Doctor advised SW to me...

I thought that some GP's offer a 12 week membership to SW, if your GP is saying you should enrol surely they could sign you up for the 12 weeks?

They do, depending on where you live, BUT if OP suffers from social anxiety and going to a group is out of the question, then they would be wasting their time and budget on offering her a place on this. To my knowledge, GPs do not offer to fund the online membership - as it is the "going to a group and being accountable for what you eat" aspect which is a massive contributing factor to a successful attempt.

Exactly, my doctor didn't mention going to the classes/meetings and that's probably because of my social anxiety disorder so she didn't think it'd be realistic or maybe she didn't think I'd like the idea, which in all honesty I don't. I am aware that the classes are the best and by being part of them it's more beneficial to weight loss and success, but for me their just out of the question. I find it difficult stepping foot into shops like tesco etc and have panic attacks so have my groceries delivered - I'm not good with people or crowds!

I've found a lot of 2012 starter packs on eBay, I've messaged a few sellers asking them to sell the item to me now for £25 - which is what they seem to be selling for - and to ship out to me today 1st class so hopefully I'll have the pack tomorrow or Friday to make a start.

starting weight - 13st o goal weight - 10st

Someone mentioned this on another thread but why don't you buy the magazine it's about £3 and gives a weeks worth of menus. If you hurry you'll get the old one and the new one will be out soon but will be around for a month. So once you've gone through the older one you could buy the new one after a couple of weeks and there will prob be another weeks worth of menus. Not sure if this still works out expensive but stick with the info on here and you can't go far wrong. It's a great resource. I find it much more helpful than the classes and you can be sure that no matter what you post someone will have an idea or suggestion. I think the only thing that can be difficult if you don't have the books is the lists of free and superfree and healthy extras and they are the mainstay of the diet. In the weekly menus in the mag they are all included. Good luck with it all.

The book you have ordered and google are the most importnat things you need. I tend to google my syns (usually directs me to this site) as it's easier than the sw website!
Coose a weigh-in day and time and stick to it. If you can go to somewhere like Boots to weigh once a week, many people find it keeps them more disaplined than weighing at home.

Good luck!

I suggest with the pack in hand you read it all through very carefully and slowly and then keep browsing through it all the time.

Any questions you can ask us and there are plenty of recipe ideas and other support.

Don't worry about being on a restrictive diet. With SW I've never tried so many new foods and eaten so well. I've found some recipes that I love to make and are super fast too as a bonus.

I had less than half my weekly sins but by looking in that orange book I managed to make better choices and most of those sins went to 2 takeaways! I could have even had a third big one if I had wanted last night.
You really don't feel deprived of a lot and if you do, there's generally something you can always do to solve that.

Good luck.

I managed to get a 2012 starter pack for £27 with first class postage & the seller sent it out earlier so fingers crossed it'll be here tomorrow. I'll make sure to read it over thoroughly and make sure I understand everything before I make a start :)

Thanks everyone, all been a huge help and nice to see so many replies with people willing to help too! I don't have my books etc yet so obviously don't know - but what's the deal with things like nutri grains or oatso simple cereal bars on SW? Are they a no go? I have quite a lot here that I take to work as their easy but if their disallowed I'll give them to my mum or sister!

There's nothing you can't have on SW but both the things you've mentioned need to be synned. You can use 1 syn for every 20 calories to work out the syn values for these particular products and then decide whether they are something you want to spend your syns on :)

Oh I see :) so the oatso simple bars for example are 141kcals, so that's 7 syns?

Thank you :) I'll bear that in mind when these are all gone and I go food shopping. I wish I had my pack and books now so I could read up on everything!

I joined SW at group, and to be honest I have learned more from this forum than I have learnt there. I do still go to group every week, and even stay to the meetings, but to be honest I am not sure how much it really helps. I have alot more weight than you to shift, so I am trying everything I can to stick at it. If you can stick at it on your own, you'll definitely succeed. SW is great once all the info sinks in and becomes a way of life. Enjoy :) And do keep using the forums, they have really helped me in the months since I joined, and I am a lifelong dieter :)

Thank you :) I'll definitely stick to this forum, they've been so helpful the past few months! And that's exactly what I wanted, a diet that becomes a lifestyle change rather than a daunting depriving diet! I'm so eager for my pack to come now to learn more! What sort of things do you all eat on a normal daily basis on SW?

Just wanted to say good luck! I also have an anxiety disorder, and weigh in at home. Once you get into a pattern SW is really easy to manage. I tend to do Extra Easy days, and eat:

Breakfast: either Weetabix and milk (using up my HexA and HexB) or a fry up at weekends (bacon without fat, egg, mushrooms, beans)

Lunch: Often have leftovers from dinner, or salad with ham, new potatoes, etc

Dinner: SW versions of cottage pie, stir fry, steak & SW chips (spud and butternut squash) & mushrooms

I try to snack on fruit first (but am not always successful!)

The things I always have in the cupboard are loads of veg, eggs (omelette is always a good emergency meal), fry light, mug shots, Alpen light bars and muller light yoghurts. I tend to save my syns for treats (Alpen lights, minimilks and booze!!).

There's loads of recipes and ideas on here - I find this site far better than SW online.

I really hope all goes well - its definitely worth joining one of the weekly weigh in threads, and when I feel like grabbing a Dairy Milk I look at the inspiration threads!

Thanks both :) having a nose on these boards until my pack comes and I can learn more! How do people go about things like chocolate? Do you allow yourself a bar of chocolate once in a while & use your syns for them?

A lot of people round here will eat chocolate daily, treat sized bars that come in the big multipacks are normally 4 syns, Mikado sticks are a favourite with only half a syn each... some ice lollies too are really good! I think there is a thread where everyone lists their favourite treats with syn values.

That's cool, I have a sweet tooth so now and again think I'd need some chocolate to keep me sane! Lol. I'm reading through some threads on the SW boards and just getting confused, obviously cause I'm not up to scratch with the diet just yet - like people saying their plan is red, green and extra easy? I know what each thing means, but do you construct your own plans then?

Oh I see, but do you have to stick to that the entire time or can you swap and change plans each week?

Oh I see, but do you have to stick to that the entire time or can you swap and change plans each week?

I swap through the week, I try 4 days with red and the other 3 will be EE - I lose most weight on red but its too restrictive for me to do every day! I think the most common plan is EE though and might be worth just focusing on that one for the first couple of weeks, and then try switching it up.

Is extra easy a combination of both red and green then? I wish the postman would hurry up so I could know more! Lol

Back