Does slimming world actually work????

Hello

I have just found this site. Have been doing ww since last may, have lost 2 stone.

I still have 1 stone to loose, I have stayed the same weight since october last year, no longer counting points and maintaining this weight well but cannot shift the last stone!!

I am considering joining slimming world, I just looked at the free 7 day menu but im frightened of the portion sizes after weighing food for so long and dont understand how eating so much can give you a loss at the scales????

Please explain!!!

Colette x

Hi, Well basically it works by 'free' food being filling and satisfying which means you don't need as much of it. This keeps the calories you consume at meal times down even though you feel you're eating loads. We don't count calories but best way to describe it to new comers. When you snack on superfree and most free foods you consume very few calories. The healthy extra's are there for fibre and calcium to make sure we're healthy and the syns are so we don't feel deprived. This means we're much less likely to fail. I know that's not very technical but is my explanation. Hope that helps a little.:)

thanks girls for the reply. its so hard to get your head around. i could understand the red/green day system, but dont get the easy extra, healthy extra/ a and b things, why is it so complicated!!!! i was the same with ww to start with tho, working out points values. If i only have a small amount to loose do you think it is worth doing? or is it a better plan to follow for big weight losses? (hope this makes sense??!!) x

I know it seems a little complicated to begin with but it's actually pretty simple once you're used to it so don't worry it doesn't stay that way.:) This thread may help
http://www.minimins.com/slimming-wo...d-advice-new-comers-including-extra-easy.html

There are a lot of people with a smallish amount to lose who do it successfully. A lady at my group only had 7lbs to hit target, she attends every week to help her maintain and loves it.

Should I become a sales woman? :giggle:

Good luck getting used to it, it will feel strange but not for long. Have a good weekend.:)

lovely laura would you be able to clarify.....

you can eat as much fruit and veg as you want.

If you do an 'original' day you can have as much fruit and veg as you want, plus lean meat, low fat cottage cheese, fish etc (are eggs included here). Also, on a red day does this mean no carbohydrates at all? only meat?

On a 'green' day, as much fruit and veg as you want, plus pasta, rice, couscous (is this just wholemeal or white or either?) and can you eat meat on this day?

If I wanted a piece of wholemeal bread, this would be a healthy extra, yes? would i have to count it in my syns for the day?

If I wanted a portion of low fat cheddar cheese with a meal would this be a healthy extra or a syn or both?

sorry for all the questions!!!!

Questions are fine.:) You have the hang of it already! I'd suggest joining a group if possible even if it's just for the latest information and access to the website to check specific foods but people do it alone too so whatever is best for you.

lovely laura would you be able to clarify.....

you can eat as much fruit and veg as you want. Yes

If you do an 'original' day you can have as much fruit and veg as you want, plus lean meat, low fat cottage cheese, fish etc (are eggs included here). Also, on a red day does this mean no carbohydrates at all? only meat? Eggs are free on any day. You can syn your carbohydrates on a red day or some can be used as a healthy extra. There's no need to stay away completely.

On a 'green' day, as much fruit and veg as you want, plus pasta, rice, couscous (is this just wholemeal or white or either?) and can you eat meat on this day? White is fine and the same as above for the meat on a green day.

If I wanted a piece of wholemeal bread, this would be a healthy extra, yes? would i have to count it in my syns for the day? Just as your HE, some types you can have 2-3 slices for a HE, no syns.

If I wanted a portion of low fat cheddar cheese with a meal would this be a healthy extra or a syn or both? HE, no syns.

sorry for all the questions!!!!

Yes you can. All free food on green and red days are also free on EE but you need to have at least 1/3 superfree (non starchy veg and fruit) with every meal. This limits the amount of the free foods you eat and some how works. It's better to snack on superfree too rather than free food when you do EE. You only get 1 healthy extra A and B whereas on red/green you get 2 every day.

Last question (for now at least)!!!

Extra Easy. What is all this about??!! you can have both meats and carbs??????

You have to try the extra easy, it is absolutely fab-u-lous!!!!
I too was a weight watchers fan, but sometimes there is too much food deprivation when u have ate all ur points! With this diet, u get peckish, eat some free foods! I am sat here eating crab sticks (not everyones cup of tea!) and gonna have me a slice of melon!
I started back last week, and I lost 7.5 lbs this week, I love it!!! :kissass:

Good luck x

SW does work and it is fantastic - I'd never consider doing anything else. I've got a huge amount of weight to lose but in 17 weeks have lost 4 stone 3.5 pounds and I'm eating more than I have ever eaten in my life - properly healthy meals with healthy snacks inbetween if neccessary and you never have to feel deprived.

Loads of weight or just a couple of pounds it will work. I imagine that if you have only a few pounds to lose you will have to food optimise to the letter and probably stick to 10 syns but it will happen, even if it's a pound a week, you'll see them melt away.

hi

I used to calorie count at 800 calories a day and I was dubious when I first started, I was really scared I was eating too much and now I can tell you it is the best diet in the world and I've even tried atkins.

good luck

I'd agree with what everyone else has said, I started SW 4 weeks ago and have lost 11.5lbs so far eating normal healthy food.

Good luck x

Back