Do you find that people see it as a challenge to lure you off the SW diet?

ChrisPoole

Majorly Motivated Mofo
Hello all my fellow SW Amigo's!

I thought I'd ask everyone about this because I often find that when I'm around friends and some family members they see it as some kind of fun game to try and lure me off the eating plan so I indulge in something bad. It's almost as if they get some kind of kick from of it.

Does anyone else get this kind of reaction from their friends or family members and if so I'd be very curious and interested to know how you best deal with it.

Me personally... I just think of how hard I've worked the previous week and how I want to have a rocking body by the summer. It works 9/10 but I have to say, sometimes (usually when I'm under the influence of alcohol) my friends win!

Let me know your thoughts everyone :D

Yes and then there's the friends who like a fat friend. I don't know about lads but woman are awful for this.
Work colleagues used to be worst ppl for this I thought. they didn't actually care about you but loved to see you fail or give in.
I'm single but I see on here how unsupportive ppls partners can be and I take my hat off to those doing this having to cook different meals and partners wanting to go out and take aways. I can cocoon myself

I'm very very lucky with my family. My mums even put up a none food treat for my 3 stone target.

I don't think they are trying to sabotage most times. You are seen as being boring and depriving yourself when you're on a "diet" or eating healthily, sometimes even fussy!! Most times they want to see you "enjoying" life by having drink or some cake.
Agree that girls get worries when their friends go on a diet in case they get thinner than them!

Yes and then there's the friends who like a fat friend. I don't know about lads but woman are awful for this.
Work colleagues used to be worst ppl for this I thought. they didn't actually care about you but loved to see you fail or give in.
I'm single but I see on here how unsupportive ppls partners can be and I take my hat off to those doing this having to cook different meals and partners wanting to go out and take aways. I can cocoon myself

I'm very very lucky with my family. My mums even put up a none food treat for my 3 stone target.

I do sometimes wish I could just cocoon myself away from all the temptations of going out etc but sadly my close group of friends are very pro-seeing each other and the kinds of things they want to do is often either going out or eating (two of my favourite past times). It's really good that your mum has a non food related treat planned for you. Any idea what it is??

I don't think they are trying to sabotage most times. You are seen as being boring and depriving yourself when you're on a "diet" or eating healthily, sometimes even fussy!! Most times they want to see you "enjoying" life by having drink or some cake.
Agree that girls get worries when their friends go on a diet in case they get thinner than them!

Haha do girls really get worries that their friends will be slimmer than they are?! This makes me laugh lol. I guess the advantage of being a guy is often they don't about being fatter or skinnier.

I think the root of my friends being a bad influence is that before I dieted I used to be the guy who would eat what he liked and drink what he liked because I felt it was more important to be happy than to lose weight. It wasn't until I realise that the 2 things were linked that I came to the conclusion that I couldn't be happy unless I was comfortable with the way I looked. So I've gone from being the eat/drink/up for anything kind of guy to being the plan my meals and spend most of my time in the gym now kind of guy.

It will all be worth while in the end though!

Yeah paid for spa night away, and she's babysitting for it. Only restriction was I had to drop 3 stone within a year but I'm nrly have way in 6 weeks so its not looking impossible. :)
What your friends make of you progress? Ur doing awesome, ull be so happy to be doing Florida so much lighter. Is it a boys holiday or family?

Yes girls do. Ego ego ego
Makes them feel better if there's a "fat" friend a group of friends I knew few years ago a woman lost about 7 stone she was now tiny and out "fit skinny" friend saw her first time since the loss and she said I've lost 7 stone skinny girl goes oh have you? Couldn't tell.
I was on floor chocked this woman looked great you could not believe it was her she lost so much.

I keep it to myself about following SW or whatever I am on. I can't stand people judging what I should and shouldn't be eating. They are either trying to get you to eat stuff you don't want to or telling you that you shouldn't be eating something.

I keep it to myself about following SW or whatever I am on. I can't stand people judging what I should and shouldn't be eating. They are either trying to get you to eat stuff you don't want to or telling you that you shouldn't be eating something.

Totally agree with this. I am so sick of people looking at me eating my lunch and giving me really unhelpful 'advice' about how maybe I should try a smaller portion or have this or that instead. I want to scream "who's the one that's lost a stone and a half here!!!" The funny thing is it's usually people who are always failing on 'diets' that try and give the advice...

I sometimes find that people are 'supportive' in the opposite way as well though. One of my work friends will go and get a biscuit and then say 'don't worry, I won't try and tempt you with one' then proceeds to put the packet away. What if I want one?!?!? I know she's trying to be nice though.

As for sabotaging, then, yes, I do have friends like that and I'm quite sure it is jealousy (although I hope that doesn't make me sound big headed!). The phrases "go on, one won't hurt" or "you've got to allow yourself a treat sometimes" come to mind.

Totally agree with this. I am so sick of people looking at me eating my lunch and giving me really unhelpful 'advice' about how maybe I should try a smaller portion or have this or that instead. I want to scream "who's the one that's lost a stone and a half here!!!" The funny thing is it's usually people who are always failing on 'diets' that try and give the advice...

I sometimes find that people are 'supportive' in the opposite way as well though. One of my work friends will go and get a biscuit and then say 'don't worry, I won't try and tempt you with one' then proceeds to put the packet away. What if I want one?!?!? I know she's trying to be nice though.

As for sabotaging, then, yes, I do have friends like that and I'm quite sure it is jealousy (although I hope that doesn't make me sound big headed!). The phrases "go on, one won't hurt" or "you've got to allow yourself a treat sometimes" come to mind.

I find that kind of behaviour more annoying that people who try to sabotage me! I teach in a Primary school, and the TA I work with used to say 'helpful' things like "There are cakes in the staffroom but I won't let you have one". I made it clear (in a nice way) that I'm the only person in my life who makes decisions about what I eat, and don't need anybody else doing it for me.

My old work place was the worst for this. They would reward us with treats and crap all the time lol no wonder I gained 2 stone working there lol.

I can't wait to start my new job now though as I will be on my feet more looking after a small team whereas before I was sat at a desk all day.

I find it hard when you go out for meals though and friends and family are like go on have a dessert, one won't hurt lol xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

From your initial post Chris....is it that your friends win or the alcohol wins?????? Its a sad case that most of us have little or no resolve once we've had a few drinks & temptation is harder to resist! Your friends are used to seeing you going out 'partying' & if you still go out & drink/eat the same, how do they know you're on a 'diet'?
Im not meaning to sound harsh, but it has to come from you by being open & honest with them & telling them you're following a healthy eating plan & over the next few months+, you will be abstaining/cutting back on the booze. Once they see that you're serious about cutting back, surely if they're good friends they will support & encourage you!
Sometimes we have to make some sacrifices & if it means not going out so much, can you do that?

See this is what I was hoping for!

It's good to see that so many people experience the same obstacles and challenges. I particularly agree with you Bev about people always trying to give their bits of advice about what you should eat instead of what you've been eating so far. The amount of "diet experts" who are around me always giving me advice is unreal. But as you said, I often feel like saying to them, "Come back when you have lost 2 stone in 6 weeks and then give me your expert advice!" lol. But that is the kind of thing that often inspires me the most, I know you should do things for yourself a lot of the time but sometimes I like to do things just to silence others. In this case I am doing it for myself and to silence others in one swoop.

Kim.

All of my friends are more than aware of my diets and I have stressed it to them as to just how serious I am about it however they still give me the pressures of eating bad foods and going out drinking etc. It is not because they are bad friends because they aren't, I think it's more a case of how guys work. They'd much rather go out and get wasted and chat to girls with me rather than without me. I guess they just don't realise that's not me anymore. I'm sure they will though.

But yes, as for making the sacrifice, I 100% can and will make it. This for me is the last missing piece of the jigsaw that is my life and I feel that once the Journey is over and the weight is lost then it really will be a case of having a normal life again.

See this is what I was hoping for!

Kim.

All of my friends are more than aware of my diets and I have stressed it to them as to just how serious I am about it however they still give me the pressures of eating bad foods and going out drinking etc. It is not because they are bad friends because they aren't, I think it's more a case of how guys work. They'd much rather go out and get wasted and chat to girls with me rather than without me. I guess they just don't realise that's not me anymore. I'm sure they will though.

But yes, as for making the sacrifice, I 100% can and will make it. This for me is the last missing piece of the jigsaw that is my life and I feel that once the Journey is over and the weight is lost then it really will be a case of having a normal life again.

Most friends are good friends & want whats best for you, but surely if you carry on going out with them "getting wasted", how do they not see you being any different, so will treat you the same??
Can you go out & not drink? I appreciate peer pressure is very hard to resist & we all want to go out & have fun, but if the temptation is too great, dont go out or only go out once a week or every other week?!
Chris, Im only playing devils advocate here, as I've been there & know how hard it is x

It's not just getting there though, it's STAYING there, so all your hard word in the first place, isn't ruined. Although I've been at target for 2 years, I don't feel like my journey is over. To stay where I got to, I've had to make it a lifestyle change. People do try and sabotage you, sometimes unknowingly and sometimes because if you are successful, then they may have to make changes themselves and they're not ready to.

Most friends are good friends & want whats best for you, but surely if you carry on going out with them "getting wasted", how do they not see you being any different, so will treat you the same??
Can you go out & not drink? I appreciate peer pressure is very hard to resist & we all want to go out & have fun, but if the temptation is too great, dont go out or only go out once a week or every other week?!
Chris, Im only playing devils advocate here, as I've been there & know how hard it is x

I agree that I do myself no favors by going out etc but I guess I feel like the reason SW works for me is because it enables me to live a more normal life than most other diets allow. As for going out and not drinking, I have to say I haven't really tried it yet. I'm not sure I'd enjoy a night out like that to be honest. But the solution I'm going to implement is to just stop nights out for now. I don't think spending the money and the hangovers are worth the possible weight gains if I'm honest.

Bring on movie nights in!! haha

Oh this is so so true!! My mum's the worst for it - I'll tell her I'm being healthy and she'll really try to help me by cooking a low fat dinner if I go to see her, but then she'll bring out about 5 desserts and tell me she bought them especially for me and that I'm allowed them because I've had a healthy meal, and that they'll go to waste if I don't eat them :( It's taken a lot of firm "no's" and a few upsets for her to understand that I really am not going to eat things just because she puts them in front of me! But it's so hard when temptation is waved in your face.... I can see why I put on weight as a teenager looking back! But luckily my housemate who I live with now is really good and also lost weight with SW so is very supportive :D

A lot of the time yes, but in my mum's case no!! She's a proper sweet toothed chocolate monster! How she was a size 8 when she had me I'll never know....

Back