Do you really need to attend meetings?

mouse1

The last time I was at WW I lost little weight over 4/5 months, I wasn't motivated at all.

This time I am doing it myself with the help of an app on my android phone - you cannot cheat with it if you put what you are eating in it! I have lost 8lbs since 30th December, without the help of a leader or being weighed in a class.

I attendedmeetings for the first 3 months and then stopped cause the leader was not very good.
I then had a period of not doing very well although I did keep the 2 stone I lost off.
I am now back on the plan and using an app for my ipad which I love and this week have lost 2 lbs.
I do have the cookbooks and I find if I track properly I will lose. Keeping the 2 stone off has been huge for me cause I am hypothyroid so now hoping to lose another four stone by end of this year.
Wishing you luck .

I attended meetings for about 8 weeks and lost every week, however I had a little blip and missed a coupple of weeks. When I went back the consultant didn't even acknowledge that I had missed those weeks. When I done slimming world the consultant would either email, text or phone me when I had missed a week. As a result I decided to stop going to the group and just signed up for the esource online. I am doing just as well doing it this way and I don't get frustrated at the lack of support. I thought the point of attending meetings was that when you were struggling the consultants were there to help and get you back on track. I think most people would agree that you join groups like this because you can't go it alone.

I'm an online member this time as I just can't deal with the post mortem if I put weight on. I'm doing it for me this time and its very personal this time... and I've lost 5st 2.5 so far in 14mths. I've only lost 4st the previous times. I do lurk on here though and buy the mag.

Sent from my HTC Desire using MiniMins

It sounds like we are all doing well without meetings. I think that once you understand the programme and have a means of tracking it via app/internet you will do just as well as long as you are motivated. Good luck in your weight loss journey.

Additionally for the price of attending I instead spend the money on weightwatchers crisps, biscuits, meals etc. They are getting plenty of money off me just by me following the programme.

I'm back on we after a year off and not going to classes. I can't afford to pay dd in one go each month and I'm not paying the weekly fee after they increased it! I've put on a lot of weight in a year but I've had fun so not fussed. Time to get it off so pulled out the books I got and got an app for my phone. It can e done without going to classes!

8 years ago I lost 6 stone doing WW on my own at home, no class no online membership since then I have put most of the weight back on, Ive tried classes both SW and WW but this time I have decided to try and recreate the thoughts and feelings I had first time and do it alone. I do have online membership at the moment (because it was a good deal) but thats coming to an end soon when I get my new phone and there's an app that everyone is raving about (baiscally the same as the WW app but without the recipe builder), I think if you are in he right frame of mind then it can work going it alone. I have a friend also doing WW who helps motivate me so that really helps - and of course this website!

Guys, you can do it! You just need to be in the right frame of mind and the app is brill because it makes tracking simple. You can store all your favourite foods in the memory. It has made WW a whole lot easier and I can no longer excuse "accidental mistakes" when I guessed, got the points wrong, forgot etc. I am losing weight at a faster rate than at WW, it is down to willpower, exercise and tracking with the app. Good luck!

Last edited:
dizzydelly said:
Which app do you all use?
Thanks x

WWDiary which is free for Android

With WWDiary and the online calculator (WeightWatchers Daily ProPoints Target Calculator) is there any real need to go to a WW class?

Is there a good resource online that will show what the main parts of the plan are or would it be better to sign up to one class and then maybe decide whether to go again or not?

I'm not really fussed about going to a weekly wiegh in - I am happy with doing that at home

Thanks!

Phil

What I meant re: going to one meeting - is there much literature which is given out at the first meeting you attend which would be useful or can I find the 'essentials' online?

Meetings are useful to get ideas and literature, but I have been to so many of them I now see them as a waste if both time and money. The best thing I learned from meetings is the idea of discarding your clothes when you lose weight, this is the best prevention of weight gain ever!

Thanks for your reply :)

Do you think I need to sign up and go to a meeting to get the info I need, or with the Android app and this points calculator (WeightWatchers Daily ProPoints Target Calculator) and a bit of reading to find the 'rules' can I do it myself?

Thanks again!

I started WW on Monday. I decided to do just that - go to a meeting, had a coupon for free membership so only paid £6 for the week - wanted to get weighed, find out the info (as I didnt know much about WW, im used to SW), get the books (you get a track, recipe and meal plans, general points book). Then I was thinking "great i will take this stuff and do it from home" cos tbh I cannot afford £6 a week (I'm a poor PGCE student!) but actually, I stayed for the meeting and I enjoyed it. It was about portion control, something I have struggled with forever - and found it useful. My group weren't a 'happy clappy lets talk about our feelings' group either!

Going to go back next week, to buy a calculator and some books and get a month subscription for £20 to give me access to the online stuff too. I think I will eventually stop going, but only after I have reached a certain goal - perhaps until my 10%! Or until my money runs out lol! whichever is sooner! and then continue at home

I must say all i've had this week is WW products so they are already pointed, the pocket book you get and this forum and i've done pretty good! Tbh though, if you really cannot be bothered going to a group, then look on ebay cos people are selling the full starter packs :)

xx

I think it all boils down to how motivated you are, if you are very motivated you should be able to do it alone. If you need the group and to be weighed by the leader this can be a good source of motivation and information.

I have never attended a meeting! My friend got told she needed to lose 3 stone! Who is it for a stranger to tell you how much to lose!

Anyway if your motivated you can do it alone! It depends how you are as a person!

i used to go to meetings and was motivated but then final year uni stress and sitting down for hours on the computer doing essays and, exam revision and dissertations, coupled with family issues and i stopped going for 2 months. I decided to go back and resume my weight watchers but when the lady weighed me, she looked at me with disgust and said she has never known anyone on WW to put on 6 pounds. I was so embarrassed especially because there was a cue of people behind me who all heard, and i ran out and never went back.

Now im doing it all on my own and am soo happy and motivated that i can do this without going to a meeting where people are supposed to support you and not insult you and besides ive found a lot more support on this forum

Good luck everyone :)

Last edited:
what days do you weigh in?

Back