Does knowing the syns make you think again?

loufm

Is anyone else like me and once they know a syn in something they think twice about putting in their mouth, ice cream is one, it's not huge but some of the syns in that it's like:eek:

loufm said:
Is anyone else like me and once they know a syn in something they think twice about putting in their mouth, ice cream is one, it's not huge but some of the syns in that it's like:eek:

Lol yes all the time

Oh yes, I do think 'do I want to spend X amount of syns on that' sometimes I say yes sometimes no, it all depends on how I'm feeling.

Yep, some things are just not worth it!

Yup, haven't had a sausage roll in a year. Don't miss them hugely, but do fancy one occasionally.
Also anything battered sends me into a tizzy, and I only have butter if there's no other option.

I think it affects everyone, I guess it's the whole aim of the plan.

For me, the biggest no-no now that I know the Syn values is McDonalds. Pre Slimming World I would eat 2-3 per week. Now it's very rare that I have 1 per month - the Syn values are just sky high!

xx

But the great thing about the plan is that you can choose what to eat, choose how you want to spend your syns, but because you know you have a limited amount of syns, you spend them the way that you feel you're getting the best value for ....
So if I wanted mcdonalds I'd look at a big mac and have to decide whether it was the burger or 2&1/2 pints of beer....'cos I know it's not gonna be both....but the choice is mine & mine alone

Definitely. Although i'm in my second week - syns are oon the brain all the time. even chatting to friends who aren't on sw, when i think a packet of crisps can be 14odd sysns, or a bar of chocolate.

even when i think about what i'd eat and drink in the past...during the weekend,i'd easily go through a bottle of spirits....and technically,it'd be 80syns.... that's not counting the pizza,chips,bread,etc i'd stuff my face with. no wonder i put the weight on! lol
when i'm out shopping, i'm very syn consious of what goes in the shopping trolley. but i think it's a good way to be. :)

I think its the fact that we dont know what we are eating is why the uk has such a high percentage of obesity - its blown my mind the amount of syns in some of the things i used to eat without worrying.
Whe I watched 'great british bake off' i was horrified to see how much fat was in a croissant. Never again will one pass my lips yet i used to eat a couple a week and not even consider the damage.
My sw journey may be long / slow but i am already greatfull for what i know now.

I am amazed at how many syns are in some things....it seems that I think the same as some....'god, thats just not worth it!'. I'm not suprised that I got so heavy now, there was a point in time where I was making excuses for my weight and telling people that I don't really eat THAT much. But I now see that I was just KIDDING MYSELF!!! It feels good to have accepted my weight for what it is, I can now move on an do something about it! :)

"I think its the fact that we dont know what we are eating is why the uk has such a high percentage of obesity"

i'd agree with that.
also the fact that junk food is so cheap -just look at the likes of poundland,bm,etc i used to think nothing of eating a couple of (big) milka bars at lunchtime but i'd not even try calculating that now. when i think about earlier this year, i probably was just living on junkfood for a few weeks on end. but i'd say booze is probably my major downfall, and again - the offers on it (esp leading up to xmas) can be mental.this year however i'm not going to be doing my usual drinkathon around the xmas period,it just isn't worth it.

"I think its the fact that we dont know what we are eating is why the uk has such a high percentage of obesity"

i'd agree with that.
also the fact that junk food is so cheap -just look at the likes of poundland,bm,etc i used to think nothing of eating a couple of (big) milka bars at lunchtime but i'd not even try calculating that now. when i think about earlier this year, i probably was just living on junkfood for a few weeks on end. but i'd say booze is probably my major downfall, and again - the offers on it (esp leading up to xmas) can be mental.this year however i'm not going to be doing my usual drinkathon around the xmas period,it just isn't worth it.

The thing is now we now we can make proper choices, rather than blindly making choices. So if you 'choose' to have the alcohol, you know to cut down in another way.

Back