway I don't want to sound too critical, but I wanted much more diet tips and advice and more personal support. I'm considering joining online as I think forking out some money might force me to take it seriously. But I find the support here much better.

My friend and I were having a rare word with the consultant last night about how long the group takes and that is the reason we too don't stay, starts at seven and can be 9-30 before we arrive back home, I know it is nice to hear how each one is doing but when such a large group and some do like the sound of their own voices it can get quiet boring, I like the idea some one else mentioned which is talk to the one who lost most or gained that week, and have discussions about what can be done to maintain loss or help loss, feel going round each and every one is a waste of time, then anyone who needs help there would be more time for consultant to answare questions, twe never have time to talk about any ideas about meal plan or anything else, seriously thinking of just doing it at home, not inspiring me at all,

Back