Dodgy Thyroid

Sarah-Louise

Hi Guys,
Haven't been online for a while as sooooo tired this week. Anyway - I feel fine today. Went for my 7th WI and lost another 4lb so that's 32lbs in total. Don't get me wrong I'm really pleased but doesn't seem to be coming of as fast as some of you guys - I was wondering if it because I also take thyroxine hormone? Anyone else on it? x

Not sure hun? But a massive well done on your loss xxx
ps your losses look good to me x

Thanks Gary - I know they are great compared to the conventional - I just get a bit impatient at times!! x

your a women babe thats normal I bet sometimes you moan and have a bad temper as well, lol xxx

Me Gary - no way!!! I was brought up in a mans world so soon worked out just to shut up cos you chaps don't listen anyway lol x

Well done on your weight loss, dont forget you are expected to lose a stone a month so you have done better than expected.....be proud of your achievement

lol xx

Hi Guys,
Haven't been online for a while as sooooo tired this week. Anyway - I feel fine today. Went for my 7th WI and lost another 4lb so that's 32lbs in total. Don't get me wrong I'm really pleased but doesn't seem to be coming of as fast as some of you guys - I was wondering if it because I also take thyroxine hormone? Anyone else on it? x
Hiya, by taking thyroxine i'm guessing you have underactive thyroid. Welcome to the club I also take it for same reason. With the thyroid package a common symptom is excessive weight gain, easy weight gain and difficulty losing it so unfortunately we have to expect a slower rate of weight loss. BUT.... I've lost over 2st so far. I started end of march and had 3 weeks off LT during april so its been not too bad. Yes I've had a few 1lb loss weeks but for past few weeks i've lost 4lb.

If you need anymore info just ask, I've been swotting up xx

Youre weight loss is fab!!!! well done hun ...mine havent been massiv either...not sure why but i suppose everyone is different!!!

With the thyroid package a common symptom is excessive weight gain, easy weight gain and difficulty losing it so unfortunately we have to expect a slower rate of weight loss.

Sorry, but I have to disagree here. If you have an underactive thyroid, then you should be on medication. If you are, then your thyroid isn't underactive anymore...well, it is, but the medication has brought you back up to normal.

Assuming your thyroid levels are now correct, then you should lose at a normal level, which is about a stone a month.

If it's still being tweaked by the doctor, then no doubt you are on thyroxine anyway, so you are probably close to normal, and therefore the weight symptoms should be so minimal.

So, Sarah-Louise, your weightloss is slightly higher than most peoples :clap: Rejoice :D

Im on thyroxine have been for the past 8 years we take animal thyroxine which is similar but not the same as a human produces my doctor told me that it does the job but not like my own i will never feel 100% again like i used to and sarah louise i totally agree with ya it doesnt come off as fast as outhers example of how slow my metabolism is if my husband has a dodgie tummy on monday mornin i know im gonna have it by tue mornin tryed and tested loads of times !!!!!!!!!!! But i must say this is the only diet that has worked for me and so far im really chuffed and dont care how long it takes aslong as it comes off

Im on thyroxine have been for the past 8 years we take animal thyroxine which is similar but not the same as a human produces my doctor told me that it does the job but not like my own i will never feel 100% again like i used to and sarah louise i totally agree with ya it doesnt come off as fast as outhers

Except it is for Sarah-Louse :D

I've taken thyroxine for umm, about 15 years, after suffering from an underactive thyroid for about 10 years previously (doctor refused to test me until I had 3 miscarriages).

Even now my thyroid levels always come out as low, and I always blamed my thyroid for everything :D...well, until I got to goal.

As it happens, even on thyroxine, and with low thyroid results, I still managed to lose on average 3-3.5lbs a week if I stuck to the diet.

I notice that with other people aswell over the years. Of course, if my thyroid had been totally to blame for my gaining weight, then my whole journey would have been easier. I could have probably done CD and maintenance without a worry, not having any eating problems, but alas, my food issues were a much bigger problem than my thyroid ever was (weight/foodwise).

Hi Guys,
I have just started lipo today and I also have an underactive thyroid so heres hoping it wont take longer. well done on what uve already achieved

Sorry, but I have to disagree here. If you have an underactive thyroid, then you should be on medication. If you are, then your thyroid isn't underactive anymore...well, it is, but the medication has brought you back up to normal.

Even if you are on a steady dose and your levels are normal it doesn't get rid of all the symptoms. I was told this by the doctors when I was diagnosed. I still feel cold most of the time (even when I'm not on LT) and I'm tired and sleep alot, but thats nothing compared with what I was like before so i'm grateful for the change I've got.

Theres a really good book out called The Thyroid Diet by Mary J Shomon and it really goes into detail about the condition before looking at dieting. I really reccommend it to anyone with same trouble.

I had an overactive thyroid 17yrs ago and had to have most of the gland removed then and so have been underactive since. I agree with babybosweets. what we get is synthetic and not as good as the real thing. My metabolism is MUCH slower since the surgery. I have however found a new doctor that is implementing a new method of treatment that is being used in the US.

The tyroid produces 2 hormones T3 and T4. In Ireland anyway, the hospitals only check T4 (at least usually). Now T4 is the raw form and the body breaks it down to T3 which is the usuable form. Now they have discovered that some people who take thyroxine (T4) don't convert it well to T3 which is the usuable form. So we have normal T4 levels but low T3 (which is never checked). We don't convert and so still have underactive thyroid symptoms even though T4 is within the normal range. For example my resting heart rate was 58 bpm when on t4 alone which is way too low since I am not fit. Now on the new regime it is 64 bpm. Now I no longer get palpatations!

I am now on a new regime of T4 and T3 (2 separate medications). I am on it about 6 months and feel like a new person and I swear my metabolism is much improved! I have much more energy and I drained a lot of fluid from my face within 2 weeks of starting them (that real bloated look).

So google it girls and find someone in you area that is treating this way and swap docs!

All that said Sarah Louise I think you loss is perfect!

KD - I would definitely swap doctors if I were you. Your doc should be shot for refusing to do a simple blood test until you had suffered the emotional turmoil of 3 miscarriages. I am sorry for your losses hun! Hugs!

Thanks Sara i'm due for checkup soon so will definately mention that. My Mums got hypo same as me and we both have trouble with metabolism so will get her to check it out too xx

Good info sarah i will check it out when i next go to the docs as my tests always come back as normal and i have to rant and rave to get my dosage uped

Back